Camping from Virginia to Connecticut in October - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2023, 03:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Camping from Virginia to Connecticut in October

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip from Waynesboro Virginia up to New Milford CT in October with my 5.0..

I am hoping that reservations will not be totally necessary and I can just meander for a few hundred miles and find places to camp.

Does anyone know how crowded campgrounds along the Appalachian mts. are in October?

Any hints about making my way would be greatly appreciated. This kind of camping is new to me, I am usually out West. I would love to hear about cool places too.

Thanks.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 07:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Depending on the timing of leaf season the mountain areas in Virginia can be pretty full, especially Shenandoah National Park.
edlynnrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 11:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
You may be able to find available campsites during the week in October. Weekends may be a little more difficult. Especially during fall foliage season.

Personally I would avoid taking I-95 and instead take I-81 and I-84 going to New Milford, CT.

Some camping suggestions along this route you may want to consider are:
Caledonia State Park and Pine Grove Furnace State Park. Both located in southern PA near I-81.
Jonestown / Hershey NE KOA Campground near Lebanon, PA. Very convenient off the highway but a little noisier than you may like. Nice place for a quick overnight stop and also convenient to Hershey.

If you're looking to do some sightseeing then Hickory Run State Park in eastern PA would be worth checking out. While there plan to spend a day in the nearby town of Jim Thorpe. Lots to do and see in the historic downtown. The Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway departs from Jim Thorpe and is a very popular excursion. There are also hiking and bike trails in the area.

Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, PA is another attraction that is close by. Unfortunately the infield camping closes October first but you still may get a chance to do the Nascar experience and drive a stock car around the track.

For a little slower pace, Eckley Miners Village Museum offers a great representation of the history on anthracite coal mining in the area.

Dinner and a live concert at Penn's Peak would be a great way to finish off the day.

Hope you find some of these suggestions helpful.
Looks like we may be passing you as we will be heading south in October to Marion, VA and the Hungry Mother fiberglass rally.
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 07:39 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Ditto to Nepaweb's I81-I84 route, which we routinely take back and forth from MA to VA, except we go SW to Powhatan via US15 and VA522. If you cut over to Culpepper and head up to Harrisburg on US15 a good place for an overnight is the Cunningham Falls State Park between Frederick and Gettysburg.

Ditto too on Hickory Run SP and Jim Thorpe. For just overnights on 81 north of Harrisburg, we stop at Locust Lake SP, and further on I84, Promised Land SP.
Old 09-05-2023, 11:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
These suggestions are what I was hoping for. What a great group.

Now to go research all of this and get out there.

Amy more suggestions are quite welcome.

Thank you.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote