Enjoying Newfoundland - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2023, 07:09 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Enjoying Newfoundland

We have been here two weeks and enjoyed every minute. Great food, scenery and people. Left Gros Morne yesterday, in Le Scie now. Watching icebergs, whales, bald eagles out our back window now ! All for $30 a night with 15A and good water ! A week left before we cross back to reality…..
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8634.jpg   IMG_4526.jpg   IMG_8617.jpg  
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 07:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Good to hear you're getting the classic Newfoundland experience complete with icebergs, whales and bald eagles. Our trip to Newfoundland was exactly a year ago when we had excellent mostly clear weather but saw only one iceberg and only one whale. It was still a great trip and we look forward to another one some day.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 07:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Great to see and hear.

We are doing 23 days there just into August a bit. We have never been and are really looking forward to it.

Any favourite things to see or do. We have reservations around the top of the island.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 07:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Great to see and hear.

We are doing 23 days there just into August a bit. We have never been and are really looking forward to it.

Any favourite things to see or do. We have reservations around the top of the island.
Located at Cape St Marys in the southeastern corner is a gannett colony which is very interesting. A visit to the visitor center prior to going out to the colony will tell you much you want to know about the birds. As our neighbors who have lived in Newfoundland and visited many times since say, "every coastline in Newfoundland seems like the end of the earth." In my estimation Cape St Marys epitomizes that characterization of the Newfoundland coastline.

We arrived at 8:30 pm and simply used the parking lot as our campsite and were the first ones in at the visitor center the next morning for a personal guided tour of the center depicting life in the colony.

John
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3350.jpg   IMG_3367.jpg  
Old 07-02-2023, 10:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Loving every bit of this Newfoundland discussion and photos! We hope to make the trek from California to that region next year (Nova Scotia too). We just returned from some camping, and today its forecast for 107 degrees so this is the month to have some hours indoors and start planning. I don’t like the idea of traveling in the heat of summer (long cross country trek to get there and many sights we want to see), but I suppose that the summer is the best time to be there, correct?

Any tips and info that any of you have would be most appreciated. We’re formulating our “want to see along the way” list now, but that’s all so far. It won’t be a rush trip to arrive, but rather an experience all along the way.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 11:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 2012 E19
It's a beautiful area, and you can take pride in having the best looking trailer in the campground, too. Enjoy!
Old 07-02-2023, 01:00 PM   #7

Much to see and do here, hiking, bird watching, scenery, seafood, meeting some very interesting people.
We were here last year in August for two weeks and wanted to come back to focus on the areas we liked the best and see some icebergs. It hard to find an iceberg in August. Lots around right now.
Anyone interested in hiking, scenery, birds should consider Gros Morne National Park.
If you do the shorter ferry ride to Port Aux Basques consider Grand Codroy Campground. Very close to the ferry terminal. A beautiful family owned and run camp ground.
In North Sydney we stayed in Arm of Gold Camp ground, also family run and excellent.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4250.jpg   IMG_4255.jpg   IMG_3647.jpg   IMG_8464.jpg  
Old 07-02-2023, 01:24 PM   #8

The ferry to Port Aux Basques is 6.5 hrs. We got a pet friendly cabin so our dog wouldn’t be in a crate on the crossing. The cabins have 4 bunks, shower, TV etc. WiFi is slow. Food is quite good.

The iceberg beer and iceberg rum is refreshing !

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender.jpg   IMG_8418a.jpg  
Old 07-02-2023, 02:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA
Sitting in the lineup in N Sydney waiting to board any minute. Heading to St. John’s now and we’ll come back through Port aux Basques. We’re there for 3 wks heading back on the 21st. With the exception of a bit of dodging wildfires and smoke in northern ON and particularly in the Gaspe it’s been awesome so far!!
land’SCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 02:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Our outstanding, unforgetable visit, many-many moons ago ...
Attached Thumbnails
NFLand01.jpg   NFLand02.jpg  
Old 07-02-2023, 03:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
The ferry to Port Aux Basques is 6.5 hrs. We got a pet friendly cabin so our dog wouldn’t be in a crate on the crossing. The cabins have 4 bunks, shower, TV etc. WiFi is slow. Food is quite good.

The iceberg beer and iceberg rum is refreshing !

Bob
Hi: Lanark Camper... I see you got to hold the best "Iceberg" in NL. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 03:54 PM   #12

We just boarded and thanks to Escape Artist, I remembered to unplug the 7pin connector! ��
Old 07-02-2023, 05:50 PM   #13

Alf, yes I love icebergs !

Land’Scape, enjoy the time on The Rock ! I’m sure you will be treated well.
I asked a local here this morning about buying some seafood for supper. He called a fisherman he knew, then insisted he drive to the dock to pick it up and drove me back to the campground. Treating a complete stranger like that explains what happened here on 9/11 completely.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8661.jpeg  
Old 07-02-2023, 06:39 PM   #14

Great story Bob and not uncommon in Newfoundland. We boondocked on a decommissioned wharf 4 days and nights in Tilting on Fogo Island. Enjoying the last hour of the day on the edge of the wharf one evening a family of 5 came by in their boat for a sunset sail and offered us a ride. Total strangers we were. It was exhilarating. As if to thank us for taking an evening boat ride with them, the man came by next day with a mess of frozen cod.
John
Old 07-03-2023, 07:31 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Keep the fun experiences coming, making lots of notes to add to those we already have. One thing I realize is we sure aren't going to see everything in 23 days.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 08:25 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
I’m keeping this thread open on my iPad for easy checking each day. Love hearing everyone’s details about their wonderful experiences with people and places. Taking notes for sure and appreciating it all!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 10:48 AM   #17

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
I’m keeping this thread open on my iPad for easy checking each day. Love hearing everyone’s details about their wonderful experiences with people and places. Taking notes for sure and appreciating it all!
It's be interesting to learn the route you take next year. We are a few years away from having the time to do it but the distance from the Western US seems a bit daunting. So, I was encouraged that you are contemplating this trip and will be interested in how you go about it.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 02:38 PM   #18

Great first day exploring the Cape St. Mary’s Ecological Reserve; short walk out to see the Gannets. We thought it was well worth the drive (about an hour south of Placentia)
Old 07-03-2023, 03:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
Loving every bit of this Newfoundland discussion and photos! We hope to make the trek from California to that region next year (Nova Scotia too). We just returned from some camping, and today its forecast for 107 degrees so this is the month to have some hours indoors and start planning. I don’t like the idea of traveling in the heat of summer (long cross country trek to get there and many sights we want to see), but I suppose that the summer is the best time to be there, correct?

Any tips and info that any of you have would be most appreciated. We’re formulating our “want to see along the way” list now, but that’s all so far. It won’t be a rush trip to arrive, but rather an experience all along the way.
Ellen, others. We chose to take the Argentia ferry over & will take the Port aux Basques ferry back. The Argentia ferry is 16hours and to make it a pleasurable me experience you need to book a berth. We booked several months and had to waitlist for one. Luckily, we got the call two days ago and so last night we had a nice place to sleep, instead of sitting up all night. Message: find out how early you can book and book a cabin. Well worth it in my estimation.
Old 07-03-2023, 06:55 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 E19
One cannot stay in the trailer during the ferry ride? Also, why is pulling the 7-pin plug important? (Sorry if I missed an earlier explanation.)