Social Media - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-13-2016, 12:56 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not sure how to fix topic drift, but you have a better shot at finding information you want by using the Google Search at the bottom of the search box.
The same thing can be done outside of the forum, by adding "site:escapeforum.org" to the Google search.

I only use the regular (non-Google) forum search feature when I want to restrict results to posts by a specific member.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:58 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
H46Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The forum search function works just fine for me, as long as I'm using the right search terms. Not really interested in a FB page to supplement it. Just a personal preference, but for me FB is tiresome. Tons of spam and suggested pages that I haven't the slightest interest in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My point exactly. I can search for something on the forum and find it but within 3 posts I am reading about something completely unrelated - or I will see a topic pop up that looks interesting on the "new posts" side of the page so I click on it and by page 3 it has absolutely nothing to do with the OPs original topic. Unfortunately it dumps me to page 3 and instead of perhaps reading something on 6v batteries I am reading about what somebody uses to light their Weber grill. So I go back to look at what I clicked on and sure enough, the topic may be 6v batteries but ...... That's the beauty of FB, on FB I could care less if that happens, on the forum it is frustrating - but probably just for me so I'll live with it. Just wanted to put in my two cents to say FB may be the better place for those times we want to drift off topic. Not trying to be argumentive, just brought nging up another point of view.
__________________

__________________
Dave

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:06 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,732
Not sure what searching the forum has to do with starting a Facebook page.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:12 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not sure what searching the forum has to do with starting a Facebook page.
Apparently chatting about searching in the middle of a thread about a different topic would be okay in Facebook, because nothing in Facebook is of any value anyway.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:23 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
H46Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Apparently chatting about searching in the middle of a thread about a different topic would be okay in Facebook, because nothing in Facebook is of any value anyway.
Exactly! The forum has lasting value (if the content is relevent) and FB is fleeting! Couldn't have said it better myself! Thank you!
__________________
Dave

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:43 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
Exactly! The forum has lasting value (if the content is relevent) and FB is fleeting! Couldn't have said it better myself! Thank you!
Hmm... maybe I should have found something more clear than the winky smilie to convey that my comment was intended as sarcasm - it was mostly just a shot at Facebook.

I don't see how putting worthless stuff in Facebook would help this forum, unless you force people to use Facebook instead of this forum, and there's no reasonable way to do that.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:59 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,839
Just do like everyone else, if you have a questions, ask it. You'll get the answer shortly, no matter that someone asked the same question yesterday.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:43 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,934
If this forum was to disallow any social interaction, it definitely would die a slow death.

Over the years having met literally hundreds of the folks here in person, and becoming what I consider friends with some of them, it is great to put these personalities into context, and interact on this site as though we were in person.

This is a community, not a technical school, and as such it carries all the characteristics of a community, not much different than the ones we live within our lives outside the internet. Whether here, at the kitchen table, or around a campfire, we are there to help people, that is basic human nature for most people. BUT, we are also socially motivated too, and as such like to interact in a friendly manner. Just as at the tableside or fireside discussions often carry good learning content, they also drift off to other topics with humour injected as well.

I can see that maybe some of the lighter stuff would maybe migrate to Facebook, but it would (hopefully) never leave this site too. This is how I believe that a Facebook page would be somewhat beneficial, it would only increase the social aspect of discussions from folks owning Escape trailers. As is, there is already a lot of discussion amongst members via email and PM that are not part of this site, Facebook would be just another discussion venue.

I belong to one Facebook page, which is actually a closed one, that has about 100 members who all met through a Canon photography forum, of which I have met half in person. The thing with that page is that we have all become really good friends over the last 12 years, and discuss way more personal topics than most folks would be comfortable with on the web. All the other pages I belong to, though light and social, do lack the same close personal flavour. I say this, as an Escape page would fit this latter category, and I am not sure that there would be a heck of a lot more 'off topic' discussion taken there, than occurs here.

I do believe that there would not be anything taken away from this site with a Facebook page running in parallel with it. Heck, it might not even take off to much of a degree at all, but only time would tell.

As far as finding things searching here, I have had little trouble, either using a Google search, or the forum search. I too use the latter if I know which member was specifically involved in the discussion.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:49 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If this forum was to disallow any social interaction, it definitely would die a slow death.

Over the years having met literally hundreds of the folks here in person, and becoming what I consider friends with some of them, it is great to put these personalities into context, and interact on this site as though we were in person.

This is a community, not a technical school, and as such it carries all the characteristics of a community, not much different than the ones we live within our lives outside the internet. Whether here, at the kitchen table, or around a campfire, we are there to help people, that is basic human nature for most people. BUT, we are also socially motivated too, and as such like to interact in a friendly manner. Just as at the tableside or fireside discussions often carry good learning content, they also drift off to other topics with humour injected as well.

I can see that maybe some of the lighter stuff would maybe migrate to Facebook, but it would (hopefully) never leave this site too. This is how I believe that a Facebook page would be somewhat beneficial, it would only increase the social aspect of discussions from folks owning Escape trailers. As is, there is already a lot of discussion amongst members via email and PM that are not part of this site, Facebook would be just another discussion venue.

I belong to one Facebook page, which is actually a closed one, that has about 100 members who all met through a Canon photography forum, of which I have met half in person. The thing with that page is that we have all become really good friends over the last 12 years, and discuss way more personal topics than most folks would be comfortable with on the web. All the other pages I belong to, though light and social, do lack the same close personal flavour. I say this, as an Escape page would fit this latter category, and I am not sure that there would be a heck of a lot more 'off topic' discussion taken there, than occurs here.

I do believe that there would not be anything taken away from this site with a Facebook page running in parallel with it. Heck, it might not even take off to much of a degree at all, but only time would tell.

As far as finding things searching here, I have had little trouble, either using a Google search, or the forum search. I too use the latter if I know which member was specifically involved in the discussion.
Hi: Jim Bennett... Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'10 Frontier CC. S.E. 4X4 Lng. Bed V6 '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas Ont.( Not the Virgin Islands)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 3,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
...
This is a community, not a technical school, and as such it carries all the characteristics of a community, not much different than the ones we live within our lives outside the internet. ...
The difference of opinion seems to be that some folks perceive the Forum as only a place to get technical answers and some of us enjoy the humor, personalities, stories and a place to get to "know" folks from all over the US and Canada.

I absolutely admit to be a thread drifter, as it is how my conversations progress in person with friends. Life can be overly rushed and hectic. Many times thread drift only occurs when the original question has been answered or has already been answered on several other threads, or is just mostly opinions. My advice would be that if thread drift is stressing you out - put that electronic device away and go camping. After all, isn't that what this place is really about?
__________________

__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.