Our 21' Escape Trailer purchase issues - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2019, 07:42 AM   #101

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
That's one way of dealing with a problem. It's your money.
But I would speak to ETI about your concerns to ensure you are satisfied with your trailer.
If you'd been a member of this forum for a few years, you'd have a read on some of the contributors to this thread.
Here is a picture of our screen door LOOK AT THE MARGIN
By the time you get to the center of the doot there is a gap between the door and the frame which allows bugs to enter . I had to shim the latch / strike plate out 1/4” to get the screen door to latch and hold
The black stripe on the left is the weather stripping
.The opening for the door was cut wrong and the door forced to fit the opening
How is this the fault of the trailer owner ?
Attached Thumbnails
8D07F19F-32A3-4A29-B454-CBFB5E89BAA0.jpg  
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:48 AM   #102

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Challenges

Our lives are full of challenges. I fix things every day and have had a life of maintenance and repair from the time I started fixing truck tires at 14 years old. I’ve been beaten by repair challenges but I have never backed away from a fight or course of action in anticipation of a challenge down the road and I’m not about to start. I gotta fix my emergency brake cable on the 21 because I let it drag on the paving. Probably not my fault but with three or four hundred ferrules, a thousand feet of 7/32 cable and a swager out in my shop, I’ll probably get the job done. Have a good day and fix something yourself and save some money. Pretty soon you’ll have enough for a six.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #103

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Here is a picture of our screen door LOOK AT THE MARGIN
By the time you get to the center of the doot there is a gap between the door and the frame which allows bugs to enter . I had to shim the latch / strike plate out 1/4” to get the screen door to latch and hold
The black stripe on the left is the weather stripping
.The opening for the door was cut wrong and the door forced to fit the opening
How is this the fault of the trailer owner ?

And you didn't see this on inspection? What else did you miss?

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-17-2019, 08:15 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
And you didn't see this on inspection? What else did you miss?

Enjoy,

Perry
YES ; I missed this when I first looked at the trailer
So if Escape does something wrong and I don’t catch it immediately then I am at fault ?
That logic just doesn’t fly with me .
Initial quality control is Escape’s responsibility IMHO
Expecting every customer to know how everything should be properly assembled or how every mechanical system should be installed is ridiculous

I am done with this thread , I stated the issues I found with my Escape and if you want me to take responsibility for Escape’s lack of quality control then so be it .
Old 07-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #105

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
And you didn't see this on inspection? What else did you miss? Enjoy, Perry
I'd cut him some slack. When we went through orientation in May the experience of seeing our trailer for the first time was a bit overwhelming. All of the dazzle and shiny fiberglass and the 'new car' smell when we entered the interior. Wow. It was a lot to take in. I might have noticed if the ceiling had caved in or the refrigerator was missing but otherwise....

That said Escape ought to have - if they don't already a Czar Quality Control person who is charged solely with inspecting each trailer at various stages in the production cycle. This person(s) should have the authority to stop production until a problem is resolved. As well one person ought to be charged with a final check list inspection well in advance of the customer taking possession of the trailer.

Sure. Maybe these things already are occurring but it appears that there may be a need to standardize the process. It is not easy to develop a culture where inspectors have the final say over the builders.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:50 AM   #106

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I am done with this thread , I stated the issues I found with my Escape and if you want me to take responsibility for Escape’s lack of quality control then so be it .
No man, don’t bow out. I’m happy with my unit, but these threads need some balance. I really believe that they are a decent company. I think they could handle things differently sometimes, and other times seem like they go above and beyond for others.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:12 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
No man, don’t bow out. I’m happy with my unit, but these threads need some balance. I really believe that they are a decent company. I think they could handle things differently sometimes, and other times seem like they go above and beyond for others.
No , I’ve been BAGLOWED enough for one day !
By the way the estimated cost to repair and straighten out the door so it closes properly is in an excess of $1000 US . Hardly a small , trivial repair
Old 07-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #108

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I'm with you, Steve, but.....I rarely to never use the screen door in my 2013 because first, I think it could not have been made as a cheaper piece of annoying trouble. Second, we avoid camping with the main door open. Third, -- can't think of a third reason. Fourth, I admit to being very ham-handed.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #109

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
I'd cut him some slack. When we went through orientation in May the experience of seeing our trailer for the first time was a bit overwhelming. All of the dazzle and shiny fiberglass and the 'new car' smell when we entered the interior. Wow. It was a lot to take in. I might have noticed if the ceiling had caved in or the refrigerator was missing but otherwise....

That said Escape ought to have - if they don't already a Czar Quality Control person who is charged solely with inspecting each trailer at various stages in the production cycle. This person(s) should have the authority to stop production until a problem is resolved. As well one person ought to be charged with a final check list inspection well in advance of the customer taking possession of the trailer.

Sure. Maybe these things already are occurring but it appears that there may be a need to standardize the process. It is not easy to develop a culture where inspectors have the final say over the builders.
Just as davemurphy had already inspected mine when he picked up his new 5.0, I too inspected yours before your arrival and gave it the final approval....
Old 07-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #110

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
When I buy?

This being our third Escape since 2010 I didn't think I needed to spend time looking it over, but I did. We spent two nights close by and looked at everything as we tried to find hiding places for all of our stuff. We headed south the next morning and have kept using the trailer for over a year now and I have not worked on it at all.
That's saying a lot for a aircraft mechanic and car builder.
Azjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #111

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just as davemurphy had already inspected mine when he picked up his new 5.0, I too inspected yours before your arrival and gave it the final approval....
"The czar".
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #112

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
D@mn, I thought camping was all about fun. You guys are depressing me. A whole lot a complainin' goin' on...
Old 07-17-2019, 10:39 AM   #113

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Some good points brought up here, wish ETI and new owners would pay attention.

I've often thought about warning new owners about the repair and normal maintenance work that comes with a trailer. Either you do it yourself or deal with the hassle and cost of getting someone else to do it.

I've had my share of small issues but it's nothing compared to my Starcraft.

I never took the Starcraft to the dealer, too far away. To me it was worth just doing everything myself. They did ship me parts now and then. The Escape is pretty much the same, just to a much lesser degree. I expected what I got, or is it I got what I expected.

Pushing for better quality control is good. Something we US Escape buyers can't do as opposed to buying from a dealer, is go over a new trailer in detail before you sign on the dotted line. If you get it delivered you get no chance, and from what I hear those picking up have to deal with ETI needing to deliver it over the border so you get little or no time to go through exhaustive check lists on your pickup day.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #114

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Can you substantiate your claim that this "Mom & Pop doesn't seem to feel a need to participate in Providing "World Class Service"?

What do you mean by "World Class Service"? Is there a definition you could share?

What a hoot. The last time I was in a "cellphone store" the place was packed. The wait time was about 40 minutes. "10 feet or 10 seconds"? Please...
-If you have read this forum over the last five years during ETI's growth spurt it is obvious that there is at best an inconsistent approach to resolving issues. Prior to that the production rate allowed the husband & wife owners to pretty much be in charge of everything yet they got to the point where it was obviously beyond their ability to keep the lid on as it were and brought in a private equity partner that brought in a new president and are currently trying to get a handle on the consequences of their unprecedented growth. These are facts.

- World class service is defined as vastly exceeding customers' expectations and building brand loyalty as a result.

- I should have said give a genuine acknowledgement and welcome within those parameters- not necessarily begin helping you. It is important for people to not think they are invisible. Also ask if they have a quick question which many times is the case. That is what we did in my mom & pop stores; not sure if your experience is in a Company Owned Retail (COR); I can tell you we always outperformed them in Mystery Shops.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #115

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I'm with you, Steve, but.....I rarely to never use the screen door in my 2013 because first, I think it could not have been made as a cheaper piece of annoying trouble.
Myron, old buddy, I actually have to disagree with you. We love the roll-up screen door. M. hates bugs and likes the screen door closed. We go in and out, the screen door whips open and closed, it's great. We have the same door on our sundeck. Love it. Not really looking forward to the new type door on the upcoming 21.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
This being our third Escape since 2010 I didn't think I needed to spend time looking it over, but I did. We spent two nights close by and looked at everything as we tried to find hiding places for all of our stuff. We headed south the next morning and have kept using the trailer for over a year now and I have not worked on it at all.
That's saying a lot for a aircraft mechanic and car builder.
Azjack
In our case, for the coming 21, a 90 minute drive from ETI, no orientation, just pick up the trailer and go. If I find a problem and it's some routine minor thing I"ll deal with it. I'm really not expecting a problem that ETI will have to deal with.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #116

Trailer: 2015 19 ft Escape
I've posted on this previously, but as a reminder for all the mud slinging toward Steve, my electrical system blew up on on my 2015 19 ft this past spring.
I had pulled into south Georgia on a 90 degree day at 5:00 and would have been a flipping sitting duck, if there hasn't been an RV service business next door.
The poor electrician had to take the bed off, climb into the cavity below, and straddle himself between the slats to remove the receptacle that connects to the 30 amp service. The exterior plug would not unscrew and they were disgusted with how difficult It was to access.
3 different workmen, and finally the supervisor, were troubleshooting this problem for over two hrs that resulted in a $300.00 repair.
Thank God they were willing to work overtime, so I wouldn't be sweltering in the Georgia heat all nite.
It was a crappy receptacle and a crappy connection. Subpar workmanship and parts. The plastic had burn marks from arcing "badly".
Does it give me a renewed respect for my 2014 Casita, which is routinely bashed here? Yes it does.
Does it shake my faith and trust in how an Escape trailer is built? Yes, it does. Am I still glad I purchased this Escape? Yes, I needed the extra room for cross country traveling and only wanted fiberglass.
My point is I thought Escape could do no wrong, after reading this forum for months...it was a brutal wake up call and customers just need to be aware.
And I was supposed to inspect the electrical system before buying from the previous owner last fall? Some of these comments are disgusting.
I agree abt the Escape screen door...my Casita screen is much more sturdy and functional, though I understand Escape has upgraded this item.
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #117

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimli View Post
I've posted on this previously, but as a reminder for all the mud slinging toward Steve, my electrical system blew up on on my 2015 19 ft this past spring.
I had pulled into south Georgia on a 90 degree day at 5:00 and would have been a flipping sitting duck, if there hasn't been an RV service business next door.
The poor electrician had to take the bed off, climb into the cavity below, and straddle himself between the slats to remove the receptacle that connects to the 30 amp service. The exterior plug would not unscrew and they were disgusted with how difficult It was to access.
3 different workmen, and finally the supervisor, were troubleshooting this problem for over two hrs that resulted in a $300.00 repair.
Thank God they were willing to work overtime, so I wouldn't be sweltering in the Georgia heat all nite.
It was a crappy receptacle and a crappy connection. Subpar workmanship and parts. The plastic had burn marks from arcing "badly".
Does it give me a renewed respect for my 2014 Casita, which is routinely bashed here? Yes it does.
Does it shake my faith and trust in how an Escape trailer is built? Yes, it does. Am I still glad I purchased this Escape? Yes, I needed the extra room for cross country traveling and only wanted fiberglass.
My point is I thought Escape could do no wrong, after reading this forum for months...it was a brutal wake up call and customers just need to be aware.
And I was supposed to inspect the electrical system before buying from the previous owner last fall? Some of these comments are disgusting.
I agree abt the Escape screen door...my Casita screen is much more sturdy and functional, though I understand Escape has upgraded this item.
So Escape installed a 3rd party 30 amp rv plug that became defective? This is the trailer's manufacturers fault or the manufacturer of the rv plug or the owner's fault? I'm confused, There must be 2 dozen packets that come with your trailer for each 3 rd party item Escape installs in your unit. Who is at fault if one of those items is defective? Was it installed incorrect?
Old 07-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #118

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Copy that, Ron. Being a certified ham-handed person I do tend to have disagreements with screen doors. As Voltaire, or maybe Descartes once said, we think, therefore we rant.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #119

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So Escape installed a 3rd party 30 amp rv plug that became defective? This is the trailer's manufacturers fault or the manufacturer of the rv plug or the owner's fault? I'm confused, There must be 2 dozen packets that come with your trailer for each 3 rd party item Escape installs in your unit. Who is at fault if one of those items is defective? Was it installed incorrect?
"It was a crappy receptacle and a crappy connection. Subpar workmanship and parts. The plastic had burn marks from arcing "badly".

Maybe if the connection was done properly there would not have been the arcing. Perhaps it is more about the installation rather than the part itself.
There have been numerous reports of shoddy electrical work by many different folks, especially electricians who are probably the worst (rightly so) critics.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #120

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
As with anything, people buy things all the time that they are completely satisfied with but they don't "gush" about how much they love it to everyone. Our car/truck of choice is Toyota but I don't get on forums and extol the virtues of owning a Toyota; however, let there be a recall, and I'm the first one searching out who has had a problem and 'could it be me'. This is our second Escape and, yes, we've had a few issues, but Escape has responded admirably, sending us new parts if required (e.g., our bathroom faucet), patiently explaining how something works, etc. Plus, what other company, when you're a week away from a two week camping trip that your grandsons have been looking forward to for months and discover that an errant rock (weed whacking) has shattered your large window, would bend over backwards to express ship a replacement window to you so your trip could go on as planned?

I'm truly sorry 'dsbc' has chosen to cancel his order; however, that's an individual decision and he/she is obviously comfortable with that decision. I do think, however, that anyone nervous about spending that amount of money on a trailer may, subconsciously, look for reasons not to part with that money and reading about problems, especially repeated problems, doesn't help. And Steve and others who have 'lemons' are certainly justified in their outrage. Unfortunately, it happens -- ask the Tesla owners whose cars are now nothing but charred metal. That said, I do think that these dissatisfied owners (or would be owners) should be proactively talking to ETI about these issues so that they (ETI) can take appropriate action and, perhaps, 'beef up' their QC. A QC "czar" isn't a bad idea ....

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, escape 21, issues, problems, purchase