Hi all of you Escapees!
George and Jodi here from Minnesota. After searching the internet for small fiberglass campers we found Escape, contacted them, saw a '19' less than 10 miles from our home and were impressed, then crossed paths with a '5.0TA' in the Black Hills in September and chatted with the owners for a long time (Padlin, I believe that's you). In early November we placed our order for a 5.0TA with a completion date of April 21st.
We have been reading so many forum posts in the last 2 months or so that it seems like we already know many of you and you seem like a pretty friendly bunch so we thought we would ask for some input on a few things.
1. We like the look of the aluminum rims, but from past experience with them on cars, there seemed to be a problem with them holding air pressure. How have the aluminum rims worked out for you on your Escapes?
2. How long do the dual 6 batteries last? We typically dry camp and just use minimal lights in the evening, the fan, water pump and charge a few small electronic devices. Would we be good for 4-5 days?
3. Thinking about the inverter, does this significantly reduce the battery charge? I have a 700W hairdryer that would be on for about 3-4 min. Would we need solar to recharge? We will at least prewire for solar, but aren't really sure we would need to put it in.
4. Is the stereo that escape offers adequate? We would mostly use it to plug in an iPod and occasionally look for a weather forecast.
5. We want to put sliding shelves in the pantry similar to yours Bob. Did you take out the middle shelf or install above it? Should we have that shelf eliminated from the build? Do we need to reinforce the walls to mount the brackets?
That's all for now, but there may be more questions in the future, build sheet is due Feb 1. Thanks for your help and any other suggestions you may have to offer.