Our solar panel blew off!! - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2015, 10:50 PM   #81

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by 182king View Post
Here is my last post on the subject of solar panel blowing off: Unique problems - no warranty?

After one failure with tape and one failure with epoxy (both blew off). It was time to epoxy and bolt my panel to the trailer. Haven't had and issue since. Holes on right hand side of trailer are in cabinet above sink. The other holes on the left side of trailer are in the closet and the other is above the shower.
Wow ! You did a fantastic job fixing your panel . I am very sorry you had to solve this . For me getting a panel on my roof is really going off the table . I don't want to deal with what you have had to encounter . Again so sorry . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:56 PM   #82

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
. For me getting a panel on my roof is really going off the table.
Just an opinion, but I think that's overreacting. Its very rare to have an issue with the panel mounts.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:07 AM   #83

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Same opinion here. If ETI has installed 100+ of them, that's a failure rate of less than 2%. Of course, if you're one of the two, that's a big deal...like 100% failure.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:06 AM   #84

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Same opinion here. If ETI has installed 100+ of them, that's a failure rate of less than 2%. Of course, if you're one of the two, that's a big deal...like 100% failure.
Sorry for me that is one too many . There are too many if's with this installation . I worked in construction . I am 792 in trailer construction know there are over 1000. now . So really not that many installations that still can fail under the right conditions . Someone suggested in molds to have the blocking in roof then it really should be bolted also . I also liked the idea as suggested what is used for boat construction for handrails then no holes inside roof .The best solar in the awning . For some reason I hesitated to install solar in build but I did get the pre solar just in case . I hope this is the end of flying panels for everyone . I will not take any pleasure in anyone else having this problem . I just don't want to have this worry . I know Reace will definitely figure this out . As someone said stuff happens . I have 1 more call to get their take on how it is done because I am curious ,but I really think not for me . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:30 AM   #85
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
After cross crossing the continent and making it home safely I can breathe a sigh of relief. There are so many things that can go wrong, as these threads demonstrate. Sewer hose theft, solar panel issues, cooling issues, bad water, awning issues, bad weather, tire blowouts, accidents, hitting animals.....the list goes on. Maybe that is what makes life exciting, dodging the bullets it throws at you. After spending 35 years behind 4 walls and fighting rush hour traffic and city crime, these trailer issues seem small, but I'm not saying they are trivial but in the grand scheme of things are we not enjoying ourselves??
Old 06-08-2015, 07:09 AM   #86

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Jim is right, as much as we can take all the precautions possible, stuff will still happen.

In business, I was once told by a kitchen designer, that folks who worry about stuff going wrong, are more likely to have that happen. I know that there really is no merit to that statement, but man, it sure does seem to be true. I think it is more about the attitude, in that when stuff does happen to those that don't worry as much, they blow off the incident easier.

I am in no way trying to trivialize the issue of the panel blowing off, or the potential of a terrible resultant. This is something where all efforts to do best job possible should be taken, and I have all confidence that they will be.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #87

Trailer: Escape
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
From the pictures I have seen of the solar panel mounting failure, it appears that the bond between the aluminum square tubing and the "industrial epoxy" fails on one side and the other mount is stressed enough to pull the gel coat from the fiberglass, resulting in a dismounted solar panel.
Ok, well I raised the solar panels to inspect the "industrial grade epoxy" bond between the mounting square tubes and the gel coat. The epoxy was smeared on one mounting tube during the installation and is poorly bonded to the gel coat. You can actually see day light between the mounting tube and the gel coat. This is VERY poor craftsmanship and the installer was fully aware of the failure potential. How do I solve this problem ? No wonder one mounting tube fails and the other one is ripped off! Yet another example of poor craftsmanship at ETI !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0966.jpg (102.8 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0967.jpg (103.6 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0968.jpg (84.7 KB, 118 views)
Old 06-08-2015, 01:49 PM   #88
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Bob,
Did you raise your solar panel, mine is nowhere that high on my unit?
Old 06-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #89

Trailer: Escape
I raised the solar panel to inspect the epoxy mounting between the gel coat and square mounting tube. I have no idea on how to solve this potential failure due to poor installation. The installer has to know of this potential failure. So much for quality control !
I would not have noticed the air gap between the mounting tube and the gel coat if the panel was not raised !
Old 06-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #90

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
"...I have no idea on how to solve this potential failure due to poor installation."

Disturbing news that makes me glad my solar panels are portable. Think if it were me I would drill holes for bolts.