Orientation - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2016, 09:22 PM   #61

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Hey, this is *exactly* what I needed to read/hear! thanks much for posting this. Makes me feel less overwhelmed at what all will be happening.
Sounds like you have to go in for surgery
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #62

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Huh? I'm sure there's some humor here, but I'm not seeing it. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:16 PM   #63

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Huh? I'm sure there's some humor here, but I'm not seeing it. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
"at what all will be happening". Anyway, hope you have a good orientation!!!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:25 PM   #64

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Not surgery, but as apprehensively exciting.

We did have to walk down the hall at ETI to use the restroom before we left for Sumas; ( no adhesions here! )
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:28 AM   #65

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
pick up new trailers

We did it in 2010 and again in 2013, each time a quick walk through, set up the hitch and away we went to the Seattle area and the next day farther South. We have had a lot of RV experience but didn't have to draw on that either time. I wish I could have said that about a Sticky small trailer made by Forest River we bought and sold in 6 months, but it did look good behind my hot rod.
Just go, there is always someone that can answer questions that are not in the books.
We just enjoyed our trips down the coast regardless of the weather and knew we were secure in our Escapes.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Don't get so absorbed in checking things that are not that important. This time is for showing you the operation of the trailer.

Spend a few minutes enjoying your new trailer. Then take a few deep breaths regroup and get past the aesthetics and the excitement of waiting a year and settle in to make sure you understand the basics.

The basics are what more than likely will give you trouble and save you some headaches. Especially if you have not owned a RV before.

To name a few things to go over should be

How to operate the fridge and understand all modes of operation
Fridge fan operation if you have that option
How to make sure your roof vents are closed before travel
How to hook up to fresh water and why you need a pressure regulator
How to drain and fill all of your tanks
Awning operation
Chalking the wheels
Re torquing the wheels
12 volt pump operation
Solar operation
Inverter operation
Converter/battery charger operation
Hitch, safety chains, and break away
Water heater operation and how to make sure its full of water before you turn it on.
How to operate the 115 volt water heater if you have that option.
How to close the front storage box properly
A/C & furnace operation
Breakers, fuses and electrical hook ups
3 way winterizing valve if you have that option
Maxx fan operation
7 pin hook up to TV
Propane tanks and change over valve
Toilet operation
TV antenna operation
Monitor panel operation
Propane detector
Sewer hose storage
Any switches or controls
Stabilizer operation
Stove operation
Shower operation
How to level the trailer
Table operation
Bath vent operation
Kitchen Hood operation
Front window rock guard

This will be more than enough to fill up your time and give you a understanding of the operation of the trailer along with testing these items while going over them.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #67

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Thanks folks! I do have the slight advantage of being inside the trailers multiple times and have lots of photos to refer to ahead of time.

But, yeah, never worked the frig, furnace and all that. Or hitched/unhitched and leveled it. I think I know how to turn a faucet on.

So, yeah, will go over my list and figure out what all to leave on it and what all to delete. And then read it twelve million times before we get there and even then I won't have it memorized and I know I'll forget something.

Fortunately there's this forum for asking questions. As a side note: I was reading the latest issue of Trailer Life (which I know some of you find worthless, but I'm getting a lot out of it) and some of the questions asked I'm thinking "just join an owner's forum and ask there". You'd get your answer a whole heck of a lot faster!
Old 09-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #68

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Thanks Tom!

I'm pickup up my trailer on Nov 4th and your list will be a great starting point.

Paul
pcrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #69

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I think someone once said that he actually covered his list.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:04 PM   #70

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Ok, I'm a little off topic,but did I understand that we may have trouble going back into Canada? We had planned to travel there after pickup.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #71

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Thanks folks! I do have the slight advantage of being inside the trailers multiple times and have lots of photos to refer to ahead of time.

But, yeah, never worked the frig, furnace and all that. Or hitched/unhitched and leveled it. I think I know how to turn a faucet on.

So, yeah, will go over my list and figure out what all to leave on it and what all to delete. And then read it twelve million times before we get there and even then I won't have it memorized and I know I'll forget something.

Fortunately there's this forum for asking questions. As a side note: I was reading the latest issue of Trailer Life (which I know some of you find worthless, but I'm getting a lot out of it) and some of the questions asked I'm thinking "just join an owner's forum and ask there". You'd get your answer a whole heck of a lot faster!
Hey Laura we get trailer life for years and love it too . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #72

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Had my orientation yesterday, took around 1 hour at the shop, I turned on the propane, tested the stove and refrigerator operation off propane, had water filled in the tank and ran the pump to insure it shut off. The trailer was plugged in and I saw the Progressive system was operating. I had a 12v run under the bed, it is merely a dead end 12v wires under the bed, with a led light lying in in the drawer, you will have to attach it yourself upon delivery. It was not tested nor any other 12v outlets check. I can say now, 1100 miles away, everything works, all 120v outlets and all 12v outlets are up and running.
They merely wash the trailer, no wax is applies, not necessary. They hook it up, test the lights and level your trailer if your hitch is adjustable, 19.5" is the ball height on the 19, suggest you get an adjustable in order to raise or lower if needed.
They then disconnect the trailer, you leave and go to Sumas and they meet you there as Bob's Burgers on the main drag, they unhook and hook you up and give you the paper showing the export stamp and you are free. I had to go back and check out the hotel so I went back to Chilliwack. Total time was about 3 hours from start to finish, they do 2 a day I think.
If you need a hotel, Escape recommends Best Western, pet friendly and you receive a discount if you mention Escape. You can walk to Escape from the hotel.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:11 PM   #73

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Thanks Jim,

We will be in Chilliwack about the 2nd week of January. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:29 PM   #74

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You can pick my brain this weekend. WE expect to arrive in Eldridge on noon Saturday. We are in Buffalo, Wy tonite for our first night of camping in Prairie Schooner. We napped last night at a truck stop for 4 hours but needed to shower tonite and test everything. Everything checks out, the wheel lugs were still tight, the refrigerator was cold and all systems are up and running.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:46 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
(snip)They hook it up, test the lights and level your trailer if your hitch is adjustable, 19.5" is the ball height on the 19, suggest you get an adjustable in order to raise or lower if needed.
(snip) Total time was about 3 hours from start to finish, they do 2 a day I think.
We've already scheduled our orientation and was told they did 2 per day for Americans as they needed to get the trailers across the border before 4PM or else they'd have to pay a fine (or some such) of $75. Something about the commercial crossing shutting down, which I thought was rather strange. But, since I've never done a commercial crossing and they're far more expert at it than I ever will be, I'll go with what they say.

For us Americans the orientations are scheduled for 8 and 11AM. We're allowed 2 hours for the trailer orientation, which will also include anything they need to install. Then half hour each to finalize the paperwork and hitch the trailer to the vehicle.

I snagged the 11AM one so we can drive up that morning.

Good info on the adjustable hitch - was not aware of that!
Old 03-25-2017, 02:21 PM   #76

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Would you mind sharing your pick up day list?
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysd View Post
My pickup day list is still a work-in-progress. but I will when it's done. Seems that the work people pay me for keeps taking away from getting ready to becoming a first-time trailer owner!

And I guess I should ask, what do consider a pick up day list?

Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd hang onto my list until you've gone through the orientation so you don't derail what is a practiced presentation. If you have questions after, refer to your list then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
My orientation was very brief and doubt there is any regimented checklist. It more depends on the experience level of the customer as well as that of the employee tasked with that job on a particular date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I agree that the orientation depends on the experience level of the customer and can testify to that with my own orientation. However, I respectfully disagree about a regimented checklist. While they may not have a physical list in hand, I have no doubt that every detail and order of presentation has been vetted and directed by Tammy and Reace beforehand--at least I would run the business this way. Especially with so very many features that are now standard, I believe that any employee who gives the orientation has been thoroughly trained in the process. Just my opinion...been wrong before and will be again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think, if you are looking at your list, or playing with your camera, you are not likely listening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
That's why I asked the question about the list. We are not novices to trailers, just to Escapes. I would not think to check out the awning position,let alone document. We will be going to the rally after pick up, so we figured by then we would have gone through most areas of trailer. However, We are open to any
suggestions,experiences or ideas for things to be aware of. It's a long trek back to Texas and surprises aren't always fun. I have read almost everything posted and you all have done a good job helping us build ours. I'm still trying to get ready. Only about 6 weeks to Chilliwack! �� Thank you all for info you've shared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you are not novices to trailers and camping you will not have any problems with your Escape. They use the same furnace and water heaters as well as a/c and other items found in most trailers. Just listen during your orientation and once you get to Osoyoos there will be 150 other Escapes there to help you if you have further questions. Concentrating on making notes may prevent you from an important item during orientation.
I copied the orientation comments from Fred's E9500 awning question thread to this thread on orientation since there was much good info here already, and it's a likely place for those of us looking for orientation info to go, rather than a discussion about awnings. Hope I didn't step out of line doing this!

I'll post more here later, but for now it's off to take our dogs to obedience school!.

Gary
garysd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:15 PM   #77

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
You Tube Orientation

Tammy sent this Escape orientation video to us the other day. Interesting, helpful.
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
For all you new owners-to-be, a few tips for your Orientation.
It's been a long time coming and now finally it's here. Awesome

You're going to arrive at ETI and there is going to be preliminary paperwork, mainly paying the balance off on your purchase and an opportunity to buy any additional items displayed. Then, Rhonda or someone else is going to take you back for your first look at your new trailer. It is similar to going to the doctor as in you can get the standard eval or you can go prepared and ask a lot of questions. It's up to you. Once your done inside the trailer you go back into the office for final paperwork, which is being handed the yellow file folder with all your paperwork. The trailer is probably now on its way to Bob's Burgers in Sumas, WA.

What I would advise after the first five minutes of OMG! is to methodically go through the whole trailer and inspect all finishes and upholstery and then operate all plumbing fixtures and appliances. Many of you are not going to even have a license plate until you return home so going back into Canada if you've discovered a problem the first night is not going to be a good thing.

I would look under the bottom of the trailer and on top as well. Also check to see that a sewer hose is inside its compartment-no fun to find that out at the dump station

When you do go back into the office for final paperwork inspect the documents and make sure that the import document is an original not a photocopy as that may cause problems back home with your DMV.

Read the manual. Repeat-read the manual within the first two days. For one thing you should do a brake adjustment after 200 miles. Secondly, you need to re-torque your wheel lugs after 500 miles-this is critical.

Then- hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Don't get so absorbed in checking things that are not that important. This time is for showing you the operation of the trailer.

Spend a few minutes enjoying your new trailer. Then take a few deep breaths regroup and get past the aesthetics and the excitement of waiting a year and settle in to make sure you understand the basics.

The basics are what more than likely will give you trouble and save you some headaches. Especially if you have not owned a RV before.

To name a few things to go over should be

How to operate the fridge and understand all modes of operation
Fridge fan operation if you have that option
How to make sure your roof vents are closed before travel
How to hook up to fresh water and why you need a pressure regulator
How to drain and fill all of your tanks
Awning operation
Chalking the wheels
Re torquing the wheels
12 volt pump operation
Solar operation
Inverter operation
Converter/battery charger operation
Hitch, safety chains, and break away
Water heater operation and how to make sure its full of water before you turn it on.
How to operate the 115 volt water heater if you have that option.
How to close the front storage box properly
A/C & furnace operation
Breakers, fuses and electrical hook ups
3 way winterizing valve if you have that option
Maxx fan operation
7 pin hook up to TV
Propane tanks and change over valve
Toilet operation
TV antenna operation
Monitor panel operation
Propane detector
Sewer hose storage
Any switches or controls
Stabilizer operation
Stove operation
Shower operation
How to level the trailer
Table operation
Bath vent operation
Kitchen Hood operation
Front window rock guard

This will be more than enough to fill up your time and give you a understanding of the operation of the trailer along with testing these items while going over them.
I'm able to get back to working on our list for orientation for a few minutes this afternoon!

We're creating our list, using the above quoted advice from Rossue and Kountrykamper, to make sure that the options we selected are installed, where they should be, and they are working, as well as the custom items on our build sheet are correct.

Since this is the first trailer we've owned, we intend to understand the basics of what's not clear to us in the manual or explained in the most recent video, both of which we downloaded from the ETI website. I also have a few other items to check that I've gleaned from the various threads on the forum that seem to have raised questions for others.

Gary
Old 03-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #79

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
When my wife and I picked up our new Escape 3 years ago, I was very impressed with their method of "triple checking" everything that went into the Escape and that everything worked. The orientation was thorough, but overwhelming for a "newbie" who had never had one before. Instead of just showing me how everything works (randomly), I would prefer the following orientation method. Take me through the orientation as if I just arrived at a campsite and then again as if I was getting ready to leave. You arrive and have the trailer on location: now, this is how we lock the wheels & level. Then show me what systems have to be "hooked up and turned on." This is how you turn on the fridge, the electric, the water (whether with hookups or boom docking) etc. Then you'll need heat or AC - this is how it's done. etc. At the second phase, this is how we get ready to leave. Doing the orientation this way, would stick in your mind in a very real, systematic way to what you would see when you travel. (Just my two cents!)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:24 PM   #80

Quote:
Instead of just showing me how everything works (randomly), I would prefer the following orientation method. Take me through the orientation as if I just arrived at a campsite and then again as if I was getting ready to leave.
Kevin, that's a great idea! I'll ask them the day before our orientation (April 5! ) if they can accommodate that approach!

Gary