5.0 Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2017, 05:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 22G Arctic Fox
5.0 Questions

Thinking about buying a5.0 I have a question about the under coach insulation. Is there any type of cover that protects the insulation? To me that's important for our winter Alaska roads that are sanded. I'm 5'5" can I reach the ceiling lights and fans. We had that problem in our Arctic Fox so we sold it. Also are the seat cushions comfortable? In the Fox they were hard and uncomfortable. Want something small and comfortable. Respectfully, Arnold
Arnold Wagaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Arnold, welcome, sent you a PM. Next time you make a Costco run up to Los Anchorage we would be more than happy to show you our 5.0 TA which is the "classic" model. If you cannot access the PM give Escape a call and they will give you the contact information. The trailer still brings smiles to our faces every time we use it. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are FUN!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Wagaman View Post
Thinking about buying a5.0 I have a question about the under coach insulation. Is there any type of cover that protects the insulation? To me that's important for our winter Alaska roads that are sanded.
Arnold: The stock ETI underfloor insulation application of spray foam is not covered. If we add insulation to our trailer I have considered covering with something like this myself:
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Parkland-Pla...-Panel/3436816
Impervious to water, not affected by solvents/petroleum, light and fairly strong.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Hi Arnold! Welcome to the EscapeForum. As a 5.0TA classic owner who's 5'6" tall (and shrinking), I can reach the MaxxFan controls if I stand on the loft steps. All the lights I can reach. Now... comfortable cushions? That's subjective. I like the cushions in the dinette and have taken some great naps back there! But, I also like a firm mattress.

Scott and Lori have offered you a tour of theirs, you should really take them up on it so you can decide if the build will work for you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I would not call the seat cushions comfortable. I don't know what you would call them.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Now... comfortable cushions? That's subjective. I like the cushions in the dinette and have taken some great naps back there!
Subjective is the best comment. I, too, have great naps on the stock cushions. But could I sleep on them all night? No. I can sit or lounge on them for long periods of times while reading and I do appreciate that they are extra firm and are not going to break down anytime soon.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I would not call the seat cushions comfortable. I don't know what you would call them.
We are with you Cathy not comfortable at all But we are all different in our likes or dislikes . What we don't like others like . Need to check out a trailer and see if they will work for you right Cathy Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We are with you Cathy not comfortable at all But we are all different in our likes or dislikes . What we don't like others like . Need to check out a trailer and see if they will work for you right Cathy Pat
Yes, just clueing in the OP that many of us don't find them comfortable when that is what the OP wants. There are people such as yourself, I believe, who have made deeper cushions to try to remedy that. Also, can always add outdoor furniture cushions to them if someone doesn't like them.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Yes, just clueing in the OP that many of us don't find them comfortable when that is what the OP wants. There are people such as yourself, I believe, who have made deeper cushions to try to remedy that. Also, can always add outdoor furniture cushions to them if someone doesn't like them.
I know Cathy . Darn tooting ,raised floor 3 1/2 in floor under dinette, added extra 2in high quality foam to seat to make 6 in.thick , and added large pool noodles behind seat back to make that slant . Someday maybe have dinette cushions redone . Great idea about outdoor cushions . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I know Cathy . Darn tooting ,raised floor 3 1/2 in floor under dinette, added extra 2in high quality foam to seat to make 6 in.thick , and added large pool noodles behind seat back to make that slant . Someday maybe have dinette cushions redone . Great idea about outdoor cushions . Pat
Escape used to add foam to the cushions long ago, if ordered, but I believe that they stopped doing that. So people have to do it themselves if they want more. As you did.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 22G Arctic Fox
Thanks Scott, will call before coming.
Arnold Wagaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:39 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
At half my weight Deb is fine with the cushions, me not so much. Picked up some higher density foam last year and replaced mine, too hard! If I think of it I might try 2" of the softer one on top of 2" of the hard. Every butt is different.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:09 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
At half my weight Deb is fine with the cushions, me not so much. Picked up some higher density foam last year and replaced mine, too hard! If I think of it I might try 2" of the softer one on top of 2" of the hard. Every butt is different.
Hi: padlin... "No ifs, ands, or butts"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #14

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
You can get an option for the fan to have a remote. I didn't get one in the 21 as I can easily reach it. But I have 5" on ya. If I had the 5.0 I probably would have ordered the remote option.

Although that's only good for turning it on and off. You'll still need to open, close and latch it on your own, I believe.

Yeah, check one out to see if it works for ya.

Regarding the cushions. At first I was fine with ours, but over time my butt gets a bit fatigued if I'm sitting there reading for more than several hours. We have the u-shaped dinette and I have it set up with a filler board and cushion so I have more room to stretch out. The table was not installed.

I've been considering adding another layer of cushion to what's there already. I just haven't figured out what I want and what will work best. I do have enough upholstery fabric to get it done, so that's not a concern.

Good luck with your decision!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
If I had the 5.0 I probably would have ordered the remote option. Although that's only good for turning it on and off. You'll still need to open, close and latch it on your own, I believe.
The upgrade to the MaxxFan 7500K model with remote features electric open/close. If it didn't it certainly would limit the usefulness of the remote. It still has the manual knob so you can close it in the case of a malfunction or loss of 12V power.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #16

Yes, the remote closes it automatically and does everything. Very glad we have that and can use it while reading in bed.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:37 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Good idea!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:14 PM   #18

I just bought a couple of very comfortable cushions for outdoor furniture that could be used in the Escape. They are from Pier 1 and were $35 (they say $50 but apparently are perpetually on sale). There are much cheaper ones there but they are not any more comfortable than the ones in the trailer. It's the ones marked $40 or $50 that are much better. At least they seem so without using them yet.

I actually did get them for outdoor furniture but if they seem good, we can get some for the Escape or use those.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:34 AM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Last winter we had a couple extra throw blankets with us, just as a space saver we started sitting on them. Surprisingly they do a lot to firm up the seat, keeping me from sinking through to the plywood. Made a big difference in comfort.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The upgrade to the MaxxFan 7500K model with remote features electric open/close. If it didn't it certainly would limit the usefulness of the remote. It still has the manual knob so you can close it in the case of a malfunction or loss of 12V power.
Initially, we weren't going to get the fan with remote, but ended up with it because we wanted the "smoke" (transparent) cover instead of the white (translucent). Talk about unintended consequences: I use the remote to check the room temperature. I love it!