Novice question re: dumping holding tanks. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Old 06-26-2014, 06:41 AM   #11
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I dump with partials but prefer to fill the black to 2/3 at least. I've not had any issues.

If I have enough fresh I block open the toilet and let it transfer to the black (on my stick built, keeping the valve open keeps the water running). I do not empty the fresh though as I like to keep enough in it for emergency use.

Many folks don't bother dumping partials if they are going out again the next weekend, I've not done this as my trips are farther apart.

If there's a line, we have a sewage treatment [plant about 20 minutes away right next to the highway, I can stop on the way home and dump for 1$. Never seen another rv there, just don't breathe.

You could also pick up a Macerator and do the job at home.

Happy Motoring
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:03 AM   #12
Hi: All... We use "The Geo method" to treat the grey/black tanks. After dumping add a solution of Calgon water softener, dishwasher detergent, and extra bleach if necessary. Seems to keep the scum buildup to a min. and keeps the tanks slippery and fresh. All basic laundry products.
Do a google search of the geo method for the recipe!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'10 Frontier CC. S.E. 4X4 Lng. Bed V6 '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas Ont.( Not the Virgin Islands)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #13
Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Hi All,

My sensors rarely seem correct either. They usually read 1/3 full when I am sure they are empty. I found this video online, and will try it next time:

Maybe it will help. Has anyone tried anything similar?

shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #14
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B, 2016 Tacoma Off Road
Because I never know if there is going to be water when I stop, I usually travel with 1/3 of a tank of fresh water. Also handy for flushing after a pit stop along the road when there are no facilities available. Never had a problem with it "sloshing" while driving.

I've added flush systems to both the black & gray tanks, and use them when dumping if a threaded water supply is available at the dump station & there isn't a line.

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma 2011 17B
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote