A Little About Vent Caps - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2022, 03:50 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
A Little About Vent Caps

I lost the top of one of the vent caps on our 2019 E21C. Looks like the photo below without its 'mushroom' top.

I emailed ETI Parts and Service, and Gina sent me an Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Swallowrain-V...0&sr=8-49&th=1

Which is the whole cap, not just the top, for $16.20 plus 1.99 shipping from China (a month or two). So I went to eBay, and found someone selling the same item for $11.76 with free shipping from Rochester, NY, about 10 days.

Did not find any listing for just the top, which you twist to get on and off. So I bought the US cap. If I lose another top, will have to get another whole cap I guess. Actually, I was pleased to see I could just twist on another top, rather than digging the whole cap out from the goop that Escape applied, screwing a new one in, and applying my own goop.

Second photo is the one over the bathroom, still intact (yellow coloration is because trailer is under yellow canopy).

Not a huge deal, but always amusing to see how much time and bother such minor details can consume.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0251_sm.jpg   IMG_0252_sm.jpg  
Old 11-01-2022, 03:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Paint it with Fusion paint for plastics before you install it. It'll last longer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:49 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Paint it with Fusion paint for plastics before you install it. It'll last longer.
I think it was knocked off by a tree branch. Will Fusion prevent that?
Old 11-02-2022, 08:02 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
I think it was knocked off by a tree branch. Will Fusion prevent that?
No
Old 11-02-2022, 08:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I'm in the middle of replacing a vent base on my E19. What a job, sealant was on the top and the base was bedded to the roof top in sealant. I spent about an hour just removing the base. I expect the sealant clean-up will take another hour or so. What a mess, but it had no chance of leaking. I you can get by with just replacing the cap that is the easy way to go. The base is attached to the roof with tiny screws. They just hold the base in place until the sealant cures to secure the base, they provide no holding strength.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 08:44 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
I'm in the middle of replacing a vent base on my E19. What a job, sealant was on the top and the base was bedded to the roof top in sealant. I spent about an hour just removing the base. I expect the sealant clean-up will take another hour or so. What a mess, but it had no chance of leaking. I you can get by with just replacing the cap that is the easy way to go. The base is attached to the roof with tiny screws. They just hold the base in place until the sealant cures to secure the base, they provide no holding strength.
Eddie
Yes, as you can see from the photos, ETI's sealant work was remarkably sloppy. Maybe the worker figured it was up on the roof, so no one would see it.

Once I discovered that you could twist the caps off, I tried the cap from the bathroom vent on the one with the missing cap, and it seemed to hold. I'm tempted to add a little (don't tell anyone!) duct tape.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:12 AM   #7
Site Team

I think I might be inclined to change to metal. They're not that expensive and will certainly outlast plastic. You'd still need to check the caulking as part of regular maintenance.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Ventl...-p/22-0506.htm
Old 11-02-2022, 10:06 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think I might be inclined to change to metal. They're not that expensive and will certainly outlast plastic. You'd still need to check the caulking as part of regular maintenance.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Ventl...-p/22-0506.htm
Now you tell me! I didn't know they existed.

Oh well, I'll live with the plastic ones for now. I remember the vent caps on our Casita just plain disintegrated, but they were maybe 6 years old. Got new ones from Little House Customs (you'll know them, though Escape folks here won't).
Old 11-02-2022, 11:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
ventline sewer vent replacement parts. There are different types. I replaced mine sometimes ago.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 11:48 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Now you tell me! I didn't know they existed.
I check to see what Airstreamers are doing. They don't particularly care for plastic on their trailers.
Old 11-09-2022, 10:20 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape RV 2010
Only one vent cap

I was surprised that my escape only has one vent cap. My casita had two. They must combine the grey and black vent stacks.
vtskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 10:52 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtskiguy View Post
I was surprised that my escape only has one vent cap. My casita had two. They must combine the grey and black vent stacks.
My Escape has two.

Did I mention that I found the vents on eBay? It's listed as 'RV Parts Outlet Station Wagon Ventilation Cap Mushroom Head Shape Easy Install.' eBay stuff comes and goes, but the link is here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/403957079780
$12.

As I said, I'll just use the cap.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:55 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape RV 2010
Number of vent caps

Hmm interesting; anyone with a 21NE chime in? Or maybe a newer Escape. Did they go to just one Vent?
vtskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 12:16 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I have had to replace a couple caps. One I replaced with a drainage hose end cap, painted white. The other I was away from stores so cut off the bottom of a large vodka plastic bottle and in each case, screwed them to the top of the remaining vertical stack plastic piece. I drilled holes in the side of the base part for the venting. Both are lasting nicely. So I’m cheap, what of it?
Oh, and follow Donna’s advice with the paint. I have painted these and the replaced “escape” hatch cover over the bed in my 5.0 to limit the UV degradation.
john o is offline   Reply With Quote