Propane Low Flow Quick Connect questions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane

Old 10-10-2016, 02:41 AM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
The camp chef is very easy to hook up. 1/4 RV QC male
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59903-P...+quick+connect
take it to ACE, Home Depot, Lowes and get a 3/8 female to 1/4 female reducer Go home put the reducer and the male QC together, you'll need yellow gas tape for this connection, screw it on the camp chef and done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Great if the Camp Chef you're using has a pipe-thread inlet. Most grills seem to have a flare inlet...
I believe that in this case we're talking about a Camp Chef Ranger II. In previous discussions, it was clear that when the regulator is removed from this stove the connector which exposed is a 3/8" flare, which is why John is planning to use a flare elbow. Just a pipe thread reducer won't fit on the grill.

Camp Chef Ranger II Review

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:04 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17' (sold) .... 2017-21' Escape forthcoming !!!
Quote:
I believe that in this case we're talking about a Camp Chef Ranger II. In previous discussions, it was clear that when the regulator is removed from this stove the connector which exposed is a 3/8" flare, which is why John is planning to use a flare elbow. Just a pipe thread reducer won't fit on the grill.

Camp Chef Ranger II Review
Hey Greg and Brian

thanks for the ongoing info and thread - much appreciated.

One of the reasons Im confused by the internet is that I know that NPT is different than flare, and in the actual product description

( of the 90 degree elbow I found on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BYLUEZ4 )

the manufacturer says it is flare to flare

but later the manufacturer says NPT.

so my question becomes - will this work for me - for the Ranger 2, then adaptors.

PART NUMBER:
166FSV-6-6

Brass 45 Flare Fittings | Parker NA

CONNECTION 1 STYLE:
Flare
CONNECTION 2 THREAD SIZE (INCH):
na
CONNECTION 2 TUBE O.D. (INCH):
3/8
CONNECTION 2 THREAD SIZE (MM):
na
CONNECTION 2 STYLE:
NPT Swivel Nut

Losangeles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Great if the Camp Chef you're using has a pipe-thread inlet. Most grills seem to have a flare inlet, and since no one seems to be able to find single adapter with right combination of ends, it takes two parts in addition to the 1/4" NPT x male QC (the bit shown on Amazon), rather than just one.
Single reducer, not two parts, got it at Home Depot.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Single reducer, not two parts, got it at Home Depot.
Just trying to understand what bit of brass we're really talking about here...
  1. Is this female on both sides?
    A reducer bushing would be female on the smaller (1/4") side, and male on the larger (3/8") side - that wouldn't fit the male fitting that I would expect on the stove.
    A reducing coupling would be female on both sides; my guess is that it is one of these.
  2. Is this flare (3/8") on one side and pipe thread (1/4" female) on the other?
    If so, it's not just a reducer or reducing coupling.
    If it is pipe thread on both sides it won't fit a flare on the stove properly, but perhaps could be jammed on. Does the stove have a pipe thread?
Old 10-11-2016, 12:04 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
If I recall this is it or something similar.
https://propanewarehouse.com/shop/fi...-pipe-coupler/

You can do a two step if wanted instead of above and go 3/8 female flare to 3/8 MNPT and then a 3/8 Fips to 1/4 Fips and add the QC at the depot.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Perfect
  • female on both sides
  • flare (3/8") on one side and pipe thread (1/4" female) on the other
... but between two industrial hose and fitting suppliers and one barbecue and grill specialty shop that was not available. I certainly didn't find it at Home Depot. Propane Warehouse does not ship to Canada.

One could also use a 3/8" female flare x 1/4" MIPS adapter and a quick-connect male with 1/4" NPT female (instead of the usual 1/4" NPT male) connector.

Quote:
You can do a two step if wanted instead of above and go 3/8 female flare to 3/8 MNPT and then a 3/8 Fips to 1/4 Fips and add the QC at the depot.
I certainly wouldn't use two parts rather than one if I could avoid it, but yes, I had to use the two which I showed in the post which I linked (which are not that combination, but that would work).
Old 10-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #17

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
so.... I'm a bit confused reading this whole thread. What if I want to add a Little "campfire in a bucket" to my existing outside propane quick connect?

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post
so.... I'm a bit confused reading this whole thread. What if I want to add a Little "campfire in a bucket" to my existing outside propane quick connect?

steve
I think it always comes down to the same rules, regardless of what you're connecting to the QC. It's low pressure already since it's regulated coming out of the tanks -- so, as long as 1) whatever you connect is designed to run at low pressure, 2) you can adapt it or it already has a suitable connection, and 3) you remove any pressure regulator on the device you connect, you're good to go. The campfire in a can is no different.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
Quote:

This fitting says "high pressure"...but it will work?
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyone View Post
Quote:
https://propanewarehouse.com/shop/fi...-pipe-coupler/...
This fitting says "high pressure"...but it will work?
Yes, it's fine. For pipes and fittings in general, there is a maximum working pressure, and any pressure lower than that is fine. In this case, the maximum pressure is thousands of times higher than needed - no problem.

What's important is that the fittings work together. In the case of this fitting the type of connection is 45-degree SAE flare on one side, and tapered pipe thread on the other side, and those are the types which work with the other parts involved (and the sizes are right, too).

To confuse things a bit, there are two styles of quick-connect couplings used with propane, informally called "high pressure" and "low pressure". You need to use parts which work together (so one consistent type of quick-connect coupling), and that's the only reason not to use the "high pressure" quick-connects.