Coffee, coffee, coffee! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Coffee, coffee, coffee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Good advice Donna. Measure first.

We're going with a French press thermal carafe for the coffee. In fact we're going with the smallest version of every gadget we'll need -- at least starting out. If we find we have the space for a bigger gadget after we've lived in the trailer, then we can upsize.
Good plan, Robert. I've had 4 campers: A Coleman, 2 Aliners, and a Scamp 19. Transitioning to a different trailer is always an experience. When I got the Scamp, I thought I had it all figured out. But it took several trips before all "adjustments" we're made. The Scamp was too different from the Aliners. I'm hoping the 5.0TA is similar enough to the Scamp 19 that I won't have another extended learning curve as to what I need vs. what I think I need.
But I will say I absolutely need a drip coffee maker. I find french presses too messy when it comes to cleaning them, and I've never had pressed coffee that doesn't contain sediment which I stronly dislike. My backup when electricity is not available is one of those 1cup coffee droppers that sits atop a cup and uses small cone filters.
It's always a sense of accomplishment when you finally get things figured out, and everything is just the way you want it. But still, I think you keep on "tweaking" things forever.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
We use this. Pour hot water heated on stove through drip filter into carafe. Keeps warm a long time..

Melitta Coffee Maker, 10 Cup Pour- Over Brewer with Stainless Thermal Carafe: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
Attached Thumbnails
91aZ12k9a1L._SY679_.jpg  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The pour over types make great coffee too. As for the sediment, I've loved it ever since I had what I consider my first cup of real coffee at a cafe off the Champs-Élysées. To each his own.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I prefer a coffee that you don't have to chew, but I do like the flavour that comes out of a french press. But the easier cleanup of a drip setup with paper filter has me thinking about getting rid of the french press for something like Carl's melitta.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #5

The best coffee I ever had was in Jamaica at a coffee plantation. But the bottom line is that the best coffee is made from recently harvested and roasted beans. Sadly, I know of no place where such beans can be purchased, regardless of claims made by the distributor or retailer.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We have both the Melitta drip carafe- like Carls & a French press. Use the melitta for our "regular" coffee in the am, but when we want something different we use special coffee in the French press - they taste quite a bit different.
The Melitta drip carafe together with our one burner high output stove ( can boil water in minutes) worked great to make our coffee's on the side of the road ( there weren't many coffee shops) on our way to Chilliwack & back to Nova Scotia to pick up our 5TA.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
For space savings, as well as great taste, you just can't beat the AeroPress. My coffee grinder fits inside of it, and the entire package is about 8" x 3". Of course this does not include the beans.

I like fresh brewed French Press coffee, but it gets more bitter the longer it is left in the press, as the is still a bed of grounds that the coffee sits in, so we decant right after pressing into coffee cups.

Carl, the beans to not have to be recently harvested, in fact I have some green Sumatran beans from 2007, but you are right about freshly roasted. I try to keep enough roasted that I don't get caught without any, but rarely have more than 2 lbs roasted at a time. Dependant upon the origin, and the roast level, 2-14 days seems to be the best window for the age of roasted beans.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
For space savings, as well as great taste, you just can't beat the AeroPress. My coffee grinder fits inside of it, and the entire package is about 8" x 3". Of course this does not include the beans.

I like fresh brewed French Press coffee, but it gets more bitter the longer it is left in the press, as the is still a bed of grounds that the coffee sits in, so we decant right after pressing into coffee cups.

Carl, the beans to not have to be recently harvested, in fact I have some green Sumatran beans from 2007, but you are right about freshly roasted. I try to keep enough roasted that I don't get caught without any, but rarely have more than 2 lbs roasted at a time. Dependant upon the origin, and the roast level, 2-14 days seems to be the best window for the age of roasted b
Which coffee grinder are you using? I usually order green beans from Sweet Maria's and I use a Gene Cafe roaster.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Carl, the beans to not have to be recently harvested, in fact I have some green Sumatran beans from 2007, but you are right about freshly roasted. I try to keep enough roasted that I don't get caught without any, but rarely have more than 2 lbs roasted at a time. Dependant upon the origin, and the roast level, 2-14 days seems to be the best window for the age of roasted beans.
Jim, don't get me wrong. I like the taste of pressed coffee, I just don't like the sediment, especially sediment containing coffee grounds that end up in my mouth. And I find it a lot easier to dump and rinse a drip basket rather than to clean a french press, given that I don't feel the minor improvement in flavor is worth the added effort. I would agree with you that fresh roasting is more important than "freshly harvested," but my Jamaican experience tells me that freshly harvested beans also enhance the flavor. This sentiment is shared by the wife of a good friend. She is from Costa Rica and they typically bring 25-30 pounds of beans back when they visit her family. She also roasts their beans as needed.
I cannot and will not debate that preparation of coffee can result in a great beverage or a disgusting concoction. I concur that unroasted beans roasted just before grinding make the best coffee and the stuff in the can at the store makes the worst. In between are beans you grind yourself, and then maybe Dunkin' Donuts/Starbucks. And if you have ever been in the army, what is served as coffee might be confused for used motor oil. The real truth is, however, that coffee preferences vary so much. Robert stated the best coffee he ever had was in Paris. The worst I ever had was in Germany. My best was in Jamaica. My best at a commercial establishment was at Bern's Steak House in Tampa. They, too, roast their own beans. I will paraphrase Donna. Your tastes may vary (YTMV).
Cheers!
Old 11-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #10

Jim, how good is the AeroPress at keeping out grounds? I should have asked.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I've got one and there are absolutely no grounds - coffee good to the last drop.The AeroPress made obsolete my Melittas, my french press, my Clever Coffee Dripper, etc. Due to the coffee maker plus a supplier who gets my fresh roasted coffee to me, I don't enjoy coffee that I get out.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Since this pantry topic has become a coffee thread...
The AeroPress produces coffee with no grounds, because it is a filter system. It has minimal waste because the filter is just a small disc, not a whole cone. It requires minimal cleaning (much less than French Press) because the plunger which pushes the coffee through the filter wipes the walls of the unit clean like a squeegee, and after using it the filter holder is removed and plunger is used to eject the grounds and filter with just a little bit of grounds left on the end of the plunger.

Back to storage: an AeroPress only makes coffee for two at a time, but as Jim mentioned it is small. I just got mine a week ago, and it looks like it will be a regular item in any RV we're using.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Jim.. I took your good advice on the AeroPress last spring.. the change over allowed me to leave the Tassimo at home.. freed up counter and storage space, lightened my tow, and I get to enjoy a little morning exercise and a much better brew both on and off the grid ;-)

Quote:

Old 11-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Less cleaning than a french press? Cool beans.

I see they are conveniently for sale at the Osoyoos Home Hardware too. What is a typical price on these?

Edit: I see amazon.com has 'em
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I've got one and there are absolutely no grounds - coffee good to the last drop.The AeroPress made obsolete my Melittas, my french press, my Clever Coffee Dripper, etc.
Another vote here for the AeroPress. Makes incredible coffee and small in size. I also use a small Hario hand burr grinder ... and NEVER had had grounds in the coffee with the AeroPress, easy to clean.

Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Which coffee grinder are you using? I usually order green beans from Sweet Maria's and I use a Gene Cafe roaster.
I use the larger Porlex. I mostly order from Sweet Maria's too (great prices, but shipping really hurts to Calgary), and use the Behmor roaster. I just bought the upgraded control panel for it, but have yet to install it.

Porlex Tall Hand Mill - Manual - Grinders - Brewing Equipment
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
If you use the standard paper filters, none at all. I now use the reusable stainless steel filter, which does allow a wee bit to get through, but that usually settles down, and even if you drink it, you really don't notice it. What the metal filter does, is allows more of the oils to come through, giving a brighter (more acididy) taste to the coffee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burloak View Post
Jim.. I took your good advice on the AeroPress last spring.. the change over allowed me to leave the Tassimo at home.. freed up counter and storage space, lightened my tow, and I get to enjoy a little morning exercise and a much better brew both on and off the grid ;-)

I do get lots of exercise manually grinding, but honestly enjoy the ritual when camping. Not sure if you are referring to the pressing though, but start with as light of pressure as you can, yet with it still flowing through the filter. This makes the pressing overall easier, I think it allows the grounds to help filter the fines, instead of the fines clogging the filter.

I had bought the Bonavita coffee maker for use at home, as it is highly rated by the Coffee Association of America, and it worked great, until less than two years later it just conked out on use. For nearly a year now, I primarily use the AeroPress at home, with the Moka Pot seeing a bit of use for stovetop espresso.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/store/bre...al-carafe.html
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Aeropress it is. Will just have to get used to 1or 2 cups at a time. My "cups" are not the same size as the industry's "cups".
Old 11-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Aeropress it is. Will just have to get used to 1or 2 cups at a time. My "cups" are not the same size as the industry's "cups".
Got that right, Robert. The industry's idea of two cups is my idea of one cup!
Old 11-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #19

Most of the time when I use the AeroPress, I use 3 scoops of coffee, and use a full syringe of boiled water (measuring it into the syringe cools it a bit), stir it up for maybe one minute, then press. The resulting 'juice' is good for two 12 ounce cups. A good ratio for coffee to water is 2 gms coffee per fluid ounce of water. We usually do two batches a day, and on a rare occasion, three.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
I use the larger Porlex. I mostly order from Sweet Maria's too (great prices, but shipping really hurts to Calgary), and use the Behmor roaster. I just bought the upgraded control panel for it, but have yet to install it.
Thanks. I can add a Porlex with my next order with Sweet Maria's. I also have a Behmor, but don't like having to overstate the volume to get a desired roast. I call it the "nanny roaster" as it doesn't just let me set the time. Maybe the upgraded control panel address that issue? I bought an AeroPress a few years ago, but have never really used it. I guess I need to give it a good try out.