Sirius / XM -- how do you like it? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
While I generally don't have problems with reception in the south (with the usual exception of mountains blocking the line of sight to the satellites), here in Alaska it is pretty near useless. Today I'm in a campground that is basically a parking lot in an open field & I a'm getting a signal that switches between 1 & 2 bars - lots of drop outs.

I still find the service worth the $9.00 per month when traveling in the many areas of the southwest not covered by cell service.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #22

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We've had Sirius XM for 3 1/2 years in our tow car, but recently cancelled it. Reason #1 - only two stations were remotely interesting to us, one a news channel that is unfortunately about 50% commercials, and the other a channel with old-time radio shows. Reason #2 - every year at renewal time they try to double the rate and charge you automatically, so you have to call them to avoid the price hike. As others wrote here, if you call they suddenly come up with a major discount to keep you subscribing. We don't like dealing with a company with such a shady pricing policy.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:46 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Our new vehicles came with Sirius XM, but we have since let it expire. I prefer local stations and where there is nothing locally, I listen to canned music. I also found that although there was numerous XM stations, I liked very few of them, and those I did like seemed to have a play list that was 10 songs long.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Same as having 200+ channels of cable TV; only about 1% worth paying for. I've opted to load up my MP3 player and use it instead of continuing my XM subscription.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
We had the trial period in both our vehicles, but rarely used it. We do like NPR/CBC, and there was a show with old radio detective serials that I enjoyed. But it is easier to download some podcasts, check out some audio books, and just plug the iPhone in, which has all our music -- enough to listen for several days without repeating.

R Bryan, if you liked FM radio, you probably would have loved the clear channel AM stations that could be heard in the late 60s / early 70s. Even up in North Dakota I could get the Wolfman, some radio drama, and Hell Fire & Brimstone preachers, especially after midnight when other stations signed off. Stayed up many a late night listening to those stations on my big sister's transistor radio.

In other news Phil Austin, who played Nick Danger with the Fire Sign Theater, passed away a couple of weeks ago. Betty Jo Bialosky was seen at the funeral, but everyone called her Nancy.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Our year old Jeep came with Sirius XM and a one year subscription, and with no CD player, but it did have an input jack, Bluetooth, and an SD card slot. We used Sirius XM on a long trip last year and found it useful while driving across Nevada, but not worth the price for the rest of the year. I loaded an SD card with our favorite music, and it plays for hours without repeats, so that is our choice going forward.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
R Bryan, if you liked FM radio, you probably would have loved the clear channel AM stations that could be heard in the late 60s / early 70s. Even up in North Dakota I could get the Wolfman, some radio drama, and Hell Fire & Brimstone preachers, especially after midnight when other stations signed off. Stayed up many a late night listening to those stations on my big sister's transistor radio.

Yes Leon, I was a regular AM radio junkie growing up. Radio's heyday was the late 60s to 70s as far as I'm concerned. And I have fond memories of listening to Wolfman Jack on a white Panasonic doughnut radio. There are still some ok stations, but the move to big radio corporations and consolidation has pretty much ruined radio for me. Nothing but commercials and repetitive 30 song playlists.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Used to listen to WLS Chicago as a kid in Whitewood, Sask.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #29

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I like it. I'm a Howard Stern fan and a CBC fan and anything 'talk radio'. Sirius radio does push the commercial free radio slogan, and that is total BS. All in all, I'll keep it.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #30

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
I loose reception thru the hills.When I have tried to use it I,got no reception.Cellphone did,which amazed me.Recently in MB.I spoke with a rep.I fiquired that they had gps location of my unit,turns out they don't always.4 hrs talking with a rep.to get a tow truck.When contract comes do they can pack it where the sun don't shine

WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote