Coffee, coffee, coffee! - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2017, 10:05 AM   #141

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Cute, but wrong on so many levels.
Yah, Jim prefers flavored coffees....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #142

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Why, I oughta......
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #143

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Perhaps, but not the ones I typically refer to as yuppie coffee (hazelnut, French Vanilla, etc.).

Now coffee flavored with a shot of good whiskey, that's something else altogether.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #144

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
"Don't talk to me yet! I'm only on my 537th cup!"
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #145

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
Gourmia Manual K-cup press.

I've been using this manual K-cup press since January and I like it for several reasons.
1. It will make a 15 ounce cup of coffee for those of us who depend on coffee to feed the brain.
2. There is absolutely no clean up. The grounds stay in the K-cup and requires no water to wash. It's great for boon docking.
3. It's inexpensive - $19.99 on Amazon.
4. Because K-cups are individual servings, I can choose between different varieties of coffee depending on my tastes.

The only negatives I've encountered are the price of the K-cups.

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/Gourmia-GKCP1...a+coffee+maker

YouTube How-to Movie:
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #146

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyer View Post

That looks pretty nifty.

Speaking just for myself, an insurmountable con is the fact that you're not brewing with fresh home-roasted coffee beans. Until you've had them, you can't imagine the difference this makes.

I'm with Jim on this, coffee should be consumed within 14 days of being roasted. 7 days is even better.

I roast my beans in 136g batches in a Westbend Poppery, the very first hot air popcorn popper. If it breaks I have two backups. One will "live" in my 5.0 TA when it arrives. These sell on eBay for lots more that they cost new 40 years ago.

Coffee tells you how far along the roast has proceeded. DW prefers hers roasted until first crack has just completed. I like mine roasted just into second crack.

The secret of being kept around the house is taking DW a cup of freshly ground, freshly brewed, home roasted, coffee every morning in bed.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #147
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post

I roast my beans in 136g batches in a Westbend Poppery, the very first hot air popcorn popper. If it breaks I have two backups. One will "live" in my 5.0 TA when it arrives. These sell on eBay for lots more that they cost new 40 years ago.
^ interesting idea. How long does it take?

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyer View Post
There is also the fact that it doesn't taste as lively and bright because it is not fresh ground, it creates a lot of waste, and that the cups take up one heck of a lot of space.

I don't dislike the K-cup taste, just very much prefer fresh ground, and seeing I go camping to enjoy myself, the coffee I consume will be a big part of that enjoyment.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #149

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17 B
We stumbled upon the Areo Press system about 7 years ago. By far for our needs this has been the best, remember the water used will make or break a good cup of coffee.☕
Pfaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #150

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is an island the size of Texas made up of these "K" cups floating in the Pacific. The bane of environmentalists, I throw my waste on my Azaleas, they love it....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1160.jpg   IMG_1161.jpg  
Old 05-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
^ interesting idea. How long does it take?

Janet,

You have to roast outside because a very thin husk blows off when you roast. Outside, it just blows up and away.

Since the outside temp varies radically, the roast duration varies according to the ambient temperature. My roast time varies from about five minutes to almost ten when it's really cold.

I listen to know when to stop roasting. Coffee pops much like popcorn, for exactly the same reason. That's called first crack. After first crack completes it's quiet for a while, then you hear a very soft crackling - this is second crack. When second crack begins, you move quickly from medium-dark roast to expresso and then burned.

My very first batch of home roast was completely successful. I've gotten a bit better since but not a lot. It's really easy to home roast coffee.

Try it!

Rich
Old 05-04-2017, 06:00 PM   #152

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i agree but i live alone and want one cup of coffee before work. Sleep is more important to me then coffee so i use k cups just one a day. But on weekend and camping i use a french press. i don't roast my own but i buy nice beans and grind them myself.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:52 PM   #153

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I just ordered a Nuvo Eco Ceramic Handy Coffee Bean Roaster from Amazon. I figure I can use my Peak 1 camping stove. Since I hand grind my beans when in the Escape, and use an Aero Press, this seemed like the next step. Unlike the popcorn poppers, this should be a lot quieter and won't need to have hookups. I'll let you know how it works out in a future post.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:11 PM   #154

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Red face

Can someone bring a small amount of green beans to the Osoyoos rally? I want to try roasting.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #155

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
No coffee is any good without a good measure of Irish in it
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:45 PM   #156
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Tullamore Dew in particular.

Whilst wandering around the Pacific in the US Navy, at times the fresh water distillation plant would die - no fresh water. So we tapped into the Deionized Water loop used to cool the navigation radars.

DI water has no mineral content, so the coffee tasted a bit weird, but it was still coffee while on watch.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #157

I use a Behmor 1600 roaster, and have for about six years now. I have spoilt myself, as not much you buy, but from a good roaster, will make the grade.

When we travel in the trailer, I will likely not roast beyond bringing a couple pounds with me, and make a point to find good roasters wherever I travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfaffy View Post
We stumbled upon the Areo Press system about 7 years ago. By far for our needs this has been the best, remember the water used will make or break a good cup of coffee.☕
I have primarily been using an AeroPress for over 10 years now, since the first one was put out. I have used lots of other methods of extraction, now mostly all non-electric, and the AreoPress exclusively for travel. It is so easy to use, and does a fine job extracting.

Quality water does make a difference in coffee flavour, no different than drinking it straight up. I still maintain that the single most beneficial thing to do for a good cup, is that it be fresh ground, and I mean immediately before extraction. As it sits the flavour profile starts changing, with it a much less full taste, getting flatter tasting as time goes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Can someone bring a small amount of green beans to the Osoyoos rally? I want to try roasting.
I can, but maybe send me a reminder a couple days ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
No, no, no. It goes great with Irish whiskey, but the whiskey must be in a glass on the side. (okay, I would not refuse some in the cup either. Much better than anything sweet).

I am sipping on a wee glass of Writers Tears as I type, one of the best values out there for Irish Whiskey. There is better, but not at the prices of this stuff. *takes a sip......mmmmmm..... that is nice*
Old 05-05-2017, 06:22 AM   #158

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
lol Jim for me the Irish must always be in my king size coffee mug on my 2nd cup of the morning then it's time to drill holes for new fence ughhhhhhhhhhh
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I use a Behmor 1600 roaster, and have for about six years now. I have spoilt myself, as not much you buy, but from a good roaster, will make the grade.

When we travel in the trailer, I will likely not roast beyond bringing a couple pounds with me, and make a point to find good roasters wherever I travel.

Jim, I must confess to have looked at the Behmor with longing from time to time. But I always come back to the Poppery for size and price.

I've had trouble finding rosters I really like when on the road, so I carry my roaster.

If you're ever on the western side of the Smokey Mountains (US) National Park, stop by The Artistic Bean in Townsend TN. It's a small roaster in a town of maybe 700, but its primo coffee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I just ordered a Nuvo Eco Ceramic Handy Coffee Bean Roaster from Amazon. I figure I can use my Peak 1 camping stove. Since I hand grind my beans when in the Escape, and use an Aero Press, this seemed like the next step. Unlike the popcorn poppers, this should be a lot quieter and won't need to have hookups. I'll let you know how it works out in a future post.

Kevin, you're so right, the air popper is pretty noisy, but it only takes a few minutes. And I'm outside when I roast and don't make much more noise than the A/C. Roasting coffee alone would be a good reason to have an inverter. It would draw down a chunk of power, but worth it to me to roast off the grid.

I also use a hand grinder when on the road. I have a pentagonal drive attachment for my cordless drill and grind my coffee in a Porlex Mini with the drill. Never leave home without my drill because they're great for stabilizer jacks.

That the little Aero Press is about the best thing going. It's cheap and it makes great coffee. It's the only thing I use for brewing.

The Nuvo Eco is quite a thing! Looks kinda weird, but no weirder than roasting coffee in a pop corn popper. I look forward to hearing how you like it.

Rich
Old 05-05-2017, 08:24 AM   #160

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
Ya gonna hate me. I am the only one who drinks coffee in my house. Sooo I just use instant coffee. I am just not that crazy about fresh brewed coffee. Easy when camping, an electric pot to boil the water, no electric, no worry, over to propane stove, no stove working, no worry, over the fire pit will boil water fine. Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote