Our 21' Escape Trailer purchase issues - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2019, 09:16 PM   #81

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
When I started reading this thread I thought I was reading Twitter! I’m glad to see the comments have generally moved back in the direction of being respectful while still having a spirited discussion. This is what has drawn me to this forum and why I continue to come back for valuable insight and information.

As for ETI quality, one cannot draw conclusions based upon anecdotal evidence posted to this or any other forum. These anecdotes represent a only very small percentage of ETI deliveries. I suspect there is a strong bias to report problems rather than good experiences. This is common in any industry. Does anyone make a decision to buy a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge solely based upon customer complaints? I don’t think so. On this and other forums, there is a entire category dedicated to Problem Solving. Is there a category dedicated to good experiences? My point is we continue to read a limited set of biased data and make broad assumptions about the quality of a product. I will continue to read about these issues but also take into account my own experience and other data points to make an informed decision for me.

I take delivery on my second Escape on 7/31. If I have problems, I will rely on ETI to solve them under warranty and will post the results whatever they may be. If I have no problems I will look for the category of “good experiences” and will be happy to report them there.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:22 PM   #82

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
As my mother used to say .... "It's like airplanes. You only hear about the ones that crash, not about the ones that land safely." (I think she was actually referring to teenagers at the time .... )

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:43 PM   #83

Trailer: 2006 Casita
We picked up new 19 ft on May. I feel ETI did a great job. We spent next 7 weeks exploring the northwest and back home to east There were a couple little things I took care of but overall very satisfied. While waiting for start of orientation the new manager of ETI stopped to visit with four of us. He was very friendly. We also spoke with Reese a bit. I would assume that they get more busy and focused at times.
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:44 PM   #84

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm not disagreeing. Was the trailer purchased and then not used? Otherwise, how would they not notice some of the things in Steve's list? But, I don't need to keep posting in this thread. I'll just read...
From what I was told , the original owner brought the trailer home from Chilliwack and used it once , then his wife got sick so,they sold it
The day we picked it up we did inspect the trailer

For example we checked / tested the 120VAC receptacles when we stopped for our first nights camping . All the receptacles checked out until we plugged an electric heater into the kitchen receptacle . The receptacle got hot so we unplugged the heater .
I took the receptacle apart and discovered the wires on the receptacle were not terminated properly.
Range hood light would work then suddenly start blinking , again a defective electrical connection
There was scrap plastic in the pump screen and in the faucet aerators
The furnace vent leaked , when I took it apart it was only caulked on one side
, the other side , top and bottom were not caulked
The screws holding the propane tank platform were broken off

How is anyone supposed to catch these kind of problems on a walk around inspection ?
Do you actually believe the previous owner put plastic debris in the water system or
removed the kitchen receptacle and loosened the wires or removed the furnace exhaust plate and removed part of the caulk or purposely snapped off the screw heads holding the propane platform in place ?
The only possible , logical reason for these issues is that they were defective when they left the factory. Bad / poor workmanship often doesn’t rear its ugly head until sometime down the road .

I’ll eventually get the problems fixed but every time we head out with our Escape in the back of my mind I’m thinking “ What going to go wrong or fail next “
On a trip last fall our furnace failed so I went and bought an electric heater
I plugged the heater into the kitchen recptacle and the receptacle got hot
I plugged the electric heater into a different receptacle and all seemed fine so we went to bed
In the morning we woke up to a cold trailer because the EMS was nuisance tripping and shut the electric heater off .
If I go on a long trip with my trailer , I want it to be dependable and so far that standard has not been met.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #85
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Do you actually believe the previous owner put plastic debris in the water system or
removed the kitchen receptacle and loosened the wires or removed the furnace exhaust plate and removed part of the caulk or purposely snapped off the screw heads holding the propane platform in place ?
Of course not. Just asking a question. For all I knew, the trailer had been used quite a bit in the five months the previous owner owned it. Just couldn't figure out how some of these things weren't caught then. There are owners that abuse everything thing they own and not just trailers.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:44 PM   #86

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
When I started reading this thread I thought I was reading Twitter! ....
Definitely not Twitter. Twitter has a 280 character limit. The OP's original post (3,000+ words spread across 40+ paragraphs) comes close to what professional writers would classify as a "short story." After reading through the original post twice, trying to sort out just what all happened and who, if anyone, might be at fault, plus reflecting back on our own personal experiences both purchasing our Escape 21' and 2+ years camping in it, my faith in ETI as a business and in their products remains firm.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:51 PM   #87

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
I am scheduled to pick up a 2019 19' in a few days.

I've decided to cancel my order tomorrow, due to the numerous defects mentioned in this forum:
-fridge not working
-leaking plumbing
-water pump requires adjusting with special size allen key. If this is a known issue ... can't the factory make this adjustment? Or at least provide an allen key with the manual.
-battery disconnect switch failing
-furnace not working
-problems with entry door
-plastic bits in water line filters
-surge protector tripping too often
-poor electrical connections (receptacles, lights)
-furnace vent leaking, not sealed properly
-etc

I guess that means I will not get my $2500.00 CDN deposit returned.
dsbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:01 AM   #88

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbc View Post

I've decided to cancel my order tomorrow, due to the numerous defects mentioned in this forum:

That's one way of dealing with a problem. It's your money.
But I would speak to ETI about your concerns to ensure you are satisfied with your trailer.
If you'd been a member of this forum for a few years, you'd have a read on some of the contributors to this thread.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:24 AM   #89

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Quote:

-fridge not working
-leaking plumbing
-water pump requires adjusting with special size allen key. If this is a known issue ... can't the factory make this adjustment? Or at least provide an allen key with the manual.
-furnace not working
-etc

That’s really unfortunate. We live on the island as well and have had, what I believe to be an overall good experience.
You may want to skip buying an RV altogether because these problems plague the industry as a whole. I really feel you could go to any RV dealership and find customers that are dissatisfied with the service/product they’ve received. We have had the window problem, but was take care under warranty.

I am by no means a cheerleader for ETI and feel that they are not above any other business as far as service goes. Although it does seem they go above and beyond for certain customers. I feel I got a decent product and am pretty happy with our 19. Ours is a late 2017 for what that’s worth. I also believe my trailer will still be around in 10 years and not in a landfill like most others will be.
My 2 cents.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:15 AM   #90

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

Sorry that you've come to the decision. That is unfortunate because I don't think that it represents the typical ownership experience. Our 2014 E19 went all over North America. Nothing ever broke or stopped working except the Dometic fridge was a PITA sometimes.

While I'm super critical of some technical aspects nothing that ETI did actually failed, I just thought that some things could have been done at a higher level.

I've owned boats and trailers all my life. I expect that when I pick up my new 21 in Sept. there's a chance something won't work or will need attention. But I'll still get the trailer because the short amount of time it takes to deal with any potential issue pales in comparison to the life time memories that you'll make with the trailer.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:22 AM   #91

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:

-fridge not working
-leaking plumbing
-furnace not working
-etc

This does not mean you are going to have these issues.

You are making a HUGE mistake ...

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:36 AM   #92

Trailer: 2014 Spirit Deluxe Casita; expecting 2017 21' Escape Ultra, Jan 5, 2017
I don’t post nor comment often, actually it’s almost never, but I feel the need to post on this thread. I cannot say that we have not had our share of challenges with our Escape, but I will say that Escape has always addressed our needs with professionalism and concern. I will always stand by the Escape name. What other manufacturer offers customer appreciation rallies? What other manufacturer goes out of their way to meet you where you are to address a recall item? What other manufacturer transports your trailer across the border for your convenience? Not even a car manufacturer does that. So it saddens me to hear that someone would go to the extreme of canceling their Escape order because of this forum. I, for one, will stand by the Escape Trailer. You may call me an Escape Lover if you want to do so, it will not offend me in any way. I love my Escape and would not hesitate to purchase another Escape.
Signed,
Dora, 2 1/2 year Escape Full-Timer
DoraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:04 AM   #93

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Ah the power of the internet and posts. I wonder how many trailers escape has sold? Your going to cancel an order over a couple of posts about a few trailers that had some issues? That’s really perplexing to me. The vast majority of posters here are very fond of their trailers including us. The only problem we had due to manufacturing issues was the drain pipe under the sink leaked and needed tightened. Did I have a controller failure of the hot water tank ? yep was it addressed ? Yep that was after a year . Vibration loosened one of the battery connector s I fixed it in 5 minutes. If you want perfect and hand holding. Perhaps you should buy an airstream for 100000? But systems fail in those also. The problem with the internet and (Twitter) is that it can magnify the issues and one thinks that all specimens are flawed beyond repair. Good luck finding perfect, especially at a reosonable price. I’ll bet your canceled trailer sells in three days.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:36 AM   #94

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Sometimes I think ETI does well in spite of themselves. It's still being run like a Mom & Pop who doesn't seem to feel a need to participate in providing "World Class Service" which most very successful companies fully understand just what comprises providing that. It's not one or two things, yet many and most importantly holding everyone accountable to achieve it.
Can you substantiate your claim that this "Mom & Pop doesn't seem to feel a need to participate in Providing "World Class Service"?

What do you mean by "World Class Service"? Is there a definition you could share?

Quote:
In my cellphone stores we were required to acknowledge customers coming in the door within 10 feet or 10 seconds and we did not charge $40K cad for an iPhone. Ignoring customers is one of the worst things any business can do.
What a hoot. The last time I was in a "cellphone store" the place was packed. The wait time was about 40 minutes. "10 feet or 10 seconds"? Please...
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:46 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
A few comments to your challenges with Escape as well as the forum. If a forum member makes you uncomfortable, you can block their replies. As to customer service, many companies have their own challenges. A well known auto company, Toyota, didn’t offer any assistance in my having a brake controller installed. When I brought the new car to the dealer, the service advisor explained that you can’t tow with a Highlander! (Despite a 5,000 pound tow rating!) I posted to the forum, and within a couple hours I had step by step advice for the installation. (the installer thanked me for the help) I think if you go through the challenges and overcome them step by step, you will overcome the obstacles. If not, possibly towing is not for you. Some people don’t enjoy dealing with the challenges of rv’ing, and for them traveling and staying at hotels with “room service “ is the route to go. For many of us, overcoming the challenges is part of the enjoyment. On my latest trip, the refrigerator acted up - I blew out the orifice and the problem was solved! Good luck and thanks for sharing with us on the forum.
Pretty funny. I had nearly the exact same experience with my 4 Runner. Actually when I was looking at the 4 Runner last December I asked salesman where the 7/4 pin connector was located. As you know it is recessed. He didn't have a clue. Had to go back into the showroom and ask someone. Another "Mom and Pop" organization I guess...
Old 07-17-2019, 06:09 AM   #96

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:

If you look through the forum for any brand of trailer you will find people frequently posting about the problems they have had. Many of those problems occur very rarely but when you read through a list of them it can sound daunting. You would be hard pressed to find anyone who's ever bought an RV of any type and didn't have at least a few little glitches that needed correcting, that's just the nature of RV'ing and anyone expecting perfection they will be disappointed.

I look at how well a manufacturer stands behind their product and works to resolve issues, and ETI seems to excel in this area. Certainly if you are distant from the factory it's not as simple having a major issue resolved but ETI has a long track record of paying to have warranty repairs done at local RV shops for distant customers. In your case since you are not that far from Chilliwack if anything major needed to be done you could take the trailer back to ETI.

If you look through the forum for any brand of trailer, RV, car, or truck you'll see a long list of problems that will curl your hair. But you have to be aware that most of those problems are uncommon - doesn't mean they can't happen to you, but with a quality product your odds are very high of having a good experience.

When researching a new truck purchase last year I followed the Ram boards and saw an appalling list of quirky problems. Then I looked at the Ford and Chevy boards and saw the same thing - every forum is full of the rare, quirky problems. I wound up buying a Ram and have had zero problems with it. Same thing with our 5.0TA, trouble free so far.

Our previous fifth wheel died from repeated roof leaks that rotted the framing, it was flimsily built and from what I've read the 15 years we got out of it were more than many people get. An Escape has "good bones" - the solid fiberglass shell will never wear out, and any component issues can always be repaired. It makes me sad to think of you missing out on an Escape and losing your deposit by canceling at the last minute, but at the end of the day you have to do what feels right to you.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:47 AM   #97

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:

-fridge not working
-leaking plumbing
-furnace not working
-etc

All of these above items can be checked at orientation and you can tell your salesperson to verify each and every one of these items. Your trailer will be perfect when you pick it up. Do not let 2 owners dissuade you, I can offset their 2 bad experiences with 4 new Escapes without any of these issues that I have purchased myself. Try it out and if still unsatisfied you can always sell it within days without losing your $2500.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:57 AM   #98

This is a helpful suggestion.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:11 AM   #99

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
If you look through the forum for any brand of trailer you will find people frequently posting about the problems they have had. Many of those problems occur very rarely but when you read through a list of them it can sound daunting. You would be hard pressed to find anyone who's ever bought an RV of any type and didn't have at least a few little glitches that needed correcting, that's just the nature of RV'ing and anyone expecting perfection they will be disappointed.

My outlook is that RV's are tiny little toy homes, that travel down the road, bouncing, flexing and vibrating the entire time. The homes we normally live in do not bounce, flex, or vibrate, unless you live in California.

How can one expect perfection when these little toy homes bounce, flex, and vibrate? I never have. If one can't handle this reality, perhaps RV life is not for them. Join RV Horror Stories on Facebook and read about some real problems!

The first 90 days of camping will show what was not manufactured properly or installed correctly. Did we have problems? Yes, but having owned 14 previous campers knew there was a break-in period when those items show up. I'm not perfect and neither is Escape.

In my list of problems I forgot to include the constantly running water pump. That started in about week 7. This was not Escape's problem, but happens in all RV's including Airstream. We've owned an Airstream and belong to AirForums. Escape problems are minor compared to those on AirForum, our experience with our 16' Bambi, and our friend's current experience with their 23' Airstream. Double to triple the money does not guarantee success.

If you're going to own any RV, expect problems at some time, and be ready to figure out how to get it repaired quickly. Be proactive as much as possible. For example, we carry a cooler and have refreezable ice blocks in the freezer just in case our fridge craps out. It's not if the fridge craps out, but when. We also carry a set of tools for any needed repairs and the valuable multi-meter.

We try to be ready to camp, and our 5.0TA is exactly what we expected, and we love it!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-17-2019, 07:27 AM   #100

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Well, something doesn't pass the smell test here. DSBC claims he's cancelling the order he says he was expecting to pick up, "in a few days" just because of Steve's post? um---Right.

Tags
buying, escape 21, issues, problems, purchase