Escape Preregistration Not Possible In Texas? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2015, 02:03 AM   #11
Senior Member
rbryan4's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 8,682
Makes sense to me. After all, I'm not the importer/exporter -- ETI is. But this may be strictly a Texas DMV requirement. Don't know if it's actually needed yet since Essex has previously asked for a "required" form that it turns out was not actually required.

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:25 AM   #12
Senior Member
azjack's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ, Arizona
Trailer: gone, 19 and 21, waiting for 17B
Posts: 495

Twice, while living in Utah I bought non-operable vehicles that I wanted titled before bringing them back into the state. Utah had a form to verify the VIN and any law enforcement officer could sign it off. I used a local Montana city police once and a local S. Dakota city cop the second time. Also in California I had a VIN verified by a local officer that happened to be a friend of mine. Do you suppose a Mounty could sign the form or a Chilliwack city officer? They may only look for a signature and a title.

azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:23 AM   #13
Site Team
cpaharley2008's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 15,136
Each state/bank has their own registration rules, some of which run contrary to being convenient. Several owners have picked up their trailer and towed them home without plates, some over a period of time. Here in Pennsylvania the vin number has to be inspected in person by an authority before plates, thus no plates before actual physical presence at the dmv.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:45 AM   #14
Senior Member
Cypherian's Avatar
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dover, Delaware
Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Posts: 582

Perhaps get with ETI I know since the last problem of registration in MD they went to a new form maybe that will suffice for your finance company. See Post 65 July 4th is my date!!!!

Veritas Lux Mea
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #15
Senior Member
Vicki A.'s Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
Posts: 405
I did not use a lender, so I know not of thier requirements.
Before registering tho, I went to the tax office and they gave me a list of forms I needed to have with me. Honestly I am in Guadalupe Co, which seems to be more friendly then Bexar, but it could not have gone more smoothly!
You know that every year the "rules" change, but I would ask the tax office first.
Good luck on the process! Great to have another local Escape!

Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:14 AM   #16
Senior Member
sjnuss's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Posts: 303
Unfortunately (at least for those of us in Bexar County, TX) we do need to have the VIN doc signed by SAPD before tags can be issued. It is somewhat of a PIA because the office is located in downtown San Antonio with almost no parking or much signage to indicate the office. But it is an easy enough process and only takes a few minutes. You can get a 30 day temp tag for your journey home.

Steve and Cynthia
San Antonio, TX
Escape 21 "Just Rolling Along"
Chevy Silverado 1500, 5.3L, 4x4
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:31 AM   #17
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Signal Mountain (Chattanooga), Tennessee
Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Posts: 372
My Tennessee experience was uneventful at the local DMV/tax office when I took the complete packet that Tammy sent a month ahead of pickup, but my tip is to take a printed Canada/U.S. conversion showing the smaller actual sales price in U.S. currency. The DMV felt compelled to try to charge the 7% sales tax on the considerably higher Canadian sales price, but I talked them out of it after an hour with the help of the official looking Royal Bank of Canada page.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #18
Senior Member
Vermilye's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Posts: 2,663
My suggestion, based on the experiences I had trying to register my trailer in NY when I was picking it up in Chilliwack & then spending 3 months on the road before returning to NY is to try a couple of different registration offices for the form, explaining your problem.

In my case, even different individuals behind the counter in the same office had completely different ideas on how to get the plate for my trailer, ranging from "it can't be done" to "do it through the mail once the trailer is in the US" to the final solution where they handed me the plate (of course after taking my registration fee & the sales tax on the trailer). In my case they accepted the unsigned import form (that Tammy sent me) as proof that it was imported from Canada as a new trailer. I suspect the person behind the counter didn't even know there was a stamp & signature placed on the form when the trailer went through customs, and just accepted the form.

I realize Texas uses different criteria, but I'm amazed how much flexibility there is in NY's DMV.
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:53 AM   #19
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Posts: 999
In Kansas, any vehicle brought in from out of state has to be physically inspected for the VIN to match the paperwork. And then they relieve you of a nice crisp 20 for this "service". Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #20
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,848
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
A month on temp tags? Don't really like the idea.
Although I'm not a fan of temporary licensing either, it seems to be very accepted down there. Many years ago I rented a vehicle in Houston and drove it for a week of vacation. It was so new it had only a paper temporary tag in the rear window, and even that was hard to see due to the tint. I thought this seemed like a bad idea likely to cause problems - especially since we spent most of the time in another state (Louisiana) - but no one cared and we saw lots of other vehicles with similar temporary tags. Of course, we weren't doing anything to attract law enforcement attention, so we didn't really find out if there would have been an issue. I don't know if the situation has changed in the decade or two since then.

Some jurisdictions (such as Alberta) don't bother renewing trailer licenses. Others don't require licensing at all for small trailers. Does anyone really care about a trailer with a temporary tag?

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.