4Runner as tow vehicle for 19' - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2015, 02:17 PM   #61
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
Trailer: Escape 19
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I assume you mean GX 460; the LS 460 is a sedan.

Since the spare tire is not on the rear door of the GX, I'm surprised that the door is side-hinged.
The previous generation (GX470) was the same way, and was one factor towards me purchasing a 4Runner instead. On a related topic, 4Runners have a roll down rear window, while the GX470 does not. Very useful feature IMO.

For those that are unaware, the GX470 shares chassis/frame with the 4th generation 4Runner (Toyota 120 platform). Similar situation with the GX460 and 5th generation 4Runner.

Another vehicle I was considering was a used 100 series Toyota Land Cruiser (or Lexus LX470 is the equivalent). In the states they didn't have huge production numbers, and regarded as little more than mini-vans. Overseas they have tremendous respect as bulletproof expedition vehicles; the drivetrains on all of these vehicles are very similar (or identical in many cases).
__________________

smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #62
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 " June Bug"
Posts: 90
Thanks Brian, super helpful...originally from chicago area. This is helpful, I am just not comfortable with a 4500 GWR on the 21 pulling with the 4runner unless I could find a great used older model with the v8....will investigate Lexus LX470 and Toyota Land Cruiser. Thanks
__________________

crnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #63
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 " June Bug"
Posts: 90
Looks like toyota is doing some re-design on the 4runner and will be offering the V8 option for 2016, only thing is I wanted to buy used and the limited with the v8 might not be in my budget.
crnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:53 PM   #64
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by crnelson View Post
Looks like toyota is doing some re-design on the 4runner and will be offering the V8 option for 2016, only thing is I wanted to buy used and the limited with the v8 might not be in my budget.
The current 4Runner is apparently built on the platform of the Prado 120, which came with a V8 (as the Lexus GX 470), so little if any redesign would be necessary. Even an "all-new" 4Runner would presumably be built on the Prado 150 platform, which is already sold in North America with a V8 as the Lexus GX 460.

I suspect that a V8 for 2016 is purely rumour, perhaps started by any of the many web sites which claim to offer news of upcoming models, but are really near-random material assembled in broken English to attract people doing Google searches and thus sell advertising.

I have not seen anything from Toyota about this, and a 2016 model year 4Runner would already be in production so there should be no mystery. Toyota USA is already featuring the 2016 4Runner as the current model, and I don't see any indication of an engine choice beyond the 4.0 L V6.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:24 PM   #65
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
Trailer: Escape 19
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The current 4Runner is apparently built on the platform of the Prado 120, which came with a V8 (as the Lexus GX 470), so little if any redesign would be necessary. Even an "all-new" 4Runner would presumably be built on the Prado 150 platform, which is already sold in North America with a V8 as the Lexus GX 460.

I suspect that a V8 for 2016 is purely rumour, perhaps started by any of the many web sites which claim to offer news of upcoming models, but are really near-random material assembled in broken English to attract people doing Google searches and thus sell advertising.

I have not seen anything from Toyota about this, and a 2016 model year 4Runner would already be in production so there should be no mystery. Toyota USA is already featuring the 2016 4Runner as the current model, and I don't see any indication of an engine choice beyond the 4.0 L V6.
Current generation 4Runner (5th gen, or 2010+) uses the 150 platform, I am almost certain. I *am* certain that the 4th generation 4Runner (2003-2009) is on the 120 platform.

Either way your point is valid, a V8 should be easily accomplished on the platform; I have yet to see any official news on the topic.
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #66
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kamloops, British Columbia
Trailer: 19ft
Posts: 9
Good call Craig on passing on the 4500 GWR. My 2003 V8 is rate 7000Lbs and 700 on the pin. Pulling my 19er with a 50% cushion is huge. Even with that the no load is 2000rpm and 2500 as soon as the hitch hits the ball. So 25% more fuel before it leaves the driveway.....
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:22 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
Current generation 4Runner (5th gen, or 2010+) uses the 150 platform, I am almost certain. I *am* certain that the 4th generation 4Runner (2003-2009) is on the 120 platform.
The 150 series platform would make sense for the 5th gen 4Runner because it was introduced at the same time as the Prado update, but I haven't seen a clear statement of that and didn't have really authoritative information about it. I suppose comparing a GX 470 to a GX 460 chassis might reveal the 120 to 150 series differences, then one could look for which one the 5th gen 4Runner matches... just entertainment for gearheads.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:02 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
My 2003 V8 ...
...
Even with that the no load is 2000rpm and 2500 as soon as the hitch hits the ball. So 25% more fuel before it leaves the driveway.....
I assume that you mean it cruises on the highway at 2000 rpm in 5th gear without the trailer, and at 2500 in 4th gear at the same road speed with the trailer, with the automatic transmission selecting the gear.

Fuel consumption is not proportional to engine speed in general, but the difference does indicate that the engine is working substantially harder. Adding a couple of tons of trailer to a tug which is about the same weight should increase fuel consumption by at least one quarter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #69
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Beaconsfield, Quebec
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Posts: 24

Nice to seethis thread of messages. I am goingthrough the same decision making process. We are planning on getting the 21’Escapeand debating whether the 2015 or 2016 4Runner is strong enough to pull thetrailer. As we all do, we usually pullmore than just the trailer but also bikes kayaks, etc. My question is does the4Runner come with the Class 3 hitch and a transmission radiator/cooler?

Thanks

Carl
Miguezc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #70
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Allendale, New Jersey
Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguezc View Post
Nice to seethis thread of messages. I am goingthrough the same decision making process. We are planning on getting the 21’Escapeand debating whether the 2015 or 2016 4Runner is strong enough to pull thetrailer. As we all do, we usually pullmore than just the trailer but also bikes kayaks, etc. My question is does the4Runner come with the Class 3 hitch and a transmission radiator/cooler?

I pulled a 19' with a 2014 4Runner this Summer from Chilliwack, BC to NJ. I broke no land speed records, and cruised around 65mph. I think if I purchased the 21' I would personally prefer a higher tow rating and some more power if speeding time up in the mountains.
__________________

GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.