Recommendations for 6V agm batteries? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2023, 02:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Recommendations for 6V agm batteries?

Looking to replace the Interstates. What AGMs have people had good luck with?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 04:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I purchased mine four years ago, at the time I used the number of cycles it could stand as a base criterion. I believe the better ones were about 3,000. After this time, I am not sure that cycle count was important other than a way to differentiate what some see as a measurement of quality. They were Crown brand. This brand is frequently used in industrial applications, electric floor sweepers and diesel locomotives were mentioned.

My recommendation would be to stick with name brands. Most of these batteries are made by a handful of companies and then marketed with various brands. Track down who makes the models you are considering. I would stick with domestic manufacturers.

As important is disposing the old batteries and local availability. Crown delivered from their Chicago warehouse to my door. Unheard of. Installation was easy, photograph before you start will help. I found it necessary to purchase a battery lift strap, they are hard to grab in the storage box and as well to insert back in. These are really heavy and difficult to move, if you have any impairment consider a reseller who will install them for you. Four years ago, it was easy, today maybe not so.

One thing I do not miss are the random propane alarms. I do not know if they ever moved the location of that alarm at Escape.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 05:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I would like to get them installed but options are a little more limited that way. I have Les Schwab, Napa, and a couple of hardware stores. I haven't yet called around to see what each one carries. They go on the back bumper so easy enough for the dealer to put them in for me (after removing the old ones).
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 06:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I have not used AGM’s personally in RV application but I did do considerable research before deciding to make the leap to lithium. If I was looking for AGM’s I would definitely consider LifeLine. USA made, Mil-Spec. They won’t be the cheapest but likely some of the best out there.
https://lifelinebatteries.com/
Old 11-19-2023, 07:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C- Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 2011
Centennial CB-6 224 or 250 sealed AGM. My first pair lasted 6 years.
WyoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 11:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
No experience with them but Full River deep cycle AGM batteries are supposed to be a very high quality battery. I have considered them, but have not done anything yet.

https://fullriverbattery.com/battery-series/dc-series/

Charles
Old 11-20-2023, 04:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I had Lifeline and as previously stated, they were a bit more expensive than some others. In my case, they reduced false propane alarms but did not eliminate them until I boxed in the back side of the propane alarm which was two feet from the poorly vented battery box. They were still going strong after 5 years with several 2 month and a handful of two week trips until I decided to go lithium which can be drawn way down without damage. Lithium batteries are half the weight of lead acid batteries (flooded or AGM) and require a converter that is lithium capable (most here know that; I just don’t know if the OP does). They do not off gas like lead acid batteries do and they charge faster. Their only drawback is they do not charge well in low temperatures and are more expensive than lead acid batteries, if that is a consideration. Personally, I will NEVER use anything other than lithium batteries in my Escape again.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 21
If you switch to AGM s do you need to make any changes to your system.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
If you switch to AGM s do you need to make any changes to your system.
They should be just about as plug-and-play as you can get. You can usually set solar controllers to AGM to omit the equalization from the charge profile if desired. The WFCO is just a 3-stage charger without equalization anyhow so nothing to worry about there. Definitely not like Battleborn and others that IMO falsely claim their lithiums are “drop-in” solutions.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I had Lifeline and as previously stated, they were a bit more expensive than some others. In my case, they reduced false propane alarms but did not eliminate them until I boxed in the back side of the propane alarm which was two feet from the poorly vented battery box.
That's interesting. I always thought that AGM's did not vent anything appreciable at all unless they were overcharged.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:35 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
That's interesting. I always thought that AGM's did not vent anything appreciable at all unless they were overcharged.
That is true.
oldwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 02:32 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
I used a pair of Odyssey 12V AGM batteries in parallel for about 7 years. Purchased under the Sears label at a going-out-of-business sale for a reasonable price. Not so reasonable these days - but I have switched to lithium primarily for the weight savings. And these days lithiums are cheaper than top quality AGM batteries. But as noted, require a different approach to battery care and feeding.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 03:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
That is true.
Thai is what I thought too.

As I see it (because there was nothing else that should have caused false propane alarms) that “smart” converters relying on feedback from the batteries’ level of charge perhaps do not have as high an IQ as expected! Once I boxed in the Saf-T-Alert from the backside of the dinette bench’s wall, all false alarms stopped. I attributed it to very minor amounts of hydrogen. Could be I was wrong as to the cause.
Old 11-21-2023, 02:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 21
We've been using these :

https://www.vmaxtanks.com/V6-225-6Vo...ery-_p_48.html

For 2.5 years. So far, so good. They fit almost perfectly in the box under the seat, and like the other folks here, we no longer have to deal with the false propane alarms.
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 11:53 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018 escape 21
Lifeline battery agm's

I purchased Lifeline 3 months ago. Check out Batteryguys.com online. They had them on sale (still expensive, but every bit helps) and in stock with free shipping. The manufactured date was also only 1 month before ship. That date can be older from others places so keep that in mind. I checked about Crown but they wanted 250 for delivery. Couldn't find any Motive (trojan) ones.
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 12:12 PM   #16

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
I purchased Lifeline 3 months ago. Check out Batteryguys.com online. They had them on sale (still expensive, but every bit helps) and in stock with free shipping. The manufactured date was also only 1 month before ship. That date can be older from others places so keep that in mind. I checked about Crown but they wanted 250 for delivery. Couldn't find any Motive (trojan) ones.
Our friend's Lifeline AGM's in their Airstream 23FB replaced their Lifeline AGMs after 7 years of use, and well over 60,000 miles pulling. They have 300 watts on their roof, camp without services 50% of the time, and took them down to 30% SOC many times. Like us, they camp winters when the temps can get as low as 5F.

Their old Lifelines were given to their daughter/SIL for solar at their cabin on the North Shore.

If we were buying AGMs today I'd buy Lifeline AGMs.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-29-2023, 12:44 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Rather than hijack your post, I just posted my recent troubles with my AGM batteries.

I switched to AGM after my original flooded batteries lasted exactly five years. I got Lifeline and the first set were doing well until one was stolen and I had to buy two new ones. Having trouble with them.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 02:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 "Bubbles"
Canadian Tire

Purchased two 6 volt CG2 AGM batteries at Canadian Tire. Going on my sixth year. I have not even looked at them since I picked up my trailer. Leaving for the Palm Springs area and will need to run my furnace a couple of nights. I will see how they do and maybe pick up some new ones while I am down south.
I have heard of them lasting up to 10 years. they charge faster than conventional wet cells as well.

I looked into lithium's but its looks like a lot more trouble to change things out and more expensive.
Having said that I think its time to have a look at them!
grantpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 04:04 AM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
After watching this video I'm looking to go Lithium.