Some Oregonians are now allowed to pump their own fuel - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2018, 07:21 AM   #81

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
except, of course (drumroll)..........poutine.
Actually, never met a kid, and very few adults, who didn't.

It is just sooooooo yummy made proper.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:39 AM   #82

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

After three failed attempts to stomach poutine, two of which were in Quebec, you will never convince me of that!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
After three failed attempts to stomach poutine, two of which were in Quebec, you will never convince me of that!
Yet millions daily are enjoying this delicacy. I love a good poutine, but limit my purchases due to the richness of the dish.

One of the best poutines I have had is an Oxtail Poutine, a bruch poutine with oxtail and eggs. This restaurant is on Granville Island in Vancouver, BC.
https://ediblecanada.com/
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #84

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Scarcities

I am a big fan of Canadian alcoholic beverages, Hawkins Cheezies. Canadian walleyes and Canadian Maple Syrup. However, I have a pressing question. In these media promised severe winter weather interludes the empty shelf grocery store phenomenon is well known. My research shows the three most sold out items are milk, eggs and bread. Am I right? This would indicate to me that everybody is home making French Toast. Its the only logical conclusion I am able draw. The lynch pin in this theory is that the Syrup shelf never seems to be empty. I am so confused.
Iowa “hot griddle” Dave
Old 01-05-2018, 09:06 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I am a big fan of Canadian alcoholic beverages, Hawkins Cheezies. Canadian walleyes and Canadian Maple Syrup. However, I have a pressing question. In these media promised severe winter weather interludes the empty shelf grocery store phenomenon is well known. My research shows the three most sold out items are milk, eggs and bread. Am I right? This would indicate to me that everybody is home making French Toast. Its the only logical conclusion I am able draw. The lynch pin in this theory is that the Syrup shelf never seems to be empty. I am so confused.
Iowa “hot griddle” Dave
That's 'cause homemade jams and jellies can be substituted for the syrup, and taste great in doing so. My favourite was my mom's apple-chokecherry jelly.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #86

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Having 5 children and 11 grandchildren one thing I have discovered is no matter how delicious something is , there will always be at least one in the crowd that will object to eating it.
It has nothing to do with how it tastes because half the time they've never tried it.
Every year my buddy gives me his limit of Canadian Walleyes.
WHY ? Because his wife doesn't like Walleyes. Never eaten one in her life but she knows she won't like it.

Poutine is probably is in the same category. hated by a bunch of people that have never tried it and enjoy being contrary.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #87

Thanks Jim.
I had considered alternative condiments, not so much jams and jellies as butter and cinnamon, apple butter, and brown sugar. Syrup is usually my favorite but I did have a jar of red raspberry preserves from Adrian that was real tasty. Thanks for your expert opinion it means a lot coming from one of Canada’s foremost French toast chefs.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #88

Quote:
Iowa “hot griddle” Dave
Dave your logic in coming to that conclusion is impeccable. I hope to attend the Wine Escape this year if one of Irma's cousins doesn't come calling, as Irma disrupted my plans for last September. Alf tells me you are a frequent attendee. If and when we meet, remind me to tell you the "logic" joke.

Incidentally, we have "discussed" Division 1 football programs in the past. While I am not a University of Central Florida supporter or fan, isn't it ironic that the "committee selection" ended up getting two teams in the final who both had one loss, each to Auburn, and UCF went undefeated and beat Auburn in the Peach Bowl, in the same venue that the National Championship is being played, yet UCF is eliminated from the National Championship picture. Sort of like Boise State a few years back and was it Western Michigan recently. The big schools and power conferences get way too much favoritism, IMO.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Having 5 children and 11 grandchildren one thing I have discovered is no matter how delicious something is , there will always be at least one in the crowd that will object to eating it.
It has nothing to do with how it tastes because half the time they've never tried it.
Every year my buddy gives me his limit of Canadian Walleyes.
WHY ? Because his wife doesn't like Walleyes. Never eaten one in her life but she knows she won't like it.

Poutine is probably is in the same category. hated by a bunch of people that have never tried it and enjoy being contrary.
Does that mean people who HAVE TRIED IT and find it distasteful are not contrary, by your perception of what is contrary?
Old 01-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #90

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Wow I can’t believe it, this issue made it into the Calgary Herald newspaper.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/world/...b-825c8f0a45e3

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
As a child, the gas attendant used to wash our windows, check the fluids and Dad would say "Filler up with 20/40" or some such concoction. A few years back I went to a full service station and I was prepared to pay the higher price. Realized later, that full service meant putting gas into the tank and nothing else.

I miss those days...

Lorna
The local fuel station I use, Calgary Co-op, always cleans windows and someone's asks about fluid levels. All for the same cost as self - serve.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:24 AM   #92
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Ima head over to Louisville and get me a Hot Brown and leave this Poutine thing alone.... [emoji23]

Sadly, I'll have to pump my own gas along the way.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
As a child, the gas attendant used to wash our windows, check the fluids and Dad would say "Filler up with 20/40" or some such concoction. A few years back I went to a full service station and I was prepared to pay the higher price. Realized later, that full service meant putting gas into the tank and nothing else.

I miss those days...

Lorna
And we gave you a free calendar with wholesome Norman Rockwellian pictures on it, a Batman glass, scratch tickets for prizes, S&H green stamps, and if you were truly a regular customer you could come inside the station while I parked your Buick. Once inside you were treated to a shot of cheap whiskey added to your $.10 Coca Cola, and on Football Saturday’s you could go into the wash house where a carefully prepared, free offering of roast raccoon on Rye bread, slathered with brown mustard and a dab of homemade horseradish would pretty much allow you to set sail for foreign lands.
Miss those days, sometimes so much I cry.
Iowa “Cecil Bros. Standard Service” Dave
Old 01-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Ima head over to Louisville and get me a Hot Brown and leave this Poutine thing alone.... [emoji23]

Sadly, I'll have to pump my own gas along the way.
Or you could go to Memphis and get a burger deep fried at Dyer's in 106 year old cooking oil (circa 1912, I believe).
Old 01-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #95

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Quote:
This would indicate to me that everybody is home making French Toast. Its the only logical conclusion I am able draw. The lynch pin in this theory is that the Syrup shelf never seems to be empty. I am so confused.
Iowa “hot griddle” Dave
These threads take on a mind of their own... and are loved and hated for same.

So the real question becomes: French Canadian french toast or French french toast?

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #96

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Thanks, y'all for a great laugh this morning. Now I must get crackin' with chores...all the while with visions of French fries and French toast being deep-fried in 106-year-old cooking oil. Thanks a lot.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:33 AM   #97

British Columbian/ Alberta Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honair View Post
These threads take on a mind of their own... and are loved and hated for same.

So the real question becomes: French Canadian french toast or French french toast?

French toast cooked in the big grill at the Escape Customer Appreciation Rally. Thick slices, flipped by Chef Bennett at the right moment, piled high at the serving window, choice of toppings, 6 kinds of syrup, fresh blueberries, not a sad camper in sight. France has got nothing on that serving.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #98

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I did the same thing, after the same rally, at the same place. But I bought food with my coins instead of gas.

Now I just keep my Canadian money for the next trip, except for the toonies that I give away to kids.
I do the same, but almost always forget to throw the envelope into the trailer as I pack. When I get home I add what ever I collected to the stash. I still have a paper $10.00 Canadian bill.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #99

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Speaking of leftover foreign coins, I finally found a solution to the stash that I had accumulated over the years. I mounted them (by country) on a log pole in my cabin. I believe there are coins from 18+ countries with five countries not represented. I treasure these coins as many are from countries that no longer have their own national currency. I also have some from the GDR which no longer even exists. So pull out all those coins that are dumped in a drawer and do something with them!
Attached Thumbnails
Coin Polea.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #100

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I do the same, but almost always forget to throw the envelope into the trailer as I pack. When I get home I add what ever I collected to the stash. I still have a paper $10.00 Canadian bill.
I keep my Canadian money in a ziplock bag normally stowed in the trailer, but the trailer is in the shop this week so I removed the bag. I counted it up: I have $75 in bills and $18.61 in coins (yeah, somehow I got a penny). Dang! I need to take another trip.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote