New Member & prospective buyer with a question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Cruiser RV
New Member & prospective buyer with a question

Greetings everyone,
I’ve been hoping to come across a trailer brand that would work in tow on my Chevy Colorado. I am thrilled to have learned about the Escape 5.0TA today!!!
The brochure doesn’t indicate wether the windows are thermo double glazed or not. Please help inform me about this important feature of the Escape 5.0 TA. Thanks!
P.s. if you know the R values for this model I’d love to learn about them as well.
Best regards, Boundless & Free RVer
Boundless & Free RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Depending on which type of windows you want, framed or frameless? Each has different exceptions, like the bath window. I'd suggest you contact the factory to see or hear which thermal windows they are now using in the 5.0 model particularly in the loft area.
Oh, and welcome to our little fiberglass world.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:55 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
The reason there is not a quick answer about the windows is that ETI has gone through various options for the windows. A few years ago there were single pane with a double pane option. These were slider type windows.

Then they offered frameless windows, which some thought were more sleek and attractive. They were possibly single or double pane also, but were crank out with the bottom moving out a few inches. Sliders were still available in the "older" style.

All the while, the 5.0TA had other options in the bedroom/loft area, since those were a different size.

Few of us know what is currently being offered, so that is why Jim recommended contacting the factory. Ask specifically about the loft, too, in case that is a different answer.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Cruiser RV
Thank you for the info, folks. I called the factory and was told that they are double pane windows on the 5.0 ta. That’s a plus for me. They also told me that they are marketing this as a three season trailer and that the r value in the trailer is 8. This surprised me as I thought it would be much higher. Bigfoot trailers also says their units are 8, confusing me more. In your opinion, can this be used as a four season trailer fairly comfortably as compared to some true three season rigs. My Fun Finder , as quoted from the manufacture, has r 24 roof, r 13 floor , and r 7 walls,but single pane windows. Any input is appreciated. Thanks again!
Boundless & Free RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:03 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless & Free RVer View Post
Thank you for the info, folks. I called the factory and was told that they are double pane windows on the 5.0 ta. That’s a plus for me. They also told me that they are marketing this as a three season trailer and that the r value in the trailer is 8. This surprised me as I thought it would be much higher. Bigfoot trailers also says their units are 8, confusing me more. In your opinion, can this be used as a four season trailer fairly comfortably as compared to some true three season rigs. My Fun Finder , as quoted from the manufacture, has r 24 roof, r 13 floor , and r 7 walls,but single pane windows. Any input is appreciated. Thanks again!
Three seasons is easily done in maybe 50% of the US, but up north you need insulated windows to keep heat loss to a minimum, so the Funfinder would lose it's heat quickly. In addition I believe the foam spray underneath the Escape will increase that 8 factor. Either way, there are several Escape owners that full time and with wheels on their unit they can travel to stay warm.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
There are good threads on the topic. You can use in cold weather with modifications to your routine and reasonable expectations. Your issues will inevitably be the water/waste systems and interior condensation. Even with bottom insulation and heat pads on gray tank you will freeze the exposed outlets if cold enough. You will go through quite a bit of propane running the furnace unless you have shore power and can run an electric heater. You don't mention how cold and for how long which is important to the conversation. Will you be plugged in to electric or are you relying only on solar? Even though the tank heaters are 12V they require that you are plugged in due to the amp draw. I'm a bit suspicious of an R-value of 8 since 1-1/2" of rigid polystyrene board is R-7.5. The walls and roof don't have anything close to that. Escapes are a great trailer, but if you are looking for something more inclined to sustained cold where you can run all systems in colder temperatures I would look at Bigfoot (heated underbelly) or Oliver (double hull with all tanks inside shell).
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...old-14352.html
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...ping-4549.html
Old 01-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless & Free RVer View Post
Greetings everyone,
I’ve been hoping to come across a trailer brand that would work in tow on my Chevy Colorado. I am thrilled to have learned about the Escape 5.0TA today!!!
The brochure doesn’t indicate wether the windows are thermo double glazed or not. Please help inform me about this important feature of the Escape 5.0 TA. Thanks!
P.s. if you know the R values for this model I’d love to learn about them as well.
Best regards, Boundless & Free RVer
Hi: Boundless & Free RVer... At the moment it's as cold here in Florida as it is back home in SW Ontario. I just got in from thawing the water line at the pressure reducer. Should have left the water dripping all night. Had all the cupboards open and only slight condensation, but my swell feet have gone down a lot!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
This business of a trailer being called a "3-or 4 season" trailer has always puzzled me. A four season trailer obviously means you can live in it no matter how hot or cold it gets out there, full time. Something about that just does not charm me.

Doesn't it imply being comfortable inside during the maximum extremes, like 20 below zero to 110°F ...for a very extended time? Who does that, where does that happen? North in Alaska? On the equator? And, if it happens, are there no functional remedies you can introduce, like using a generator (for instance if you are living incognito in the deep woods) or finding full hookup sites, or moving to a better climate, until the crisis passes?
Old 01-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #9

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
It would help if you would define your 4 Season use.

We've owned a Cougar, Lance, and Bigfoot, all claiming to be 4 Season. The Lance and Cougar we're definitely NOT 4 Season. They had too many cold spots.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote