Our 21' Escape Trailer purchase issues - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #261

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
Escape purchase

We picked up ours last july after driving out from maine.......we stayed 3 nights at a beautiful chiliwack campground to test everything out before leaving the area for just those reasons u stated. We had no camper issues coming home and charted out a 9 day trip out and took 17 days coming home. We did have a surge protector issue this spring and had to replace it, but otherwise have had no issues.....we also did a lot of research online and in this forum to ask our questions of owners and went to look at one about 4 hours from us......your best help will be this forum and other owners.......sorry your start was miserable
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #262

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If it were me, I would attempt to make contact in either another way or with a repeat email. I would do this for my personal satisfaction and to insure that if I had a trailer with recall issues I would not find myself personally partially liable should a negative experience occur in the future. That’s just me. With the myriad of communication methods available up to and including “registered mail return receipt requested” or “walking in the front door” there must certainly be a way to learn your trailer’s status regarding previous adjustments, reinforcements, or repairs. I’d sleep better. YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 07-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #263

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy View Post
I bought a used Escape. I emailed Escape to ask if all of the recalls were satisfied. Had a couple other questions. Never so much as an acknowledgment of my email. I don’t recommend Escape to anyone who asks.
I've emailed a couple of times but it did take two to get a question answered at one point. Not a problem- things do get lost, depends on the questions. I'm thrilled that they are responsive to the owner of a trailer that is two owners removed from their sales floor and which is no longer produced. (I'm the third.) They were also incredibly helpful when I met the previous owners at Escape (they were there to pick up the new trailer) to pick up mine and had to change the hitch setup on the spot, including loosening a stuck ball for me and providing tools. And I was not buying the trailer from Escape. Tammy also took down my information so they would have an up to date record on the ownership of that trailer. Can't beat that.

I agree, getting recall information is important, but I think if an email isn't answered, a phone call is the next step. Emails don't even always make it through cyberspace.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:06 PM   #264

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Boy, talk about perfect timing. To be able to use your Escape up to driving to the factory to pick up up your new Escape and transfer ownership to a new owner at the factory.I always had to sell mine and order a new one and go without camping for months at a time and drive out trailer less for pick up. Kudos to both the seller and new owner.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #265

Trailer: none
Our experience

I write not to contradict or question the OP's experiences but to add to the discussion with the experience we had with Escape and Reace with the 2008 2nd hand 5.0 Classic trailer we picked up at the Escape factory in 2013. I don't know or pretend to know if this is still the way Escape operates. We had previously owned 2 Scamp trailers, learning along the way what we liked and didn't like. We chose Escape because of the basic features of the trailer that are different from most other fiberglass rigs. We did follow the forum for some time gathering info and opinions and had the advantage of some limited experience with our Scamps.
In 2013 we drove to Chilliwack to pick up a 2008 5.0 Classic trailer that had been traded in by the original owners for a new 5.0. They lived nearby and had brought the trailer back to Escape regularly for maintenance and enhancements. So the sale was handled though Escape. During the purchase process we had good experiences with Tammy who helped us navigate the US/Canada issues. We also purchased several add-ons to the trailer, including solar power...note this was fairly early in the solar power option. When we picked it up we got an orientation but it really takes living with the trailer to get fully oriented. During the walkthrough they decided that the tube for our sewage hose was not in a good spot and removed the old and replaced it while we waited.

On our maiden voyage back home to NM we had issues with the fridge and communicated with Reace several times. He had suggestions but the ultimate issue was the extreme heat and not really having enough time for the fridge to get cooled down before we headed out again. We chose NOT to run the fridge on propane while driving. So it was mostly a user education issue in learning the limitations of RV fridges. (Our Scamp fridges also had issues but were smaller units that we didn't use much.) We think there are inherent limitations to the efficacy of RV fridges nd always travel with a cooler and freezer packs to recharge while the fridge is running....YMMV

What really impressed us about Escape was what occurred in 2015....2 years after having purchased this used trailer. After driving through a severe thunderstorm n CO we stopped for gas to discover our solar panel had blown off. Left somewhere on the plains outside Trinidad, CO. The epoxy glue held but it tore off a few layers of fiberglass and went sailing away.
We called Escape and spoke to Reace who was extremely upset. He had us send him pictures of the roof and asked where we were to see if we could come by to have the repair done...but of course we were way far away. So he arranged to have a new panel sent to us to be re-installed and also sent material to repair the fiberglasss. But what happened next is the clincher...since ours was the 2nd time someone had had this problem (another in a similar extreme windy situation)...he decided that the system securing the panels was not good enough and changed the procedures going forward. Then he sent a retrofit system to everyone else who had a solar panel to add the additional security to prevent further issues with the older installs.
So, no our trailer is not perfect and perhaps some things could/should be done better. Every company has room for jmprovement but our experience has been that they stand behind their product and want to do the right thing...that's not a small thing these days.
Now perhaps, the transition and new ownership has allowed some things to slide or the OP just experienced a perfect storm...not an excuse but an opportunity to improve.
We have continued to use our Escape 5.0 and have not had other issues. Given that this is a house on wheels subject to all manner of abuse, that is a testimony to the basic quality that caused us to purchase it.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #266

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wow, the missing solar panel that blew off and the beginning of the bolt on process. Several loose ends tied together. But the one thing that sticks out, Escape was taking trades on new trailers at one time....interesting.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #267

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300
Angry Issues

When we bought our Trillium in 2008, I looked at the fridge, thought, "It runs off 12VDC, 115VAC, or propane. What can wrong?" Plenty I decided and so we ordered without it. We did have tenting experience and are happy using coolers or food that doesn't need refrigeration.

I recall a story in the 1950's about a guy who bought a top of the line Chrysler which wouldn't build up oil pressure.

After tongue wrestling with the dealer the factory rep finally told them to tear the engine down. They found that the plugs in the crankshaft to seal the oil passages weren't installed. This in a company as big as Chrysler.
So what can one expect from a little company like ETI?

I was surprised to learn that ETI changed ownership. This is always a bad sign, as the original founders are the ones who made the company famous. Subsequent owners usually only want money.
I hope you got/get all your issues solved because fg trailers are the way to go.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #268

Trailer: none
Wow, the missing solar panel that blew off and the beginning of the bolt on process. Several loose ends tied together. But the one thing that sticks out, Escape was taking trades on new trailers at one time....interesting.

Not really a trade-in. Escape posted the old trailer as for sale for the original owners. The original owners were buying a new Escape 5.0. So they were separate transactions. We paid the original owners for the trailer, Escape just facilitated the process.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:59 PM   #269

Trailer: Looking
Well as you can see I'm new here. I've been following the forum for awhile because an Escape is on my short list. Being an Engineer by trade, I understand why quality issues pop up, and I also know from experience how many issues could be solved with just a little QC.

The troubling thing for me as a potential customer is not the quality issues (which I expect), but rather the reported attitude of the manufacturer. I'll reserve judgment because I wasn't there, but if I find through further research that there's any validity to the charge, that certainly would be a deal breaker.

Anyways I hope the OP finally gets resolution, I believe he has a nice unit that most would be proud to own. I've recently looked at an Oliver from head to toe and there are a couple more I need to see including an Escape. I'll purchase the best built unit and from who I perceive as being the type of folks I'd like to do business with.

Happy Trails
RodgerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:17 PM   #270

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
I’d be interested in finding out what you go with and why. Hope you report back.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #271

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You need to read all the threads from 2008, not just focus on one or two posts. You will, as an engineer, be able to detect a pattern and identify certain members who's glasses are always 1/4 full.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #272

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I bought a used Escape. I emailed Escape to ask if all of the recalls were satisfied. Had a couple other questions. Never so much as an acknowledgment of my email. I don’t recommend Escape to anyone who asks.
As others mentioned I would do a follow up email. Almost all emails I have sent were responded to in short order. There were a couple the drug out for quite some time, but a quick call got everything settled.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #273

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You need to read all the threads from 2008, not just focus on one or two posts. You will, as an engineer, be able to detect a pattern and identify certain members who's glasses are always 1/4 full.
That would be me!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #274

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Quote:
My experience with several molded FG companies is they don't answer emails. In fact, Escape is the only one that has answered any of my email requests.

I find a telephone call works much better.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:59 PM   #275

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Give me a break and take off your ETI goggles. I joined in 2013 and there are many that have had problems and reported here. The real problem is when a few people like you then each and every time begin the process of in effect blaming the victim.

What that does is to deter some, if not many to report their problems or voice their honest opinions or experiences because they see what they can expect.

From my own experience I would not hesitate to buy a new Escape Trailer. What I would do is insist that my inspector would go over that trailer a week or two before pick up. You do that for a house inspection so why not when you are spending significant $$$ for a product where it is a factory direct business model.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:21 PM   #276

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
You need to read all the threads from 2008, not just focus on one or two posts.
Really good advice (not!). By the time you are done reading and working through the contrary opinions you will be well enough versed to consider buying a 2027 Escape 29 from Forest River.

FMLNM, good to see a post from you. Hope all is well.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:45 PM   #277

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
So Tappy you wouldn't recommend buying an Escape trailer simply because they never answered your emails? How long now have you been waiting, I wonder? Long enough to use your trailer and assess it's value I guess, and now your plan is to sell it? Just curious.

I send people emails and they never respond, and then when I call them on it they tell me they never got it. I get real touchy when that happens to me. Especially when it's family.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:01 PM   #278

Trailer: 2018 19'
You might try emailing: parts and service@escapetrailer.com. Dave & crew are very responsive.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:12 PM   #279

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
You might try emailing: parts and service@escapetrailer.com. Dave & crew are very responsive.

Yup. A lot of people seem to think that ETI owns and reads this forum. They don't own it and may read it occasionally, but they'd have no time to build trailers if they read every post. I doubt they receive PMs from this forum either.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:29 PM   #280

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
2019 Escape 19

Picked up an Escape 19 today ... Extremely happy with this unit!

Big thanks to everyone at Escape Industries!
Attached Thumbnails
F5F22DFC-5045-4AFB-BDBC-A0B5BCD95178.jpg  
dsbc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, escape 21, issues, problems, purchase