August 2017 Solar Eclipse - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #41

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
Anyone have information about good/decent BLM dispersed campsites in Eastern Oregon? I've Googled but haven't found any designated areas.

We're planning to go for the eclipse, but not sure where. There are a few National Forest camps in the path, first come first serve. I hate to go two weeks early though. A nice open BLM area would be ideal. Maybe an impromptu Escape rally?

Thanks.
Hugh, You need to subscribe, but 'allstays.com' shows most, if not all BLM and Nat'l Forest lands. It is $10 annual, but well worth it. Good Luck

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:11 PM   #42

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Steve:

Thanks. I have Allstays and UC Public apps. Not much showed up for BLM dispersed. A couple of sites in the Burnt River Canyon closer to I84. Looks like they may be for float trips and very hard to get to with a trailer. I was hoping for something near Unity.

Was also hoping someone had been there and knew of good boondocking sites.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Hugh, You need to subscribe, but 'allstays.com' shows most, if not all BLM and Nat'l Forest lands. It is $10 annual, but well worth it. Good Luck
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:24 PM   #43

Trailer: 1980s tent camper
eclipse plans

Funny, we had the same experience. Cove Palisades was the worst kept secret in this reservation "lottery". All the other state parks in totality are way worse viewing locations. The coast is always foggy in the summer in the morning. Silver Falls is in the middle of the forest. Detroit Lake and Salem/valley are often cloudy. Cove Palisades, however? Perfect.

I started at 12:00am and refreshed until 1:30am. No luck for the good stuff at Cove Palisades. They should have told people the sites would go online at 12:20am instead of 12:01am. We likely won't see anything in Salem, so we have backup plans in Eastern Oregon involving driving into totality. Hopefully the roads aren't as congested over there.

It's going to be a massive traffic jam. It's highly likely no one from Bend will get to totality zone. Everything in Bend is booked so tons of people have that idea. Congrats to those that reserved Cove Palisades! I'll be interested how they handle changing the first come first serve campgrounds to reservations for the event.
lionel_trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:42 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post

Gotta get our viewing glasses!
Last Friday my astronomy club's advisor handed me the club's Coronado solar telescope and practically insisted that I take it home and learn how to use it over the holidays. I expect to be blind in one eye by New Year's.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:45 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
Anyone have information about good/decent BLM dispersed campsites in Eastern Oregon? I've Googled but haven't found any designated areas.

We're planning to go for the eclipse, but not sure where. There are a few National Forest camps in the path, first come first serve. I hate to go two weeks early though. A nice open BLM area would be ideal. Maybe an impromptu Escape rally?

Thanks.
Hugh, I have had folks give some very good reports on Corps of Engineer parks in OR.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:57 PM   #46

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I think there might still be space in Madras at Solarfest. They have two different camping options at their weekend festival. At least their website doesn't say sold out.
Mandomary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #47

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21 "BE NICE"
Hope: Sites Still Available

Hi, Thanks for making me aware of the eclipse. I've been on the road and late getting to this issue. I knew I wanted to see this so I went to work. Yes, most RV sites are already booked. After numerous hours of searching I found space at a little known park called Durfur CIty Park. Cost was $25. See links provided.

Home

I'll be driving six hours down from Omak to get to Dufur on August 20th, Sunday. I'll get up early and drive an hour south to Cow Canyon Rest Stop which is in totality. I suspect some folks will just be staying in the rest stop overnight. (Not a bad idea if possible) State guidelines: "Setting up a tent or other structure, camping, or remaining in a rest area for more than 12 hours within any 24-hour period"

I did find some other sites that are still available in Sisters because they do not start reservations until after the first of the year. According to the map, they will be in totality. January 4th the Sisters RV Park opens for reservation on their web site at 8 AM,

City of Sisters

Cold Creek Park, a little west of Sisters, opens for reservation on Feb 19th.

Forest Service

Great life time event.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2395.JPG  
dbawden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:16 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbawden View Post
After numerous hours of searching I found space at a little known park called Durfur CIty Park.

I'll get up early and drive an hour south to Cow Canyon Rest Stop which is in totality.
That is a great campground find in the big city of Dufur, OR! You will have about 1 min, 51 sec of totality at the rest stop.

I "drove" the rest stop road via Google Street View and I see there are four street lights in the parking area. They may automatically turn on during totality and spoil the experience. You might consider walk away from the parking area to avoid that possibility.

Keep searching folks, there may be more reasonably priced campgrounds within an short drive of totality. Don't forget to use this map to check the exact eclipse path and totality duration for any location along the path of the eclipse: USA - 2017 August 21 Total Solar Eclipse - Interactive Google Map - Xavier Jubier
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:07 AM   #49

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Campsite reservation at LaPine State Park

Has anyone transferred a reservation from themselves to someone else through the Oregon State Parks reservation system? If so, how do you go about it?

I MIGHT be cancelling my reservation at LaPine State Park, which is from August 17th to the 21st as I might be staying elsewhere with friends. It's not 100% confirmed but I thought I'd find out what needs to be done to change a reservation to someone else. I've already paid for it, so not sure what happens there.

And yes, if someone on this forum is interested, let me know.

Thanks
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:29 AM   #50
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I want it! sending you a PM; I've done this myself several times.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:30 AM   #51
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Has anyone transferred a reservation from themselves to someone else through the Oregon State Parks reservation system? If so, how do you go about it?

I MIGHT be cancelling my reservation at LaPine State Park, which is from August 17th to the 21st as I might be staying elsewhere with friends. It's not 100% confirmed but I thought I'd find out what needs to be done to change a reservation to someone else. I've already paid for it, so not sure what happens there.

And yes, if someone on this forum is interested, let me know.

Thanks
I want it! sending you a PM; I've done this myself several times.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 12-15-2016, 01:05 AM   #52

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

Well, looks like Charlie will get it, if I give up the reservation, which I won't know for about a week or so. Heck, he even sent the msg twice!
Old 12-15-2016, 06:27 AM   #53

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Made reservations at a TN state park that's right in the path, when getting the final $ total it showed a "Solar Eclipse Adjustment" that doubled the parks nightly price of $22.50.

Hoping to get reservations at one of the Federal campgrounds in the Smokies and cancel the state park, if it hasn't burned down.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #54

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
In the Tetons they increased the rate for the cabins (I'm not sure about the rv park) for a few days around the eclipse. Likewise the hotel rooms are way more than usual.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #55

Supply and demand! Isn't that part of Econ 101?
Old 12-24-2016, 05:07 PM   #56

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Donna, this is a solar eclipse at about 10:15 in morning. I don't think it will be total darkness because the sun's cornea will still provide some light. I could be wrong about that. Something to research.
corona
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #57

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Oregon has just announced that they will open up an additional 1000 campsites for the eclipse. Over half of them will be in the path of totality - some at the coast, some in the valley and some in central in eastern Oregon. Reservations will start at 8 am Wednesday April 19. So if you're still trying to make plans - here are some new choices. For more info on eclipse camping, call OPRD information line at 1-800-551-6949

Oregon State Parks to open 1,000 new eclipse viewing campsites
Mandomary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:43 PM   #58

Trailer: 17B Picked up 4/19/16
The story is the same in Missouri, hotels full and campgrounds full. We are lucky enough to have a friend who's farm is in the path. Nothing like camping in the pasture.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:51 PM   #59
Commercial Member

Probably sell out in 5 minutes or less. I spent hours from midnight on just trying to get onto the reservation website then found they sold out in less an 1 hour.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 04-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #60

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Nothing like camping in the pasture.
Watch your step. Especially during totality.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote