New....looking for advice - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #1

Trailer: still looking
New....looking for advice

Hi!
I am a new member, directed here by the FiberglassRV Forum. I plan on retiring in 4 years, and traveling full-time for 2 years around the US/Canada, with cats. I always plan and research ahead of any project, so I welcome any advice. I have tent camped for 25 years, but a trailer will be new for me. I have not towed before. I have a 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R, with towing capacity of 3000 lbs. The Escape 17 B, which looks perfect for me, has a dry weight of 2100. How much does the "stuff" of life add in weight - clothes, food, water,etc. I have no idea. I am afraid I will need a different tow vehicle.
Also how are the mattresses/cushions to sleep on. I have back problems so wondered if I would need to address that, perhaps with an overlay.
Thanks for all your suggestions, in advance.......Mc Kenna in Colorado

Mc Kenna Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I have the 17b and if I were traveling alone ( and for two years ), I would probably get a mattress for the front dinette and leave it as a bed.

We had a topper for the rear dinette / double bed, but then the Old Bag decided she wanted to set it up as a dinette each day. Had to find a place for the topper, as well as the bedding. Last trip out, it stayed set as a bed, and I have no idea where the topper went.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 17B 2017
I didn' read much of it, but there is a thread at that forum talking about the escape warranty does not apply to living in it full time you may want to read up on.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Hi: gocamp... It would seem to me that if the trailer is bought prior to the 4 yr. retirement date a two yr. warranty would be expired before being used for full timing!!!
I'm never conserned about a 2yr. warr. on a trailer that could still be in use 20 yrs.down the road.
Ace Brown spent at least 4 yrs. full timing in his 17'er. but I don't know about any cats. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
I'm never conserned about a 2yr. warr. on a trailer that could still be in use 20 yrs.down the road.
Exactly.

The only things that could really go wrong are mostly with one of the individual components, and they are usually covered by their own warranties anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping to leave one of the tables set up as a bed, full time. Just wasn't sure if the front would be wide enough so I didn't feel cramped.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #7

I will do that. Never thought of that angle. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
I use the large dinette as a permanent bed, for several reasons: I wanted the room for lounging, reading and watching TV. I wanted my sleeping in the back, though many prefer the opposite.
My bed can be converted back to a dinette, but I have to put in the base and pedestal (which it came with). Although Reace offered to "box" it in, I wanted the flexability and to be able to reach under to the passenger side rear where I added a bench door. I then put a memory foam mattress topper on top of the cushions, and make my bed as a bed with a washable fuzzy fleece cover for lounging.
You may wish to send a pm to Carol R, who reasearched the 17 B and towing it very thoroughly! (Although as yet because of her broken arm, she has not used hers yet.)
What ever you decide re: sleeping, the bathroom door can be hinged on either side to accomodate "midnight trips".
Another thing you may wish to do is read this forum as to what others have done (or not done) and how they like what they did (or didn't do).
Old 06-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc Kenna Lynn View Post
Hi!
I am a new member, directed here by the FiberglassRV Forum. I plan on retiring in 4 years, and traveling full-time for 2 years around the US/Canada, with cats. I always plan and research ahead of any project, so I welcome any advice. I have tent camped for 25 years, but a trailer will be new for me. I have not towed before. I have a 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R, with towing capacity of 3000 lbs. The Escape 17 B, which looks perfect for me, has a dry weight of 2100. How much does the "stuff" of life add in weight - clothes, food, water,etc. I have no idea. I am afraid I will need a different tow vehicle.
Also how are the mattresses/cushions to sleep on. I have back problems so wondered if I would need to address that, perhaps with an overlay.
Thanks for all your suggestions, in advance.......Mc Kenna in Colorado
McKenna:

You should check here for the loaded weight of an Escape 17B: Trailer Weights in the Real World - Fiberglass RV

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvansnell View Post
McKenna:

You should check here for the loaded weight of an Escape 17B: Trailer Weights in the Real World - Fiberglass RV
Thanks Brian. Very helpful. Looks like 300 to 500 lbs for personal gear, + trailer dry weight at 2100 will put me below the 3000 lb tow capacity for my Subaru Outback. Maybe I won't need a new vehicle.
Unless this doesn't leave enough for acceleration in the mountains. Others have said not to go over 80 % of tow capacity, which is 2400.