"The Trailer" is home! - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #161

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I had ETI just leave them off and added my own later.
This is my plan too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #162

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Thanks for all the references on where you bought the items for your trailer mods. I'm keeping it all to use when we pick up our trailer.

On the side to side leveler installed by ETI, is it on the front of the trailer or the back of the trailer?
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #163

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Thanks for all the references on where you bought the items for your trailer mods. I'm keeping it all to use when we pick up our trailer.

On the side to side leveler installed by ETI, is it on the front of the trailer or the back of the trailer?
rear is side to side, by the door is front to rear....
Old 12-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #164

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Sorry about the confusion: I mentioned the side-to-side level as being on the front (which is the location I'm used to), but Escape puts it on the back. It just needs to be on a vertical surface that runs across the trailer - it's on the back of the body, but it could be on the front of the body, or on an interior wall, or on a suitably oriented bracket on the frame or the tongue.

People using devices such as the BAL Tire Leveler would be better off with a level mounted near each wheel, but to mount on the side wall a bubble level indicator would need to stick out perpendicular to the trailer wall.

Bubble levels are cheap - I say stick another one anywhere you find it useful.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #165

I found this to be very useful when alone to help leveling https://www.amazon.com/Camco-25505-E...railer+leveler
Attached Thumbnails
719FwG1b8BL._SL1500_.jpg  
Old 12-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #166

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd like to see more discussion about how a bubble level could defy the laws of physics and not work properly. I know the level has to be mounted level, and once that's done, can't imagine what could go wrong.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd like to see more discussion about how a bubble level could defy the laws of physics and not work properly. I know the level has to be mounted level, and once that's done, can't imagine what could go wrong.
Since they use tape adhesive, there is some movement, which I use to make the trailer level when it is "close enough for government work" set ups. So they can be played with a little.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #168

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Jim, I use the Camco EZ Level and love it. The flashing red light (low prong) to steady green lights (opposite prongs level) make it very intuitive and highly visible day or night. I caught it on "open box" sale at a Camping World store for $20.00 a few years back. Very useful tool and fun gadget to play with.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #169
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
The one I saw was Dave&Kathies... the bubble was stuck! Almost like the liquid was a solid and it couldn't move. Really strange.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #170

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have a level app on my iPhone. Lets you choose type of level and is accurate as far as I can tell. Handy, cause it's always in my pocket.
Attached Thumbnails
Level App.jpg  
Old 12-05-2016, 04:08 PM   #171

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
I have a level app on my iPhone. Lets you choose type of level and is accurate as far as I can tell. Handy, cause it's always in my pocket.
How do you read it if it's in your pocket, does it talk?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Since they use tape adhesive, there is some movement, which I use to make the trailer level when it is "close enough for government work" set ups. So they can be played with a little.
Plus the adhesive is usual foam tape which makes it even less stable.

And more of this political talk. Careful, or you could get banned.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #173

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Smartphones (of all brands and types) typically have tilt sensors (actually set of accelerometers...) so there are free apps to display the level. It would be ridiculous to buy a multi-hundred-dollar device to do this, but if you have the device anyway, this makes a lot of sense.

There are probably apps which let you place the phone down flat on a horizontal surface, and show front-to-rear and side-to-side tilt at the same time.

As mentioned earlier, the belly trim is a pretty good place to put the level (or phone) to check the trailer (one direction at a time).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #174

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
As others have said, it's the adhesive mounting that isn't completely stable and can cause the level to move out of position.

But sometimes in structures like this it's more a question of "What's level?". Do you base it on the floor, the counter top, the table? Often there's a difference, when one's level the other isn't.

When I built my own table legs I decided the floor would be my reference point for all thing's level. According to my 4' level on the floor the ETI "level" isn't.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #175

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
The level that's on my Christmas wish list is electronic. It broadcasts to my iPhone and has excellent reviews. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FG...=IF1J5FACNDOR0

This is a trend for me - applications that display on my iPhone:
-- TPMS
-- Remote thermometer
-- Back up camera
-- (soon) left-right/front back level

The thing these have on common is that all are "part time" apps. I don't need a constant display.

My trailer's rear view camera displays on my Garmin GPS (RV 760LTM)
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #176

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
I'm a big fan of the KISS principle! I have a small magnetic level. When levelling side to side, I sit it across the rear bumper. When doing front-to-back, I just sit it on the metal gram on the front and watch it as I adjust it. Seems to work.

Laura, thanks for the great info re: the backsplash.
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #177

"The Trailer" is home!

I took the RV Technical Education & Safety Conference last year. (Excellent event - very educational! I highly recomend it.) I don't remember if it was Gary Bunzer or one of the other lecturers, but the point he made was (in my words)...

We're leveling because of the refrigerator. People are more tolerant of unlevel than the fridge.

Therefore the ultimate test is whether the fridge is level. He suggested that we start with a level set in the bottom of the fridge. Adjust the trailer so it is perfect. This requires two people or (in my case) running in and out of the trailer bunch of times. Once the fridge is just right, install the outside level indicators. Now you can know the fridge is level using only the outside indicators.

I use a Hopkins 04115 on the front of my Bigfoot 5er. It has a metal ball in a track. I installed it with command strips.

I put an Anderson leveler under the tire on the low side and drive forward (or back) onto the Anderson until the metal ball is centered at the bottom of the track. Then I deploy the landing gear and crank both sides down until it's level front to back. Usually I'm alone so I crank one side down four or five turns, go to the other side and crank it the same number of tires. Back and forth between the jacks cranking until it's level. I will soooooo love the electric landing gear on my 5.0 TA!!!!!

Here's a link to the front leveler. (It included a little bubble indicator for the side of the trailer.) https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000F...etal+Rear+View
Old 12-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #178

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
The level that's on my Christmas wish list is electronic. It broadcasts to my iPhone and has excellent reviews. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FG...=IF1J5FACNDOR0

This is a trend for me - applications that display on my iPhone:
-- TPMS
-- Remote thermometer
-- Back up camera
-- (soon) left-right/front back level

The thing these have on common is that all are "part time" apps. I don't need a constant display.

My trailer's rear view camera displays on my Garmin GPS (RV 760LTM)
When you travel alone, you have to "think out of the box." This along with the Anderson levelers should give me a viable way of leveling when I travel. Thanks for the suggestion and please comment on how it works when you get it set up.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:35 AM   #179

"The Trailer" is home!

Kevin,

If Santa brings it, I'll install it in my Bigfoot and give everyone a readout. If Santa skips my house, I may have to help him out.

You might also like to scroll up above your message to see the post I was editing while you posted. Anderson levelers are great!!

Rich
Old 12-06-2016, 08:11 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post

Here's a link to the front leveler. (It included a little bubble indicator for the side of the trailer.) https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000F...etal+Rear+View
I have this one awaiting install on my 5.0 It mounts on the pin box, and does front to back levelling too.
Wheel Masters: Level Master

What I did on my temp trailer that worked quite well was to just use a 6" magnetic torpedo level hung from the frame under the loft. First on a cross member, and secondly lengthwise, to achieve level. Worked great.

We have learned over the years that close enough is good. We make sure our heads are level or a bit elevated, and all else is fine.