sliding windows vs awning ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
sliding windows vs awning ?

Does anyone prefer the sliders over the awnings ?

I would think only 1/2 the slider window would be screened(maybe someone could confirm That?)This seems like it would be easier to see out of and let in more air.
I know the awning windows are thermal and have the advantages to be open in rain.
For you owners that have had both what our your thoughts?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post

Does anyone prefer the sliders over the awnings ?

I would think only 1/2 the slider window would be screened(maybe someone could confirm That?)This seems like it would be easier to see out of and let in more air.
I know the awning windows are thermal and have the advantages to be open in rain.
For you owners that have had both what our your thoughts?
All the windows are screened, whether they are awning style or slider style. The only exception is the front uninsulated non-opening window with the rock guard. Definitely get the frameless awning style windows imho. Good airflow by all accounts, and they can be left open in the rain. Plus, they just look better.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”

We’ve had both the sliders (thermal on our former 17) and awning (thermal on our new 19). I much prefer the awning windows. They don’t ooze sealant when it gets hot, work better in the rain, and aesthetically are the bomb. But we do miss the big slider on passenger side rear from the 17. It provided superior airflow to the awning style, and you could stick your whole head and shoulders out or pass things through the window, which was occasionally useful. The vast majority of the time the airflow thing is a nonissue, but we did miss the big slider in one particular set of hot circumstances in August, souring the spouse’s taste for the new rig. One other minor point, the door when fully opened will contact the passenger side front awning window (if open), which makes it generally unusable for us, as we like to leave the door and windows open with screens in hot weather and we don’t want to risk accidental damage, so that window is rarely opened. Oh, and the opening rear awning windows are a tremendous improvement over the fixed rear window with the slider window package!
Old 12-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
had sliders in our Casita and we LOVE the thermal awnings in our escape

sooooo nice to have open in light rain, or to not worry about rain.

no divider blocking the glass (visually) as there is on the slider

look great

work great

plenty of air in and out, and we often camp in so cal desert!

highly recommended.

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
ETI isn’t offering sliders any longer from what I’ve read so more a question of buying a New Gen with awning windows or used Classic if one wants sliders.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
ETI isn’t offering sliders any longer from what I’ve read so more a question of buying a New Gen with awning windows or used Classic if one wants sliders.
That is what I thought.

We had an awning window installed at the kitchen (the one that I think is in some Classic 19's) in our Classic 21' so that we could have it open in rain. Also keep the bath window open at night along with the vents. Those two windows and vents work well.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
The stock windows are single pane sliders. if you upgrade to thermal package you get awning and foam insulation.

so I deciding on my order witch to go with awning or slider
Old 12-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Interesting didn’t know that was the non thermal option. I certainly wouldn’t consider non-thermal windows after now having the Thermal ones, especially in your area of the country.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I think you will get every penny back (and speed) on resale if you do the upgrade. Old style windows and less insolation will not be as well accepted 10 or 15 years down the road. I know it is a big hit to the pocket book but in my opinion it should be the first option a person selects. Most other options can be added or changed later...

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
One other minor point, the door when fully opened will contact the passenger side front awning window (if open), which makes it generally unusable for us, as we like to leave the door and windows open with screens in hot weather and we don’t want to risk accidental damage, so that window is rarely opened.
I believe that Jim (cpaharley) did a mod that involved a longer door hold rod. This allows the front window to be used unimpeded.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I believe that Jim (cpaharley) did a mod that involved a longer door hold rod. This allows the front window to be used unimpeded.

Interesting...I will look into this, thanks [emoji106]
Old 12-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We prefer the sliders . We have 2 awnings windows on trailer now , Escape window and kitchen . because the rear of any RV gets lots of dirt really like solid window in bed area . How many windows does anyone need open at a time in the rain . You also have your maxfan which should be running . Important is dual pane windows not single . For our front single window have added plastic insulation to cover and that works excellent especially with the wrinkling the cover had before . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We prefer the sliders . We have 2 awnings windows on trailer now , Escape window and kitchen . because the rear of any RV gets lots of dirt really like solid window in bed area . How many windows does anyone need open at a time in the rain . You also have your maxfan which should be running . Important is dual pane windows not single . For our front single window have added plastic insulation to cover and that works excellent especially with the wrinkling the cover had before . Pat
We think exactly the same on the windows, Pat! Heard so much about what an improvement these windows are from others who changed theirs. And awning for rain works nicely with bath window also open.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We think exactly the same on the windows, Pat! Heard so much about what an improvement these windows are from others who changed theirs. And awning for rain works nicely with bath window also open.
Hey Cathy on our kitchen window ,which except for now stays open all the time , we were told to be gentle with that knob , which we are and usually don't touch it . Don't want the knob to break Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Interesting...I will look into this, thanks [emoji106]
Finally found the thread:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ows-10791.html
Old 12-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #16

Quote:

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2017, 07:12 AM   #17

Quote:

This is such a simple solution . this should be mentioned to ETI ,Then they could just do this at factory.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #18

Trailer: None now
Quote:
One other minor point, the door when fully opened will contact the passenger side front awning window (if open), which makes it generally unusable for us, as we like to leave the door and windows open with screens in hot weather and we don’t want to risk accidental damage, so that window is rarely opened.

Quote:
They changed the door after Jim's was built to one with friction in the hinge that is suppose to hold it in place. And removed the door stop at the same time. What they added does not work, we found in the beginning when it was still stiff that anything more than a breeze would move it some. And a strong wind could slam it against the window. So we added our own stop to protect the window.
The hinge friction does not exist on ours anymore. I emailed them pictures of this back when it was first happening and was told it was normal. Since it wore the paint away from the lower hinge the door swings easily now. I noticed it is now starting on the next hinge part up so I guess it will wear the paint away on it too.
Ignore it being sideways, this is the lower part of the door hinge.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-12-18 08.44.28.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
This is such a simple solution . this should be mentioned to ETI ,Then they could just do this at factory.
True, but it sounds like they are now relying on the friction hinge on the new door so no door catch. Given that wind gusts and accidentally bumping the door can still happen I would add one if they aren't coming from the factory standard any longer. This appears to only be an issue with the window on the 19's (an maybe the 17, but hard to tell from photos).

On edit I see that wetzk captured the real world use and that the friction hinge (at least on his) isn't working. If I had a unit that had a door that could hit an open awning window I would buy the 10" door holder in a hurry.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-18-2017, 12:42 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Break-A-Way door post.
I have been thinking about this problem for a few weeks now and have come up with what I will be trying once I get my trailer. It is a bolt with washer that you attach to a magnet on the side of the trailer trailer during setup. It will stop the door from hitting the window should it fly open or someone leans on it. However if someone accidentally hits it sideways it will fall off and not damage the person. On the end is any ball or mascot that you would like so that the door or a person hitting it straight on will not be injured. The magnet can be attached with double side tape (disc) and/or with a bolt/screw. I think the area where the side wall is re enforced to hold the seat top would provide good sidewall support. The metal tape would go over the magnet to clean up the look of it and aid in weather protection.
This is all in the early stages of development so feel free to run with the idea and perfect it on a real trailer.
The magnet I will be using is called a magnetic welding ground post. The two inch/200 amp model should work just fine. They can be found at Prince Auto, Summit tools etc. First is a picture of the raw products...second is the order as you put them put together...third is them put together...use your imagination! Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
D118EA3E-9FC9-4FC5-BD24-E610CA006F61.jpg   5B77586D-449F-4A3F-AD4C-910C31D7B604.jpg   C3737D80-BCEA-4BFC-9235-8A37A5C7EF30.jpg   31B4442D-7C41-44CD-B782-52859FDF882E.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote