For the railroad loving members.... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2022, 11:13 AM   #21

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
We have been to Steamtown a couple times, and to Strasbourg also. Having grown up in the Philly suburbs, we always had a fascination with trolleys that we rode every day to high school.
Steamtown has the "Electric City Trolley Museum" right next door, and it has some of the "Red Arrow lines" trolleys I rode as a kid.
The PA trolley museum near Pittsburgh also has some of the trolleys I rode as a kid, and we have been there too.
I still need to visit the Rockhill trolley museum, which is located next to the East Broad Top railway, they have one of two suburban 3 car "Liberty Liner" trainsets that were used originally in Chicago, but later used on the Norristown high speed line near Philly.
I was grateful to have the electrified PRR high speed railroar right in my back yard growing up. The 4 line Northeast corridor was right there at our back yard.
Attached Thumbnails
921 Woodland Ave trains.JPG   RedArrowLibertyLiners.jpg  
Old 11-30-2022, 12:09 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I have worked as a conductor/brakeman for the Alaska Railroad since the late 80s. I still have my seniority but moved into a positive train control position in 2016. The ARR is somewhat unique in that you can work in passenger, freight, and yard service positions. I don't consider myself a railroad hobbyist but do enjoy traveling by rail and have the Vancouver to Toronto Via Rail trip on my bucket list.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 12:58 PM   #23

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
We have been to Steamtown a couple times, and to Strasbourg also. Having grown up in the Philly suburbs, we always had a fascination with trolleys that we rode every day to high school.
Lancaster where I hail from was a hub for a trolley system which radiated from downtown Lancaster's Penn Square to Columbia, Marietta, Ephrata (where a rider could connect to Reading at Adamstown), Millersville, Lititz, Manheim, Strasburg, Quarryville, Terre Hill and Coatesville in Chester County, where one could connect to Philadelphia. At its peak, the Lancaster system had 40,000 riders a day. In its heyday @1913, Lancaster had 40 different trolleys operating with 12 million passengers using them annually.
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.jpg  
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 01:13 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Steamtown has the "Electric City Trolley Museum" right next door, and it has some of the "Red Arrow lines" trolleys I rode as a kid.
The PA trolley museum near Pittsburgh also has some of the trolleys I rode as a kid, and we have been there too.
I still need to visit the Rockhill trolley museum, which is located next to the East Broad Top railway, they have one of two suburban 3 car "Liberty Liner" trainsets that were used originally in Chicago, but later used on the Norristown high speed line near Philly.
I was grateful to have the electrified PRR high speed railroar right in my back yard growing up. The 4 line Northeast corridor was right there at our back yard.
Then we've been by your former house many times on NE Corridor trains! Daughter and family just left the Rt 128 Station (first stop after leaving Boston) on Train 93 for Richmond, Virginia.

For trolley lovers, though not in Pennsylvania, the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine has a large campus devoted to historic trolleys, a big shop for restorations, and also houses many buses and subway cars. It's worth a day:

https://trolleymuseum.org
Old 11-30-2022, 01:17 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
I have worked as a conductor/brakeman for the Alaska Railroad since the late 80s. I still have my seniority but moved into a positive train control position in 2016. The ARR is somewhat unique in that you can work in passenger, freight, and yard service positions. I don't consider myself a railroad hobbyist but do enjoy traveling by rail and have the Vancouver to Toronto Via Rail trip on my bucket list.
I would love to get up there and ride the Alaska Railroad. Some day. . .

We took the Via Rail trip from Toronto to Vancouver (with a stop in Jasper) back in 2008: wonderful riding in the old '50s equipment. We ferried to Vancouver Island, then again to Seattle, where we caught the eastbound Empire Builder (and the Lake Shore Limited) back home: memorable trip.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:52 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here are some more...https://www.treehugger.com/fabulous-...-globe-4863745
Old 11-30-2022, 03:52 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Took the Santa excursion train last Saturday night out of New Haven Indiana. Had lots of fun with our kids and grand kids. Had a private conversation with Santa Clause, where I learned I am 5 years older than he is. Sobering.

Though my Buckeyes didn’t make the grade earlier in the day, I’m still backing them and will until I can cheer no more. Everybody’s season ends with a loss at tournament time except one.

I could always relate to the railroad poem when I was working.
I’m not allowed to drive the train………

Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
087E4734-9492-4D58-B030-86A9AECD400C.jpg   1F55D3C5-C03A-43B9-AB35-51365A22A0D7.jpg  
Old 11-30-2022, 09:20 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I don't think I'd call Funiculars trains—nor trolleys, either—fascinating though they may be.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:37 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Took the Santa excursion train last Saturday night out of New Haven Indiana. Had lots of fun with our kids and grand kids. Had a private conversation with Santa Clause, where I learned I am 5 years older than he is. Sobering.

Though my Buckeyes didn’t make the grade earlier in the day, I’m still backing them and will until I can cheer no more. Everybody’s season ends with a loss at tournament time except one.

I could always relate to the railroad poem when I was working.
I’m not allowed to drive the train………

Iowa Dave
I remember that poem hanging up in the old yard office I first worked out of. It was the type of place with all sorts of interesting railroad history laying around and always smelled of diesel and cigarette smoke. You could always find a crew or two playing pinochle on their lunch break. I was lucky to hire out when I did. Modern railroading isn't all bad by any means but a lot of things were lost along the way.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
I would love to get up there and ride the Alaska Railroad. Some day. . .

We took the Via Rail trip from Toronto to Vancouver (with a stop in Jasper) back in 2008: wonderful riding in the old '50s equipment. We ferried to Vancouver Island, then again to Seattle, where we caught the eastbound Empire Builder (and the Lake Shore Limited) back home: memorable trip.
Hope you make it up here some day. We have some great scenery to take in from the rail. My favorite trip to work was between Anchorage and Fairbanks. Many of my co-workers favor the Anchorage to Seward trip. Happy to answer questions for anyone considering a train trip while visiting.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:54 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 escape 17b -sia-
another outfit to check-out located in Skagway Alaska is the White pass/Yukon route
railroad. Narrow gage track operating out of Skagway to sites over the border into
Canada and back. Lot of info online on it.
FGunderson/Wrangell,Alaska
fgunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:31 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here you go.....https://wpyr.com
Old 12-01-2022, 05:04 PM   #33

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
I'll add another train museum to the list. The Illinois Railway Museum in Union, Illinois. There's a KOA nearby along with a few other campgrounds in the area.

irm.org
Old 12-01-2022, 11:57 PM   #34

I can share some photos of the Alaska Railroad and White Pass & Yukon. My wife and I made a few trips to Skagway and rode on the WP&YR.
Attached Thumbnails
2442_1082710155346_8830_n.jpeg   IMG_2936_2.jpg   1929084_1091668179291_1564859_n.jpeg   DSC00098.jpeg  
Old 12-02-2022, 12:04 AM   #35

Here are a couple where the melt from a summer snowstorm caused some problems. Excuse my terrible photography skills.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00125.jpeg   DSC00133.jpg