Full time living, advice needed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #1

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Full time living, advice needed

An opportunity came up for us to relocate to Phoenix from Tacoma. Same job same everything, just different location. With no kids and a passion to explore and have new adventures, we decided to go for it! Signed an offer on the house in 3 days, had a moving sale, and put the remaining stuff in storage. We are now living in our 5.0 in Phoenix.

We are concerned about the 5.0 handling the 100 plus heat for 3 months or more and are considering our options. We DO NOT want to live in an apartment and the thought of buying another house and furnishing it again does not appeal.

We love the RV lifestyle and are seriously considering buying a LARGE! fifth wheel and living full time in that. Does anyone on the board have any experience or recommendations? Considering a Montana, Cedar Creek, Bighorn, ect. The web is full of horror and love stories for all of the units, but we have no direct experience. We know that we need something well insulated and a 2nd AC. Hopefully we can tap into the experience and knowledge of this board and make the correct decision for us. Thanks, Bob
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Check out the new Winnebago Latitude 34 RG featured in the February issue of Trailer Life magazine. Sounds like it can really be insulated for your needs. Very heavy though. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
If I understand your situation correctly, you would sell the 5.0TA and replace it with a much larger trailer that you would live in full time and go RV'ing with it.

There is a similar situation in the boating world. People end up with a large ocean going yacht, start living on it and often a curious thing happens. Things start to accumulate, the process of simply casting off and going gets longer and at some point the boat seems to grow roots and not move much.

Not sure if that'd apply to you but something to be aware of.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
My two cents comes via an "old guy" who was next to me once. A chatty guy.

He really liked the 5er across the way because the frame was stronger. It "only" needed 4 corner support, unlike several of the newer units that require/have 6 stab jacks for the frame. He also imparted his partiality of heaver FT cabinets/components.

Good luck in AZ. I hope to be snowbirding in the Apache Junction area next year.

edit: you must have a reason for not mentioning class As?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Bob: Northwood | Arctic Fox 29-5T

I don't ever see us getting a larger RV, I don't think we would like to full time. We like our homes and mixing things up a little.

The Arctic Fox are very nice units, four seasons but they are heavy. They were on our short list but we wanted a smaller camper to fit in state and BLM sites. Good Luck, Scott

Scott, Lori and Fritz the snow Schnauzer

Fat bikes are Fun!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
If I understand your situation correctly, you would sell the 5.0TA and replace it with a much larger trailer that you would live in full time and go RV'ing with it.

ron
We would keep the 5.0, at least for the short term. It would go into storage and then used for weekend trips. We have just a 1/2 ton pickup, so that would have to be upgraded at some point.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
Bob: Northwood | Arctic Fox 29-5T

I don't ever see us getting a larger RV, I don't think we would like to full time. We like our homes and mixing things up a little.

The Arctic Fox are very nice units, four seasons but they are heavy. They were on our short list but we wanted a smaller camper to fit in state and BLM sites. Good Luck, Scott

Scott, Lori and Fritz the snow Schnauzer

Fat bikes are Fun!
Agreed, I am familiar with Ron Nash and the Arctic Fox Line.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
We would keep the 5.0, at least for the short term.
Good thing you clarified that otherwise you might be getting a stream of "I want to buy it" PM's

Ron
Old 01-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Well. How about a Tiny House?
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The 100+ temps start sometime in early May and can run all the way till Nov in the flatland of Phoenix. I don't know that anything is going to be great at handling the temps especially when they are in excess of 105 and 110.
My recommendation, since we go to the high country over 7000 feet in the brutal temp periods, is to stop in some RV parks and ask some of the residents you see if anyone stays for summer and how their rigs handle it. If you check in with the office they can probably hook you up with some full time residents to chat with.
I personally would rent a small apartment, and use the 5.0 to get out of town and up to the White Mountains or Flagstaff area on my days off.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Is this still the escape forum?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I lived in a 17' Casita for the entire month of June in Phoenix 4 years ago. VERY doable. Not the greatest park but here is where I stayed:
Home

I am assuming you have A/C and hopefully the extra insulation and double pane windows.

My only concern is the fridge - the current Dometic will NOT cut it. I would buy a 120V compressor (normal) fridge - dorm room size or however big you want.
Option 1: find space in the 5.0 for it. (I suspect this is not really an option unless you get a really small fridge.)
Option 2: put it outside, beside the rig, under the awning.
Option 3: build some sort of shed and put the fridge in it.
Option 4: park your rig in Flagstaff for the summer and commute - either every day or weekends.

Houses/apartments are easy to find and relatively cheap to rent for the summer. Not much competition. (Duh!!!!)
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
If your going to get a larger 5th wheel, look at the Mobile Suites or the Elite Suites models as they are some of the higher end units and are very nice.

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Yes! Great to see an Escape owner looking for info about travel and living 'south'.

Can we live in our Escapes 'down there' or should we have something else during some months. Popular topic in our house, especially in this dismal weather.

This is very "Escape". Much better then people that don't even own an Escape answering Escape owner questions based on reading this Forum and Google results .....
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The big commercial campgrounds, if you want to call them such, have rental trailers as well as rental park models, chances are they also have a place you can store your Escape. Used trailers are also plentiful in AZ as well as folks you pay to move them for you.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
This is very "Escape". Much better then people that don't even own an Escape answering Escape owner questions based on reading this Forum and Google results .....

Ron
Old 01-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
An opportunity came up for us to relocate to Phoenix from Tacoma. Same job same everything, just different location. With no kids and a passion to explore and have new adventures, we decided to go for it! Signed an offer on the house in 3 days, had a moving sale, and put the remaining stuff in storage. We are now living in our 5.0 in Phoenix.

We are concerned about the 5.0 handling the 100 plus heat for 3 months or more and are considering our options. We DO NOT want to live in an apartment and the thought of buying another house and furnishing it again does not appeal.

We love the RV lifestyle and are seriously considering buying a LARGE! fifth wheel and living full time in that. Does anyone on the board have any experience or recommendations? Considering a Montana, Cedar Creek, Bighorn, ect. The web is full of horror and love stories for all of the units, but we have no direct experience. We know that we need something well insulated and a 2nd AC. Hopefully we can tap into the experience and knowledge of this board and make the correct decision for us. Thanks, Bob
More power to you . My last trip up North met a couple who did what you are talking about . They had a really nice 5 th wheel , sorry can't remember what brand . It was very luxurious. They were very happy . When they wanted to stay put they would go to a daughters home for awhile . They had all the comforts of home . They invited us for a glass of wine and. I was wishing I was brave enough to give it all up and do the same . Good luck and happy adventures. Pat and Linda
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thom and Cari, on FiberglassRV live full time in a Mobile Suites and until recently used their Parkliner as a get-away-from home rig. But that's also here in Oregon at the beach. They're nice people (NOGgers) and would gladly answer any questions you might have about full-timing in a Mobile Suites (practicality, storage, etc.)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
This thread was started in cyber campfire, which is for off topic conversation. There is a vast amount of RV experience on the board and I am hoping to learn from those who have "been there done that"
Old 01-12-2016, 06:38 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Phoenix is a big RVer area so there may be places that have RV garages or carports to keep the unit under. That would help. Also, many of those people leave in summer because of the heat. There may possibly be rentals available where you could have a bigger unit half of the year and go back to the 5er the rest. Most people take their units out of there but perhaps there are some who rent while they go to a house for that time.

Or maybe you would just want to go ahead and get a bigger unit. Lots of people who own big units also own small ones for short trips. There is often storage at parks for smaller units where people keep their bigger ones.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote