2018 Mississippi River Rendezvous September 28-30 - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #61

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Aw Leon, say it ain’t so. What kind of flotation tires do you have on your bike that it will go
Upriver? I’ve had this dream since I was a kid. Fish all the remote spots. Trap coon before it gets too icy. Slide into otherwise inviolate timbers along the creeks for a little mushroom or turkey hunting, I gots to know.
Iowa Dave
Given the number of bikes Leon owns, he may well have an amphibious one!

Heck, I can't even get him off his bike long enough to go on a short camping trip in April into your neck of the woods Dave.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:06 AM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Aw Leon, say it ain’t so. What kind of flotation tires do you have on your bike that it will go
Upriver? I’ve had this dream since I was a kid. Fish all the remote spots. Trap coon before it gets too icy. Slide into otherwise inviolate timbers along the creeks for a little mushroom or turkey hunting, I gots to know.
Iowa Dave
I am actually riding my clown bike — the folding Brompton with 16” wheels. Packing light, and, if need be, able to hop trains or busses. Easily able to take it on the boat after the ride and use it to explore ports of call on the way to Barcelona.

Eric you are right, April is a big biking month for me because of 30 days of biking. Lots of rides, including some to bakeries and breweries. Lots of social events. I lead a ‘pedal for pastries’ ride a week from Saturday.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:16 PM   #63

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tash View Post
Since you and Lindy won't be there, maybe I shouldn't make cookies this year! We will miss you--have a super trip!!!
I’ve heard that your neighbors in site 100 can be hard to get along with. Cookies might help soften them up some. Just sayin’.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:08 PM   #64

Trailer: 2023 21
Sites are going fast. I got site 126 this morning, that left three remaining in that loop.
Traverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:23 PM   #65

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Attendees

Man you folks are on the gas. Hey Jimrules are you up for being the torque chancellor of tightness checker again this year? There were some rumbles about my honesty so I recruited an Eagle Scout to handle loosening the nuts while I drink er make that watch the auditor comptroller record the scores as Chuck Berry plays “Too much monkey business” in the background. The pay isn’t much but oh the status.
Iowa Dave.
Attached Thumbnails
B9D5C3DC-D51D-48D4-83FA-65B65F94EDB3.jpg  
Old 03-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
It is interesting that the loop to the north of our main loop is completely full. I wonder if there is another event going on there that weekend?

Jimrules was da' man last year, I sure vote for his professionally trained arm on those wrenches again! So Dave, as long as you plan to be supervising my recording of the scores, bring your reading glasses this time. And don't forget that fancy battery powered driver you badly needed for that important trailer job.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-28-2018, 01:34 PM   #67

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Point of Order.
The instructions for my torque wrench say that you have to loosen the nut in order to correctly torque it. So, if the nut is tightened by the competitor, do you not have to loosen it in order to determine the torque?
Old 03-28-2018, 01:37 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Point of Order.
The instructions for my torque wrench say that you have to loosen the nut in order to correctly torque it. So, if the nut is tightened by the competitor, do you not have to loosen it in order to determine the torque?
Well I think you will just need to show up there this year to inspect our procedures in person .

Old 03-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #69

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
After considerable discussion and map reading, Earline and I snagged 116. We tried to get a ringside seat to the torque competition, but guessed wrong. Wonder who got 115?

I also decided not to try to defend my wrenching title, since in my mind there is considerable luck involved. I’ll be assisting with loosening, if needed.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #70

Personnel and procedures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
After considerable discussion and map reading, Earline and I snagged 116. We tried to get a ringside seat to the torque competition, but guessed wrong. Wonder who got 115?

I also decided not to try to defend my wrenching title, since in my mind there is considerable luck involved. I’ll be assisting with loosening, if needed.
Yup Glenn we loosen the nuts to finger tight for the start of each competitor. We torque using the Texas Two Step method. Everybody tries to set the nut to 65 ft. lbs and points are given for proximity to the goal. Then we start ove an go to 95 ft. lbs. we use preset calibrated Torque wrenches now to speed the process. Rome wasn’t built in a day, they had to come back to paint it. Mr Bill Sonnenburg was our winner last year. His prize was a torque wrench.
He graciously donated it to a new Escape owner and we discussed the Care And feeding with him. Since somebody questioned my honesty as a nut....... loosener, Eagle Scout Bill has Graciously volunteered to loosen the nuts. We have used a breaker bar and socket in the past but it is true, I have an 18 volt Milwaukee impact Wrench in pristine condition which I will be happy to loan to Bill as his guns have never had the 12 ounce curl Regimen that mine were subjected to. Not to say he hasn’t tipped a couple but he told me when a car full of people are about to go in the ditch in Tennessee they’re all screaming “Were all gonna die!” In Iowa the driver says “Hold my beer and watch this”. Not serious here, I know drunk driving is no laughing matter. That’s why my darling bride of nearly 48 takes the keys and the wheel when the glow is on. Eric I think your right, big doins. Maybe one of them got 115 In the wrong loop.

Iowa Dave
Old 03-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #71

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Man you folks are on the gas. Hey Jimrules are you up for being the torque chancellor of tightness checker again this year? There were some rumbles about my honesty so I recruited an Eagle Scout to handle loosening the nuts while I drink er make that watch the auditor comptroller record the scores as Chuck Berry plays “Too much monkey business” in the background. The pay isn’t much but oh the status.
Iowa Dave.
Hi: Iowa Dave... No cents getting your nuts too tight watching the adjuster record the scores. If I was there I'd help you wrench down a few malts. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:51 PM   #72

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
I’ve heard that your neighbors in site 100 can be hard to get along with. Cookies might help soften them up some. Just sayin’.
Hmmm...I will have to see what I can do then--must always keep the neighbors happy! There will probably be a beverage or three to go along with the cookies, too! Hopefully your neighbors in site 99 are easy to get along with!
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #73

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm really chomping at the bit to attend this year, but with Franklin's age and the 14 hour drive, I'm giving it hard thoughts. He has good days and bad days. Right now we are in for Niagara, but is is only 7 hours vs the 14 to you guys, not that I have any issue, it's him, and he is 14 years old next month.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:08 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Iowa Dave... No cents getting your nuts too tight watching the adjuster record the scores. If I was there I'd help you wrench down a few malts. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Alf, Dave always needs supervision so you really should attend and help out with that.

I hope Paul, our fearless leader, has gotten himself outta his lounge chair in Florida long enough to get one of those last remaining sites. Those drinks with the little umbrellas may have lulled him back to sleep.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:28 PM   #75

Beach Chairs

As well produced as those ads for that certain Mexican product, and we know Paul has been seen with it, I’m not sure he’ll be in the loop to be in the loop. Does that make sense or am I loopy? Hope he’s got his ears on as those old CB radio people used to say. Killdeer look funny hopping over the snow piles to get to the next bare spot. Saw an Eastern Meadowlark
today too. I wish I could sing like they can. I’d learn Heartaches with Elmo Tanner.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-28-2018, 09:14 PM   #76

Trailer: 2023 21
We decided to switch to site 101, but I can't cancel my original reservation until April 16. Site 126 will be available then.
Traverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:40 PM   #77

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
Hey Jimrules are you up for being the torque chancellor of tightness checker again this year?
Of course I would. I'd consider it an honor. Plus I'm looking for excuses to get tools in my hands these days. Since I took a job doing CAD last year I've done a lot of clicking with a mouse and not much clicking with a torque wrench. But don't worry my skills haven't degraded completely. I even managed to install a few sets of Umbra hooks in the camper last weekend.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:54 PM   #78

Acrivities

Every good rally needs some activities, no matter how loosely organized. We’re pleased to announce that an all star team has been assembled to put on the Third Annual Torque Your Nuts contest. Details to follow but suffice it to say, open to all , can only be won by one. There ain’t no ties in life and none on the Mississippi River either. I’ve been to a few rallies now and almost without exception, lookers become owners, my “last camper “ becomes the one I had last year and yeah that’s my new one over there. And finally “it’s good to see you again,
Got any firewood or firewater? “
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:35 PM   #79

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Whew, just got the last site in the loop, 107. I forgot Sunday or Monday to book as we were enjoying the beach at Destin FL and Beth's birthday. Tuesday to today were in AL at a park with no internet. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:31 PM   #80

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Can't wait. This will be our first year at this rally. That upper loop is also almost full. Wonder what's going on. Looking forward to meeting everyone.