Enjoying Newfoundland - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2023, 07:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
One cannot stay in the trailer during the ferry ride? Also, why is pulling the 7-pin plug important? (Sorry if I missed an earlier explanation.)
Hi Mike. Short answer’s no. No one is allowed on the vehicle decks once the boat leaves north Sydney, no exceptions. Some folks take the shorter ferry both ways to make it shorter for their pets, but then you have to drive the island twice. They have a number to call when you’re ready and they’re very helpful. I carry a couple of Jerry cans with me, one full. (Tundra - small tank). I checked with them and you’re not allowed more than one Jerry can, full or empty for example - so little things like that are worth checking on. The campsite in Sydney was kind enough to hold my empty tank until I return.

In terms of the 7 pin - check out the thread: “Trip ideas for Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland” and see Escape Artists post. Again, it’s 16 hours so takes a little planning. We chose to deplete our perishables before the voyage and turn the fridge off no worries - but it wasn’t as easy for Alf. ��
land’SCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 10:54 AM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I once read a quote that was attributed to Mark Twain about Nova Scotia.

"Go to heaven if you want but I'd druther stay here"

Not Newfoundland, but close.
Old 07-04-2023, 07:03 PM   #23

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by land’SCAPE View Post
Great first day exploring the Cape St. Mary’s Ecological Reserve; short walk out to see the Gannets. We thought it was well worth the drive (about an hour south of Placentia)
Definitely well worth the drive. Like John Kliewer, we spent the night in the visitor's parking lot. Here are a few images which I captured before the fog, rain, and wind kicked in around 6pm. The fog was so thick that in the morning, there was just a barely discernable view of the visitor's center and lighthouse. Wind buffeted the trailer all night accompanied by rain and the comforting sound of the lighthouse foghorn. We would have stayed another day but the weather was not good.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg  
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 07:32 PM   #24

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Twillingate ~ Icebergs

We were camping in Twillingate mid-June for 4 days. Most of that time we were holed up in the trailer. The temperatures dropped down into the low 30's at night. Lot's of rain and fog. Had to scrap all but one hike that was on the itinerary. We got drenched on that hike. The best view we got of icebergs was in the late afternoon of the day of our arrival. These images are spread out over 3 days. We saw icebergs from Saint Anthony all the way 'down' to the Bonavista region. We also saw a lot of drift ice up against the shore line. One day it would be there. The next day it would be gone. The tide would shift it into someone else's back yard.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg   7.jpg  
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 10:04 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ever had the feeling you were being watched...?
Attached Thumbnails
seals.jpg  
Old 07-05-2023, 10:36 AM   #26

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Yes. By the puffins just outside of Elliston.
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 04:46 PM   #27

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Definitely well worth the drive. Like John Kliewer, we spent the night in the visitor's parking lot. Here are a few images which I captured before the fog, rain, and wind kicked in around 6pm. The fog was so thick that in the morning, there was just a barely discernable view of the visitor's center and lighthouse. Wind buffeted the trailer all night accompanied by rain and the comforting sound of the lighthouse foghorn. We would have stayed another day but the weather was not good.
Nice views of the avians. But that rough, rocky cliff face looks like it's for the birds!
Old 07-05-2023, 04:49 PM   #28

Quote:
In terms of the 7 pin - check out the thread: “Trip ideas for Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland” and see Escape Artists post. Again, it’s 16 hours so takes a little planning. We chose to deplete our perishables before the voyage and turn the fridge off no worries - but it wasn’t as easy for Alf. ��
I see. I guess I didn't think about the battery drain issue because (1) I thought maybe they'd allow the fridge to run on LP... but apparently not, and (2) my tow vehicle shuts off the battery power at the 7-pin when the ignition is off.
Old 07-06-2023, 07:00 AM   #29

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA
Yesterday we visited the most eastern point in North America - Cape Spears and watched the whales for a bit from the lighthouse….had an Iceberg beer at the Quidi Vidi Brewery, great Fish ‘n Chips at The Ship Pub and finally, we got ‘Screeched Inn’ as honourary Newfoundlanders by kissing the Cod at Christian’s Pub. As days go, a very great day. Even woke up at 3:00am to a full on thunderstorm. Already I’m feeling like I should’ve booked more than 3 weeks here!

You know you’re in Newfoundland when…..the Parks guide at Cape Spears told my wife that she was late for work earlier this week because she forgot her bus pass and when she ran back to get it, a moose was on her front lawn, so when the next bus arrived she told the driver and he let her on. 🙂
land’SCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 01:45 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
We are back home. Was a great trip, our second to Newfoundland. It’s important to know how to say it ! It’s not New-Found-Land, it’s, newfin-LAND ! And labri-DOOR ! ��

We drove just over 5000 Kms, fuel averaged about $1.73 a lt from Montreal east. Our driving time was 64 hrs average speed 80 km/hr, according to our GPS. Typically on the highway we drive the speed limit. There were a few heavy rain storms, construction, detours etc.

Be sure to pickup some partridge berry jam, or pie !

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender.jpg   IMG_4526.jpg   IMG_4618.jpg  
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 01:47 PM   #31

A few more pictures….
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8636.jpg   IMG_8661.jpeg   FullSizeRender.jpg  
Old 07-12-2023, 02:03 PM   #32

We enjoyed two campgrounds near the ferry terminals, convenient, full hookups, family owned and operated. Highly recommended !

https://www.grandcodroy.com/
Is very close to the Port aux Basque ferry

Arm Of Gold - The Closest Newfoundland Ferry Campground
In Nova Scotia

Bob
Old 07-12-2023, 02:09 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

Some folks take the shorter ferry both ways to make it shorter for their pets, but then you have to drive the island twice.
We did that and for that reason. Another way to look at it is more time on the Rock.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 03:20 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
It's be interesting to learn the route you take next year. We are a few years away from having the time to do it but the distance from the Western US seems a bit daunting. So, I was encouraged that you are contemplating this trip and will be interested in how you go about it.
Yes Kavm, the length of the trip is daunting, but the fun is in the trip, not just the destination. I’m not very well traveled (husband more so, but lots we want to see) so we’re trying to list places to stop either on the way there, or back. We’re meeting up with 2 other couples (our dearest friends) one of which lives in New Hampshire and has been waiting for us to be close enough to retirement to make this trip. We traveled the southwest together for 2 weeks this last fall and it was wonderful. Two+ months is a whole different matter, but with so much to see and experience and people before us saying how wonderful their trips are, we have no doubt that with planning, it’ll be worth the effort!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 03:24 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
We are back home. Was a great trip, our second to Newfoundland. It’s important to know how to say it ! It’s not New-Found-Land, it’s, newfin-LAND ! And labri-DOOR ! ��

We drove just over 5000 Kms, fuel averaged about $1.73 a lt from Montreal east. Our driving time was 64 hrs average speed 80 km/hr, according to our GPS. Typically on the highway we drive the speed limit. There were a few heavy rain storms, construction, detours etc.

Be sure to pickup some partridge berry jam, or pie !

Bob
Bob, can you please remind me where you’re camping in the middle photo? I want to be sure to put that location in my notes. Thanks!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 05:51 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Double sealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Hi: MyronL... Reminds me of the Good hose keeping seal of approval. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 07:37 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
Bob, can you please remind me where you’re camping in the middle photo? I want to be sure to put that location in my notes. Thanks!
Ellen, that is in a small fishing village, “Le Scie” . A beautiful harbour. There is one camp ground set up by the village, about 20 spaces. A new comfort station, two showers, laundry, $2 to wash, $2 to dry, just drop your money in the box.
No deposit required to reserve a site. The sites are $30 a night with water and 15A power. You can see the campground from above in one of my pictures. Good hiking trails. We saw lots of iceberg calves. We stayed here for 4 nights and were very happy with the experience.

https://townoflascie.wixsite.com/lascie

If you have any other questions happy to answer them, Bob
Old 07-12-2023, 07:40 PM   #38

The camp ground is called Island Cove, you can see it on Google Earth,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2049.jpg  
Old 07-12-2023, 08:08 PM   #39

Congrats on a safe, successful vacation. One thing I don't recall you mentioning is nuisance bugs (mosquitos, no-see-ums, biting black flies, etc). Were there many to contend with, or not really?

I've been reading posts by RVers to Alaska and they mention lots of bad bugs, occasions of rain for days or sometimes weeks straight, and plenty of tight, "parking lot" style campgrounds (in AK itself). No mention of how nice everyone living there seems to be. Newfoundland is about 1400 round-trip miles closer to me than Anchorage AK, the campgrounds sound nicer, the weather sounds okay, and the people definitely sound wonderful. It has me sort of thinking, "Hmmmm... which place would I rather visit first?"
Old 07-12-2023, 08:36 PM   #40

Thankfully we had very few bugs. We had wind and that usually helps keep them away. We did carry a can of Off and did use it a bit.
I live in Ontario and very accustomed to camping in May and June with very bad black flies and mosquitoes. Usually they die off as it heats up in June.
We expected cool wet weather when we planned our trip to NL. It was warmer and dryer than expected. We did have some heavy rain while driving, fortunately it didn’t impact on any of our hiking. I did get soaked one morning hooking up the trailer to move to Gros Morne from Blow Me Down Provincial Park. Wearing a good rain coat my paints and shoes were soaked right through. As sailors say, no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes !

Bob