Veterans Day Sale - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2021, 08:33 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Veterans Day Sale

Mattress Insider is offering a 10% discount tomorrow on orders of Hypermesh mattress moisture control......check it out https://www.mattressinsider.com/checkout.html
Old 11-10-2021, 10:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Does anyone know or remember how many linear feet you need to take care of a 21C bed, bottom and sides? I could figure it out but I’m sure someone has done this before.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:18 AM   #3
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
The 21C bed measures 54in x 80in. We ordered enough Hypervent for a queen size bed (I think the amount needed for various sizes are listed on their website). We then used the small amount of left-over Hypervent material behind our dinette cushions. For sheets, I use Full XL size but other here say they use Queen size sheets. FYI -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 02:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
Darn, no discount on an Escape...
Old 11-10-2021, 08:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
The 21C bed measures 54in x 80in. We ordered enough Hypervent for a queen size bed (I think the amount needed for various sizes are listed on their website). We then used the small amount of left-over Hypervent material behind our dinette cushions. For sheets, I use Full XL size but other here say they use Queen size sheets. FYI -Bea
I just ordered the Hypervent using the coupon Jim told us about. Got enough to go under plus up the sides of the mattress, 10 linear feet.

For 21C bedding we'll recycle the Beddys brand zipped bedding that we had on the Full bed in the 17A. It was a little big and baggy on that bed and it'll be perfect on this one. Beddys website says it's the right size for the Full XL. It might not look too good on the cutout corner but oh well. I might get a nice Pendleton blanket some day. We stopped at the actual factory in Pendleton, OR last summer and I simply couldn't make a choice. They had some great discounts on almost-perfect factory rejects.

We're getting excited. We sold the 17A in a great transaction, and now have a big empty space ready for a February arrival. We're lucky to be close enough to go get it ourselves.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:32 PM   #6
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
I just ordered the Hypervent using the coupon Jim told us about. Got enough to go under plus up the sides of the mattress, 10 linear feet.

For 21C bedding we'll recycle the Beddys brand zipped bedding that we had on the Full bed in the 17A. It was a little big and baggy on that bed and it'll be perfect on this one. Beddys website says it's the right size for the Full XL. It might not look too good on the cutout corner but oh well. I might get a nice Pendleton blanket some day. We stopped at the actual factory in Pendleton, OR last summer and I simply couldn't make a choice. They had some great discounts on almost-perfect factory rejects.

We're getting excited. We sold the 17A in a great transaction, and now have a big empty space ready for a February arrival. We're lucky to be close enough to go get it ourselves.
Glad you were able to get it on sale. Great stuff. Now for the wait...so exciting, indeed!!! -Bea
Old 11-10-2021, 10:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Maybe somebody can explain to me how buying stuff on sale honours those who served our countries in previous conflicts.
Did they die so we are free to buy stuff?
Old 11-10-2021, 10:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
... Did they die so we are free to buy stuff?
Among thousands of other privileges we too often take for granted, yes.

Thank You, veterans.

(no, I'll not presume a motive other than crass profit on the part of marketing or advertising types, but if their activities incidentally bring veterans to the mind of even a few sale-driven consumers, I'd suggest that's a positive outcome)
Old 11-11-2021, 11:54 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Maybe somebody can explain to me how buying stuff on sale honours those who served our countries in previous conflicts.
I doubt the sales are for such a purpose. But as a veteran allow me to say I'm not offended by them. To each his own.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Among thousands of other privileges we too often take for granted, yes.

Thank You, veterans.

(no, I'll not presume a motive other than crass profit on the part of marketing or advertising types, but if their activities incidentally bring veterans to the mind of even a few sale-driven consumers, I'd suggest that's a positive outcome)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I doubt the sales are for such a purpose. But as a veteran allow me to say I'm not offended by them. To each his own.
I don't see the sales etc that are directed at the general public. The ones I see are those offers and discounts offered directed at veterans and current military personnel (not the general public).

Many restaurants offer free meals on Veterans Day to veterans and active duty. I started accepting these meals 15 or so years ago. I can imagine that some marketing is involved, but I do appreciate this "thank you" when directed to veterans vs the general public as genuine.

I am not much for watching television, but I do not see offers directly to veterans and military being advertised, therefore I believe this to be "goodwill" and not a marketing ploy.

It definitely creates a "goodwill" statement to me. Today I visited Denny's for breakfast and will be at Olive Garden for dinner.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #11
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
A heartfelt THANK YOU to you and to all the veterans here who have served and sacrificed so much on our behalf. Our true American & Canadian heroes!! -Bea
Old 11-11-2021, 01:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Today I visited Denny's for breakfast and will be at Olive Garden for dinner.
Hope you survive.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
The US has two main holidays to honor military service:
- Memorial Day, which falls on the last Monday in May, honors the men and women who died while serving in the military.
- Veterans Day, observed every November 11, recognizes all who have served in the Armed Forces.

I think the sales are meant to honor the veterans who served by providing a discount to them. But I would agree with comment relative to Memorial Day sales.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
The US has two main holidays to honor military service:
- Memorial Day, which falls on the last Monday in May, honors the men and women who died while serving in the military.
- Veterans Day, observed every November 11, recognizes all who have served in the Armed Forces.

I think the sales are meant to honor the veterans who served by providing a discount to them. But I would agree with comment relative to Memorial Day sales.
I'm a vet too and don't get offended by sales of any type on vets day.. I don't know how it honors us but why get offended?...take advantage or don't but don't get butt hurt over it.. Maybe some lighten up is in order....
Old 11-11-2021, 07:00 PM   #15

I'm sorry, but on this day, I think of a good friend who carried shrapnel to his grave.

In Canada, it is remembrance day.
Old 11-11-2021, 07:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
I'm sorry, but on this day, I think of a good friend who carried shrapnel to his grave.

all good.. Vets day is an American Holiday.. Not sure if your friend is Canadian or American.. My dad was a Highly Decorated Marine on Guadacanal and carried shrapnel until his death as well.. 2 of his 3 sons are vets too. We all observe the holiday but my dad would take any discount offered...and bored the person at the biz offering it on vets day..
Old 11-12-2021, 01:26 AM   #17

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:

Certainly nothing to be sorry about, IMO it's good that you remember your friend's service and sacrifice. I just hope that the 'sales thing' doesn't detract from that, IMO it shouldn't.

I was gratified to see the news anchor and reporters on BBC today wearing a poppy on their lapels in Remembrance of all veterans as is the custom in much of the UK, moreso than in the US though that symbol is also recognized here.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:52 AM   #18

Each November, Poppies bloom on the lapels and collars of millions of Canadians. The significance of the Poppy can be traced back to the Napoleonic Wars in the 19th century, over 110 years before being adopted in Canada. Records from that time indicate how thick Poppies grew over the graves of soldiers in the area of Flanders, France. Fields that had been barren before battle exploded with the blood-red flowers after the fighting ended. During the tremendous bombardments of the war, the chalk soils became rich in lime from rubble, allowing the “popaver rhoeas” to thrive. When the war ended, the lime was quickly absorbed and the Poppy began to disappear again.
The person who first introduced the Poppy to Canada and the Commonwealth was Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae of Guelph, Ontario, a Canadian Medical Officer during the First World War. John McCrae penned the Poem “In Flanders Fields” on a scrap of paper in May, 1915 on the day following the death of a fellow soldier. Little did he know then that those 13 lines would become enshrined in the hearts and minds of all who would wear them. McCrae’s poem was published in Punch Magazine in December of that same year.
The idea for the Remembrance Poppy was conceived by Madame Anna Guérin of France. She was inspired by John McCrae’s poem “In Flanders Fields.” Anna had originally founded a charity to help rebuild regions of France torn apart by the First World War, and created poppies made of fabric to raise funds.

Later, Anna presented her concept to France’s allies, including the precursor to The Royal Canadian Legion, The Great War Veterans Association. The idea was considered at a meeting in Port Arthur, Ontario (now Thunder Bay) and was adopted on July 6, 1921. Today, the Poppy is worn each year during the Remembrance period to honour Canada's Fallen. The Legion also encourages the wearing of a Poppy for the funeral of a Veteran and for any commemorative event honouring Fallen Veterans. It is not inappropriate to wear a Poppy during other times to commemorate Fallen Veterans and it is an individual choice to do so, as long as it’s worn appropriately.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:57 AM   #19

In Flanders Fields

By John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie,

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:19 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Very interesting read Glenn, thanks for the background and historical references....