WEN 2350 inverter generator - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2023, 06:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
WEN 2350 inverter generator

I recently purchased a WEN 2350 to run the Dometic AC unit on my 21NE. Several features attracted me:

1) $429.99 price tag
2) 39lb dry weight
3) run-dry carb fuel switch setting
4) fully manual choke
5) float operated fuel gauge viewable from top
6) closable gas cap vent
7) although China built, it has an American manufacturer's engineering and support (even Hondas are China built nowadays)

After running a tank of gas through it and changing the oil, I made a grounded-neutral plug, plugged it into the trailer and confirmed it would start and run the AC without an aftermarket soft start. This past week I put it to the test in 95 degree temperatures at 3500ft elevation and it (and the Dometic AC) worked fine. I'm very pleased so far.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 09:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My utube video on using my Wen2350 might be of interest. Best to watch to the end, then - Note the subsequent comments. It's possible my location at 6600 ft elevation might be significant.
https://youtu.be/I9AmXfKwrjo
Attached Thumbnails
Wen1.jpg  
Old 08-19-2023, 05:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
My utube video on using my Wen2350 might be of interest. Best to watch to the end, then - Note the subsequent comments. It's possible my location at 6600 ft elevation might be significant.
https://youtu.be/I9AmXfKwrjo
I run the 3000-6000 ft jets in my Wen 2350 and have no problem with it running the my Penguin II air conditioner without an Easy Start. So I doubt it was the altitude. What I'm guessing is you had some additional load on the generator when you were having issues. As I recall you had successfully ran your Air Conditioner once with the WEN2350 without the Easy Start and then had issues another time.

As long as the refrigerator is set to Gas not Auto, an electric Water Heater element isn't drawing power, and your converter isn't trying to bulk charge the batteries there shouldn't be a problem running the air conditioner with or without an Easy Start regardless of altitude. I just make sure all those breaker are off if I need to run the air conditioner off the generator.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 05:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Thanks Myron.

I watched the YouTube and read the comments. I see that you couldn't get it to run your AC and you ended up buying a Honda. I'm sure your altitude is a significant factor. Less oxygen means less power.

I ran my AC at 3500ft on the original carburetor jet. I purchased the high altitude jet, and I'm thinking of putting it in to use all the time. One of the reasons I liked the Wen is that it has an adjustable choke, which should allow me to use the smaller jet at low altitude by giving it some choke to enrich the mixture. Regardless, high altitude for me in Western Oregon means going up to maybe 4500ft in the Cascades. So far, my Rocky Mt trips for the last 10 years has numbered 2 trips of less than 5 days, and heating has been more of a concern than air conditioning. I expect I'll be OK with this generator. At worst, I may have to install a soft start.

BTW, my AC draws 9.0 amps while running.

Sherman
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 06:05 PM   #5

With the Wen after the easy start instrall it ran great with just with the AC on. For 20 minutes, so I declared victory and shut it down. A few months later I decided to test run it all afternoon and that's when after 25+ minutes the Wen always did a dramatic pause -the ac shut down, and Wen went into a "sleep?" mode. No joy. After several frustrating days I gave up and got the Honda.

My conclusion: Wen went into overload mode because my11,000 btu AC, I subsequently learned, needs 3500 watts constant to keep it running, and Easy Start only handles the initial power surge. Wen was producing a constant 1900 watts. Only solution would be to pair two WEN's, to keep AC happy.
Old 08-20-2023, 06:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
My conclusion: Wen went into overload mode because my11,000 btu AC, I subsequently learned, needs 3500 watts constant to keep it running, and Easy Start only handles the initial power surge. Wen was producing a constant 1900 watts. Only solution would be to pair two WEN's, to keep AC happy.
I’m wondering what air conditioner you have. According to the on-board EMS, my Dometic Penguin, original to my 2015 5.0TA, draws 10-11 amps when running. Given that the formula for calculating watt (Amps x Volts = Watts), 11 amp X 120 volts = 1,320 watts. At startup, the fan draws 3 amps or, using the formula, 360 watts. How did you determine that your AC requires a constant 3,500 watts to run? At 120 volts, 3,500 watts would equate to 29+ amps, almost enough to trip the main breaker when on shore power. I do have the soft start on my A/C, and I agree that it doesn’t “reduce” the current needed to run, but my AC runs perfectly well on my 10 year old Honda EU2000i, even if I am running it on propane at 200 to 1,000 feet above sea level. Since I only use it if I have to evacuate Florida for an approaching tropical storm, or for sleeping in the trailer if a storm results in an extended power outage, I haven’t and probably won’t test it at higher elevations.
Old 08-20-2023, 08:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I’m wondering what air conditioner you have. According to the on-board EMS, my Dometic Penguin, original to my 2015 5.0TA, draws 10-11 amps when running. Given that the formula for calculating watt (Amps x Volts = Watts), 11 amp X 120 volts = 1,320 watts. At startup, the fan draws 3 amps or, using the formula, 360 watts. How did you determine that your AC requires a constant 3,500 watts to run? At 120 volts, 3,500 watts would equate to 29+ amps, almost enough to trip the main breaker when on shore power. I do have the soft start on my A/C, and I agree that it doesn’t “reduce” the current needed to run, but my AC runs perfectly well on my 10 year old Honda EU2000i, even if I am running it on propane at 200 to 1,000 feet above sea level. Since I only use it if I have to evacuate Florida for an approaching tropical storm, or for sleeping in the trailer if a storm results in an extended power outage, I haven’t and probably won’t test it at higher elevations.
It does not take 3500W to run but Dometic likely recommends that size generator to cover themselves for startup and other things running. The 11,000 BTU Dometic Penguin will run on a Honda EU2000i. A soft start can only help especially at elevation. My bet is the WEN was not actually producing the stated 1900 running watts or there was some other issue. I believe Myron has a small Honda now and all is well.
Old 08-20-2023, 08:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
It does not take 3500W to run but Dometic likely recommends that size generator to cover themselves for startup and other things running. The 11,000 BTU Dometic Penguin will run on a Honda EU2000i. A soft start can only help especially at elevation. My bet is the WEN was not actually producing the stated 1900 running watts or there was some other issue. I believe Myron has a small Honda now and all is well.
Either something else in the trailer was using 120 volt power (water heater, refrigerator, converter bulk charging) or perhaps the generator was set to ECO mode. I have no problem running the 13,500 btu Penguin II with out an Easy Start in my 2020 Escape 19 with the WEN2350 with the 3000-6000 foot high altitude jets as long as none of those items above apply. I'm even able to run the air conditioner with the Champion 2500 Dual Fuel running on propane which is supposed to output even less than the WEN2350 when using propane.
Old 08-20-2023, 09:51 AM   #9

Here's where I got the 3500watts information. If something else was using the Wen during my trials, since I am certain all other systems were off, it beats the hell out of me. All I know is the ac worked flawlessly on the Honda, all day long.
Attached Thumbnails
frigSpec01.jpg  
Old 08-20-2023, 11:07 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 E19
Quote:
Here's where I got the 3500watts information. If something else was using the Wen during my trials, since I am certain all other systems were off, it beats the hell out of me. All I know is the ac worked flawlessly on the Honda, all day long.

You should also consider the possibility that something may be wrong with your WEN2350. If you had multiple WEN2350's sitting there and all of them were exhibiting the same failure symptoms then I'd consider it a high probability that the design in general wasn't up to the task, but a single generator failure data point is hard to justify that conclusion.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 11:48 AM   #11

Trailer: 2022 E19
Yep............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberman View Post
You should also consider the possibility that something may be wrong with your WEN2350. If you had multiple WEN2350's sitting there and all of them were exhibiting the same failure symptoms then I'd consider it a high probability that the design in general wasn't up to the task, but a single generator failure data point is hard to justify that conclusion.
This +1

WEN seems to be kinda hit or miss.
Numerous reviews of the WEN 2350 not putting out the rated power, especially after a "surge" period, though many other reviews are fine..............YMMV

Honda ($$$) and Champion ($) reviews/usage appear to be more consistent.

FWIW - Both my 10+ year old Honda eu2000i, on a Hutch Mtn. propane conversion, and my new dual fuel Champion 2500 on propane run my Dometic P2 11k (no soft start) just fine, even when it is 100+F outside (alt. <1k so far)
7Gentex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 12:13 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
According to the local Honda dealer, Honda will be making a EFI EU2200i in the near future much like their EU3200i EFI. That's what I'm holding out for. Pricey? Yes. IMHO well worth the money.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 05:00 PM   #13

Since it’s now been a few years later -today decided to dust off and start my Wen 2350 - test it again with the Penguin 11,000 btu. I still like it. Following Jon’s advice I also made certain the battery disconnect switch was off. Ground plug is in the Wen. No appliances running.

Turn AC on, to low. After 2 minutes Wen falters but quickly recovers. No overload. Ditto after another 5-7 minutes. After 10 minutes happens again but AC also quickly recovers. After 22 minutes go by Wen now goes into overload. AC shuts down. This time I go outside, hit reset button on Wen and - everything fires back up. Then, 5 minutes later all down again. Hit reset to fire it up and then have to do it twice more, each after 4-5 minute intervals. It’s still a nice machine, but Wen faced with this evidence...well...
Old 08-21-2023, 09:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Since it’s now been a few years later -today decided to dust off and start my Wen 2350 - test it again with the Penguin 11,000 btu. I still like it. Following Jon’s advice I also made certain the battery disconnect switch was off. Ground plug is in the Wen. No appliances running.

Turn AC on, to low. After 2 minutes Wen falters but quickly recovers. No overload. Ditto after another 5-7 minutes. After 10 minutes happens again but AC also quickly recovers. After 22 minutes go by Wen now goes into overload. AC shuts down. This time I go outside, hit reset button on Wen and - everything fires back up. Then, 5 minutes later all down again. Hit reset to fire it up and then have to do it twice more, each after 4-5 minute intervals. It’s still a nice machine, but Wen faced with this evidence...well...
Myron: What is the serial number of your generator? The high-altitude jet replacement is done differently depending on the vintage of the unit.
Old 08-21-2023, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:

Do you have the ECO mode switch On or Off?
Old 08-21-2023, 10:32 AM   #16

Of course the ECO switch was off.
Attached Thumbnails
Wen01A.jpg  
Old 08-21-2023, 11:42 AM   #17

Quote:
That's really strange because with the ECO switch off the engine shouldn't rev up or down like you described. I wonder if the switch didn't disengage. You might try switching it on and off a couple times with no load and make sure it revs up when you switch it off.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Myron: I know you sit a bit higher in NM but I wonder if the 3000-6000' altitude kit might be worth a try. It's possible that you are running too lean (with the 6000'+ kit) and not producing maximum power.
https://wenproducts.com/products/562...for-wen-56235i
Old 08-21-2023, 04:01 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
You should be able to pull the spark plug and look at the electrode. That will tell you if you have a lean condition. White chalky appearance of the electrode is lean. Dark and sooty is rich. Electrode should have a mild brown gray appearance. Pull the plug right after failure.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote