Curved Levelers - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2019, 11:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH"
Curved Levelers

First, this is not a "My levelers are better than your levelers". I have both the Camco and the Andersen. This is just my observation. The Andersens appear to be made of a more dense durable plastic. The Camco slip less and need no modification to work with an Escape trailer. Today on Amazon the Camco pair are $47.10 USD and the Andersens are $82.97 USD. Both raise the trailer up to 4 inches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg levelers 2.jpg (392.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg levelers 1.jpg (398.3 KB, 33 views)

Old 08-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picking up Sep 30th!
Would you recommend one over the other? Does the fact that the Camco are shorter in any way detract from their effectiveness or ease of use?

Old 08-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
Would you recommend one over the other? Does the fact that the Camco are shorter in any way detract from their effectiveness or ease of use?
They both have their advantages. As you can see in the picture the concrete has a rough surface. When I applied force to the Camco it would not move. When I applied force to the Andersen it slid almost without resistance. The Andersen appears to be more durable but the Camco seems durable enough for my needs. In order to use the Andersen with my trailer I would have to cut 1-2 inches off the end. I did use the Andersen last week to level a friends Class C and it worked fine. I spent my money on the Camco and someone gave me the Andersens. I have already offered to give someone else the Andersens.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Overall I have been very pleased with the Andersens, but the fact that they can slip out when backing or pulling onto them is my one complaint. Especially on a wet surface.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Actually the picture is distorting the length of the Andersen because you are seeing two of them together. Remember they have to fit inside the space between the tires on the unit. That is the limiting factor. Also do not forge the homemade 2x6 boards some owners make and use.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually the picture is distorting the length of the Andersen because you are seeing two of them together. Remember they have to fit inside the space between the tires on the unit. That is the limiting factor. Also do not forge the homemade 2x6 boards some owners make and use.
Jim I'm just offering my humble observations and experience with the Andersen and the Camco. You do need to shorten the Andersens to work with an Escape. I would have no problem using 2X6 or whatever as long as it does the job.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I have the Andersons because they came with the 21 trailer when we bought it used. They are both cut back to about 1/2 inch ahead of the first “hole” at a 45 degree angle. I used them twice on our recent trip to Teddy Roosevelt NP. and they worked great. I’ve never had them slip. We used an oil feed bandsaw to cut them off, worked slick. They fit between the Goodyear Endurance tires on the 21 but it’s fairly close. On the 19 I carried two 2X8s about 46 inches long and one 1X8 also. All were cut with approach angles and worked well but were cumbersome to haul and store. Always figured I could burn them for heat if I got desperate.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually the picture is distorting the length of the Andersen because you are seeing two of them together.

The picture is of just one Anderson leveler, but with the chock-ish wedge that comes with it underneath, as you’d use the two together in practice.

The depicted sizes look accurate to me.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Our experience

We got the Camco levellers when the trailer was new and used them for our first long trip. They slipped frequently and I had to reset and try again.
Then I read the good reviews on the Andersens on this forum and ordered a pair from the factory. I find they are superior in that they have not slipped on the three long trips we've used them. The only negative is that you have to trim one of them to fit between the wheels if you have a tandem axle trailer.

Just my 2 cents worth.
padamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
The picture is of just one Anderson leveler, but with the chock-ish wedge that comes with it underneath, as you’d use the two together in practice.

The depicted sizes look accurate to me.
You are correct, I did not zoom in like I should have......