4Runner as tow vehicle for 19' - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #91

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My Dodge Ram has the 5.7 Hemi and it can roar if needed. But I decided on the non turbo 5.7 vs the 3.0 turbo diesel for a lot of the reasons listed here. Having had turbos in the past during the gas crunches they make a smaller motor think it is bigger, but they are expensive to replace. My other Ram had a Hemi with 5 sppeed and I got 12 mpg, towing or not, it did not make any difference. But what turned me on to the newer one is the 8 speed which enables me to achieve close to 15 mpg towing and 20 mpg unhitched. I can cruise at 1800 rpm while towing and never exceed 3,000 over the mountains, I'm not working my engine half as hard as the turbos are.
It seems some European manufacturers are doing the gear changes versus turbos to achieve parity.
We got a Jeep Grand Cherokee and discussed whether or not to get the V6 or V8. We ended up getting the V6 with 8 speed transmission. We cruise at about 1800 rpm and don't exceed 4000 rpm over the mountains, so we work it harder than the V8 would. However, we get about 17 mpg in the city and 25 mpg on the highway when not towing, and a remarkable 17 mpg all the time when towing our 19. With the 25 gallon fuel tank, we can go a long time between gas stations. I am very happy with it and we are not sorry we got the V6. The diesel turbo was just hitting the market when we bought, and I don't buy new things the first year they are out. We did buy the new transmission but as pointed out, it is new to Chrysler but not new design. I also didn't like the idea of a turbo and am happy with our non-turbo V6 which has more HP than older V8s did.

bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:11 PM   #92
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
That v-6 Pentastar engine is one of Ward's top recommended motors.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:25 PM   #93

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I am very happy with it and we are not sorry we got the V6. The diesel turbo was just hitting the market when we bought, and I don't buy new things the first year they are out. We did buy the new transmission but as pointed out, it is new to Chrysler but not new design. I also didn't like the idea of a turbo and am happy with our non-turbo V6 which has more HP than older V8s did.
The Ram EcoDiesel is actually the VM Motori L630, used in the Grand Cherokee and other vehicles since 2011 in Euro-emissions form and called the A630... but it is new to North America, with U.S./Canada legal emission controls. If you want one for a money-is-no-object custom project, Banks also sells it as the 630T.

I agree that the relative simplicity of a non-turbocharged engine - especially a proven one - is attractive.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote