Got My Build Sheet -- Escape 19! HELP! - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #31

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I haven't seen a need yet for the foam insulation.. One of my problems with the foam would be the hindered access to mechanicals/electricals under the trailer. If something goes awry down there I like to be able to quickly visually access the issue without first having to try to guess what area of the insulation to cut out and chasing the problem. In addition potential heat transfer in structures is greatest the through roofs/ceilings then walls finally floors thats why building codes specify more insulation in those areas then floors.

There really is no electrical nor mechanical issues outside your shell, the only wires are the sensors attached to the tanks. True you lose your heat thru the roof, but a trailer with a warm floor feels warmer. The building codes for homes assume your floors are not exposed to cold as they are in a trailer. Having had it both ways, I can tell you the trailer is warmer with the foam.
Im agreeing with you on the feeling of warmth but I'm a mechanical engineer so pipes and tanks fall under my purview. There are still some critical and relatively easily damaged (by weather and road hazards) critical systems below the building envelope. This camper puts on his handmade wool socks when my tootsies are a little chilly.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
When I use my Melita, I pour water & coffee in a separate container. Mix, allow to sit for a few minutes. Mix one more time and then pour through filter. Many of the advantages of a press, but easy clean up.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
"Im agreeing with you on the feeling of warmth but I'm a mechanical engineer so pipes and tanks fall under my purview. There are still some critical and relatively easily damaged (by weather and road hazards) critical systems below the building envelope.."
Exactly, that is why protecting them with 2" foam helps!!
Old 09-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
"Im agreeing with you on the feeling of warmth but I'm a mechanical engineer so pipes and tanks fall under my purview. There are still some critical and relatively easily damaged (by weather and road hazards) critical systems below the building envelope.."
Exactly, that is why protecting them with 2" foam helps!!
Hmm.. 12/120v tank/pipe heating heating pads will definitely help with the weather issues.. Im considering adding some version of those myself to extend my (non winterized) camping season.

But 2" of closed cell foam isn't going to protect low hanging mechanical structures no matter what speed a 3000# vehicle is travelling. I just like dealing with the aftermath of those types of issues as simply/quickly as possible without the foam in the way.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burloak View Post
But 2" of closed cell foam isn't going to protect low hanging mechanical structures no matter what speed a 3000# vehicle is travelling. I just like dealing with the aftermath of those types of issues as simply/quickly as possible without the foam in the way.
I have the foam and it is not "low hanging" at all, and has no impact on ground clearance. Would be useful to look at it if you have not seen one. To me it was a good choice with insulating and sound deadening benefits. Others may see things their own way.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I have the foam and it is not "low hanging" at all, and has no impact on ground clearance. Would be useful to look at it if you have not seen one. To me it was a good choice with insulating and sound deadening benefits. Others may see things their own way.
I have seen it (been to the factory twice) and again agree that it can make your trailer relatively warmer/cooler and quieter.

Im referring to the PLASTIC mechanical structures (tanks and pipes) exterior (lower) to the steel frame of the vehicle. All of that is low hanging and extremely vulnerable in a moving vehicle and will have be repaired.. more easily done without the whole bottom of the vehicle covered in very adhesive foam.

Im not sure of the road hazards where you drive but in my 44 years behind the wheel Ive struck exhaust pipes, large rocks, frozen blocks of ice falling off of a transport truck trailer, and various animals small and large all of which damaged the car I was driving requiring repair. In my case I just want to keep the inevitable remediation as simple as possible.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I can see if you live in Canmore you will have more animals, large and small. It's the stinky ones that really get you.

Good point on undercoating. From a sound perspective I have an uninsulated Escape and I find the noise from the outside is already minimized. Now if I lived in Canmore I would want insulation, not undercoating.

How about carrying bales of straw to put around the outside of the trailer? Here in Wisconsin this is common, the downside is you usually end up with a bumper crop of mice.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #38

Keep in mind that standard items can also be removed for credit.
We do not have a stove hood fan and our experience is it is not needed.
The opening window in the washroom was not offered at the time of our purchase. In hindsight we would have deleted the roof vent in favour of an opening window. We are blowing out pine needles etc. from the screen in the roof vent regularly. Penetrating the roof makes little sense to me if you have a window. The roof vent will be the first to deteriorate from UV and can be subject to damage if you forget to close it underway.
BRietkerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I can see if you live in Canmore you will have more animals, large and small. It's the stinky ones that really get you.

Good point on undercoating. From a sound perspective I have an uninsulated Escape and I find the noise from the outside is already minimized. Now if I lived in Canmore I would want insulation, not undercoating.

How about carrying bales of straw to put around the outside of the trailer? Here in Wisconsin this is common, the downside is you usually end up with a bumper crop of mice.
LOL.. I move around.. a lot. My biggest interaction with an animal was in the finger lakes district of NY a few miles outside of Ithica. Large buck white tailed deer at dusk which ended up going under my Cavalier. Car was a write-off.. I had to leave town back to Ontario with only my plates and a police report in a very complicated two country one way rental :-(

Beware the mice! make sure the trailer is absolutely as cold as possible during storage (and that the storage site has LOTS of nasty rat/mice poison liberally applied :-)
Old 09-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRietkerk View Post
Keep in mind that standard items can also be removed for credit.
We do not have a stove hood fan and our experience is it is not needed.
The opening window in the washroom was not offered at the time of our purchase. In hindsight we would have deleted the roof vent in favour of an opening window. We are blowing out pine needles etc. from the screen in the roof vent regularly. Penetrating the roof makes little sense to me if you have a window. The roof vent will be the first to deteriorate from UV and can be subject to damage if you forget to close it underway.
you always need a intake and an exhaust for a static ventilation system to function properly. A sole window will need an exhaust, your MaxxFan will help, if you want that moisture in your unit.