Sell me and others on a fiver - 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2018, 12:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Sell me and others on a fiver - 5.0TA

Keeping this generic so as to be useful to others asking the same question -- what the heck is so good about a fiver?

Entering my 4th season with a 21' TT, my mind is slowly turning over the notion of just how green the grass is on the other side with the 5.0TA. In several conversations fireside, the idea seems to be that fifth wheels are 'the gold standard'.

My pro's
. Better towing in wind conditions as the shape cuts front wind
. Slightly more interior storage
. Higher ceiling
. Weight over axle makes truck feel more planted, increases towing comfort
. Shorter overall rig length
. Full queen bed with some room at sides
. Bed out of view while retaining rear dinette layout.

My con's
. Higher price
. Perhaps some very rough roads (forestry) would cause contact between truck bed and trailer
. Truck bed is open to some cargo, but also thieving eyes
. Wind might pick up light cargo from open bed
. Smaller bathroom
. Climb up into bed versus flop into. Say a sore knee that won't do stairs
. Wider backing radius might limit camping spot selection in older parks
. No ETI front storage box like on my 21
. It's been 365 days since I last teased Reace about a 25' model

My own thoughts would be to customize the dedicated tow by removing the factory tailgate with netting type tailgate, and potentially going with a permanent hitch like some here have done. Also perhaps a low rider tool box in the front of the truck bed for jerry cans, tool box etc.

Looking forward to the conversation from the experts here. If you bought one, why over a TT? I didn't see a prior thread of this topic.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Nothing is better than any other. And none are the best... no matter the brand or build type. Deciding on a particular 'model' or brand, it's always about the buyer. What is better for you and what's best for you? We've seen 2-foot itis to going to the dark side.. to buyers making multiple buys. It truly is about you, your camping style, layout, tug limitations and budget.

All I knew, is once Reace posted the first Photoshop picture of the to-be-built 5.0TA and a layout drawn on a 'cocktail' napkin... I absolutely knew THAT was the one for me. And I've had zero regrets since then... okay, two regrets. It's too tall to park under my carport and it didn't come with a Cabana boy.

Love the one you're with!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i bought it because it tows beautifully and its easier to hook up. Also lots of interior room but less length. Draw back for me is climbing out of the bed, I do miss the front storage box but the 5.0 has a lot of outdoor storage -still working on organizing it all. Also draw back for me was i needed a truck. I don't have anymore issue backing up then i did with the bumper pull but i have backed goose neck trailers before. i am very glad to give up the weight distribution hitch that i used for my bumper pull. And did i say its a dream to tow.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:23 PM   #4

oh yea I'm still looking for my cabana boy that was promised!!
Old 05-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Interesting topic!
Question: I always wonder about the awning size on a 5.0TA. Is it shorter, lengthwise, then on the trailers or not?
Old 05-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We went through many of the pros and cons you have listed and decided on a 5th wheel. We bought a small stick and tin 5'ver in 1999 and had many wonderful years traveling extensively in it. The ease and stability of towing and smaller overall length for fitting into small campsites were the biggest factors for us and we have been very happy with our choice. It was 23', a bit longer than the 5.0TA, with a very similar floor plan. That rig eventually became unfit for the road due to repeated roof leaks over the years, a common "sticky" fate.

We had been looking futilely in recent years for another small 5'ver. The sticky companies stopped building them years ago, having focused on more profitable big rigs. When we discovered Escape and the 5.0TA a few months ago it was like we heard the angels singing....exactly the kind of small, high quality 5th wheel we had been dreaming of. Now we are in the process of planning for a 2019 5.0TA and a new tow vehicle...our 1998 Ram is a little long in the tooth for the kind of future adventures we have in mind. We put a bed rail height tool box in the front of the 6-1/2' bed for storage and that worked great, will probably do the same on our new truck.

There's no one right answer, that's why there are many types of rigs. Looks like you are giving it lots of thought and seem to have identified most of the factors, if you rank the pros and cons in order of importance to you one choice will probably emerge over the other. It sure looks like you can't go wrong with any Escape, we are eagerly anticipating the day when we drive from Texas to Chilliwack to pick up a shiny new 5.0TA. First we'll have to choose a fabric - down to the top 100 picks or so right now, looks like this may take a while ;o)
Attached Thumbnails
St Mary hillside campsite.jpg  
Old 05-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #7

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
We started out looking at a 5.0TA, but don't think it's for us. Some of it is setting up the pickup for a 5th wheel. On the other hand, I have never used a weight distribution hitch. We're looking at the 21 now.

We're "dragging" our Parkliner down to Huntington Beach State Park (SC) next week, leaving this Saturday morning. Can't wait!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The hitch set up is what turned me off after ordering a new 5.0 in 2016. In addition, both yours and my Ram may have cargo capacity issues with the pin weight. Since I also wanted the lightweight Andersen 5th wheel hitch and did not want to risk having a hitch issue 3,000 miles from home, I switched my order to the 19, a known commodity. With a tonneau cover I was able to bring every thing needed for the new trailer in my truck bed, something that was not possible with the 5.0. Of course with you being so close this reason is moot.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
The hitching had me give the 21 a hard look, but ultimately the floor plan of the 5.0 won out. With the truck bed covers that flip/fold allowing for a little covered storage even while towing the 5th wheel and the large exterior storage in the 5.0 we felt it was more suited to our style than the 21. If the hitching/backing/bed storage is a nightmare I will figure that out before the propane is empty. That allows for free model switcheroos right?
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We bought the 5.0TA over the 21 for the full queen size bed, the separate bedroom is a good side benny for us as our sleeping patterns are very different, but the bed size is why I bought it. The only con I cared about was loosing the capped truck bed.

Have since gone to a trifold tonneau cover which works fine for hiding stuff and keeping it pretty much dry. Roof racks on the truck made it so I can take the canoe with me. Used to be able to carry the bikes inside the cap, now they are covered on the trailers bike rack.

Like Donna when we signed up for the 5.0TA there were no specs, I thought it came with the bigger bath like the 21, I was kind of bummed to find it was the bath from the 19. Didn't take long to get used to it.

As far as I'm concerned there is no prefect RV out there, at least not yet. They all have trade offs.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:24 PM   #11

hitching is much easier with the 5.0 for me then a bumper pull. But i didn't mind hitching the bumper pull that much i loved my 17B and would have been happy with any of the trailers they all have their plus/minus.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
The hitching had me give the 21 a hard look, but ultimately the floor plan of the 5.0 won out. With the truck bed covers that flip/fold allowing for a little covered storage even while towing the 5th wheel and the large exterior storage in the 5.0 we felt it was more suited to our style than the 21. If the hitching/backing/bed storage is a nightmare I will figure that out before the propane is empty. That allows for free model switcheroos right?
works for me.........
Old 05-08-2018, 06:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Keeping this generic so as to be useful to others asking the same question -- what the heck is so good about a fiver?

Entering my 4th season with a 21' TT, my mind is slowly turning over the notion of just how green the grass is on the other side with the 5.0TA. In several conversations fireside, the idea seems to be that fifth wheels are 'the gold standard'.

My pro's
. Better towing in wind conditions as the shape cuts front wind
. Slightly more interior storage
. Higher ceiling
. Weight over axle makes truck feel more planted, increases towing comfort
. Shorter overall rig length
. Full queen bed with some room at sides
. Bed out of view while retaining rear dinette layout. For us, this is by far the biggest reason to go for the 5.0TA, as we very much prefer this layout.
. BECAUSE YOU WANT A 5.0TA

My con's
. Higher price
. Perhaps some very rough roads (forestry) would cause contact between truck bed and trailer
. Truck bed is open to some cargo, but also thieving eyes- This is probably the single biggest downfall of the 5.0TA over any bumper pull. The hitch takes up a lot of the bed space, and has to be open when towing.
. Wind might pick up light cargo from open bed
. Smaller bathroom
. Climb up into bed versus flop into. Say a sore knee that won't do stairs
. Wider backing radius might limit camping spot selection in older parks- Actually, the turning radius is shorter due to the pivot inside the box. Took a bit of time to get used to.
. No ETI front storage box like on my 21- There is the front storage hatch, but nowhere near as big.
. It's been 365 days since I last teased Reace about a 25' model
. The 21 feels a bit more roomy due to bathroom location

My own thoughts would be to customize the dedicated tow by removing the factory tailgate with netting type tailgate, and potentially going with a permanent hitch like some here have done. Also perhaps a low rider tool box in the front of the truck bed for jerry cans, tool box etc.

Looking forward to the conversation from the experts here. If you bought one, why over a TT? I didn't see a prior thread of this topic.
As I have always maintained, there is no wrong choice for an Escape trailer. They all will do the job, just that we all have different wants and needs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Interesting topic!
Question: I always wonder about the awning size on a 5.0TA. Is it shorter, lengthwise, then on the trailers or not?
The ETI website lists the 5.0 awning as 12’ which is the same as the 21. It also lists 12’ for the 19, but that just doesn’t seem right when you look at the pictures vs the 21. The 17 lists a 10’ awning.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I'll keep it short: 5th wheels have a towing advantage, however that really pertains to stickies does it not? I mean have you had any issues towing a 21?

My buddy with. 5.0TA noticed I have more storage; he thought more counter space as well, however he has an oven and we don't. Couple that with the front storage box which is awesome- that to me is a big 21 advantage- especially for pack rats who ditched Mission Control with a full-size.

The bed: um, we couldn't sleep well together even in a real queen never mind an RV queen so we have a quick bunk at the rear dinette(Springfield)with a latex topper we fold over onto the back u-dinette bench and we both sleep great.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I'll keep it short: 5th wheels have a towing advantage, however that really pertains to stickies does it not? I mean have you had any issues towing a 21?

My buddy with. 5.0TA noticed I have more storage; he thought more counter space as well, however he has an oven and we don't. Couple that with the front storage box which is awesome- that to me is a big 21 advantage- especially for pack rats who ditched Mission Control with a full-size.

The bed: um, we couldn't sleep well together even in a real queen never mind an RV queen so we have a quick bunk at the rear dinette(Springfield)with a latex topper we fold over onto the back u-dinette bench and we both sleep great.
The 5.0 has a real queen, pretty comfy too[emoji41]
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:29 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Sorry, didn't mean to compare you to a 19

So some trade from a 21 to a 19 to a 5.0(and many other combos). Keeps the economy moving
Old 05-08-2018, 10:54 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
5th wheels have a towing advantage, however that really pertains to stickies does it not? I mean have you had any issues towing a 21?
While Escapes in general tow well, lots of members of this forum insist that the trailer (of any model other than the 5.0/5.0TA) is more stable and tows more smoothly with a weight-distribution system and/or sway control device. Although these devices are not available for fifth-wheels (although they're technically possible), I haven't noticed anyone saying that they would want one if they could get one. Having the coupling point close to the tow vehicle's rear axle (or even better ahead of it) really does help.

I don't think the type of trailer body construction matters at all; however, almost all fifth-wheel "stickies" are much bigger than a 5.0TA, just as the size range of conventionally (non-fifth-wheel) "stickies" is much broader - and especially on the larger end - than the size range of Escapes (or even of moulded fiberglass travel trailers in general). Stability of a 30-foot 10,000 pound trailer is challenging, regardless of the construction, and so up at that size the benefit of a fifth-wheel configuration is especially noticeable.

While Jim (cpaharley2008) didn't like the idea of having the fifth-wheel hitch setup, the simpler-to-use hitch is also an advantage when compared to a conventional trailer's hitch with WD system and possibly separate sway control. It's not that a fifth-wheel (or Andersen's ball hitch conversion) is simpler; it's just that there's no extra WD system to deal with.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:59 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
When we started looking at the escape trailers the 21' seemed to be the one for us and I really hadn't considered the 5.0TA as I was under the impression that I'd have to give up functionality of my truck bed with permanent mounts for a hitch. After realizing there were options to keep my bed "clean" while not towing I started looking at the 5.0.

Our selling points were the full queen bed and less overall length. We owned a bigfoot camper with a north/south queen bed before and knew we really like that bed arrangement.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
When we started looking at the escape trailers the 21' seemed to be the one for us and I really hadn't considered the 5.0TA as I was under the impression that I'd have to give up functionality of my truck bed with permanent mounts for a hitch. After realizing there were options to keep my bed "clean" while not towing I started looking at the 5.0.

Our selling points were the full queen bed and less overall length. We owned a bigfoot camper with a north/south queen bed before and knew we really like that bed arrangement.
This was the same for us. Additionally, I love pulling the 5.0TA. No swaying, porpoising or anything that I felt with our tow behind.

And don't forget, you have a great out of the rain storage area in front! If the weather turns bad, we can put chairs, our grill or bikes there to keep them dry until it passes. Also, if you back the truck up in from of the trailer, it does "hide" things put under there, say at night. Not thief proof, just more difficult to see.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote