Some Oregonians are now allowed to pump their own fuel - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2018, 07:10 PM   #121

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Tell me again, why I should be unhappy I don't pump my own fuel?

You shouldn't be because you don't want to.

The issue is choice. You should be unhappy that you don't have the choice. Have what ever reasons you want to do what ever you like but allow others the same privilege.

Recently I had the opportunity to return to the US for the first time. I had never been through customs before and it was kind of fun, in a perverse sort of way. My luggage was delivered to the customs area and once through customs a porter took it from me but I had to take my own luggage through customs. I presume the reason is so that I could be held responsible for what ever I had with me. If I had been disabled I would have been able to get someone else to carry it for me but I'm able bodied (more or less) so I didn't have a choice.

Suppose all able bodied Oregonians had to pump their own gas? That wouldn't be right, would it?

By the way, no disrespect is intended. I fully appreciate all you do for this forum.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #122

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Nice!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:16 PM   #123
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
You shouldn't be because you don't want to.

The issue is choice. You should be unhappy that you don't have the choice. Have what ever reasons you want to do what ever you like but allow others the same privilege.
But you are missing the point. The majority of tax-paying, voting Oregonians like it. We see no financial or tangible reason to change it. Speed? If that's it and the only reason, I'll just leave the house 15 minutes earlier. IF we paid less per gallon, then heck yes. But that's not the way capitalism typically works. The benefit of not doing the work could go away, but the price wouldn't drop. You can pretty much count on it. I often see choice as being very, very important... this "problem" nah... bigger and more important battles to pick.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:21 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Well, I have a site meeting at 7am, and a fuel tanks that says I have 30km until empty. It is -22°C (-8°F) with high winds out there, and I am headed out for fuel. Guess which lane I am using?
Yep, that rear view mirror looks pretty nice. This is the key point to your post: Guess which lane I am using?

You have a choice. Most people in Oregon don't have a choice. Do you chose the same every time? What if it is springtime in April, you have been driving for the last 4 hours, it's 75 with a light breeze and the trees are all in bloom? Wouldn't it be just fine to stretch your legs and pump some fuel? But you can't in Oregon.

I prefer that the gummament keep out of my business.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #125

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Tell me again, why I should be unhappy I don't pump my own fuel?
Pricing in this instance more than likely has to do with state taxes and marketing issues and less to do with paying the gas jockeys. They're not working for free. Side-by-side pump comparisons would be more appropriate and if the pricing is the same, then those who are pumping their own are paying for the jockeys, too.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #126
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I prefer that the gummament keep out of my business.
The government should interfere with our business, but I believe only if there is a compelling reason to do so. With gas pumping, I just don't see anything compelling. This particular law would just rub me the wrong way, but I don't live there. Quirks and differences in how things are done from place to place do keep things interesting. If the voters of Oregon ever want to change that law, they will.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #127

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Grew up in NY - now live in GA, travel mostly the East and Gulf Coast
last time I was in a station that was full service had to be 30 years ago
This is a joke about Oregon - right?
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #128

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I used full service pumps when filling the company car. The station I used charged 2 cents a litre more, but since I wasn't paying . . .
Old 01-10-2018, 07:44 PM   #129

Quote:
Because many members do not believe these things ridiculous, so in effect you are knocking their point of view. We all have differing points of view on many topics, but to call other's view ridiculous is generally no accepted.

I pumped gas when young, and was trained to do things as they should be done. I was quite happy to have that job, as were many of my friends. My nephew has a job pumping gas here in town to supplement his income while going to school. Some work as bag boys (girls) in grocery stores. Sure you could carry your bags out yourself, but for many the assistance is greatly appreciated. I believe helping others is a good thing.

There are places where garbage collection is done from the residents yard. My brother in law in Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, is not allowed to have the garbage out in front of their house. The garbage collectors come into his back yard and bring it to the street to the truck and dump it. When they bring the cans back they also bring a broom and sweep up the area before replacing the cans.
OK, this has pretty much turned into a flame war so this is my last shot. From here on you are free to have it your own way.

I don't much care what is generally accepted nor do grant to anyone the right to declare such. I'll call someone's view ridiculous if that is how it seems to me. My opinion is just as valid as anyone else's, especially to me. Many people have held ridiculous ideas in the past and there is no reason why the present should be different. If one's skin is so thin or their beliefs so weak that they can't withstand negative comment then they need to review their position.

I too pumped gas as a youth. It was a self-serve station that "served the ladies". Self-serve was a relatively new idea in those days and I taught a lot of people how to do it. As a teen it was a fine job, for minimum wage. There is no shame in honest work of any level but there is little glory in pumping gas. I tried for a box boy job but didn't get it. In the town where I went to college there were no jobs to be had because there were so many applicants. I'd have been happy for a minimum wage job that allowed me to study some of the time.

Every job involves helping others. Doing it for money is not to be confused with doing it for free.

I shudder to think what it costs to have your garbage collected by someone who comes to the house and sweeps up around the cans. I bet I wouldn't like the price and I'm sure I wouldn't like the lack of choice. This sounds like a restrictive covenant promulgated by better-than-thou types. I know it wouldn't work where I live and the houses are 1/4 mile apart and up to a mile back from the road. Some of my neighbors have community dumpsters out by the road and private trash pickup.

Different strokes for different folks but I can pump my own fuel.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:45 PM   #130
Site Team

David, I'll make you a deal. Next August, I'm traveling from Portland, OR through Washington, crossing the border into Idaho about Coeur d'Alene and on up the panhandle to camp for a night. Before I cross into British Columbia, I'll fuel up. I'll gladly pump my own fuel, since that's what's done in Idaho and not complain about it since I don't live there, vote there nor pay any property or income taxes to Idaho. IF/when you come to Oregon, enjoy this state and we'll do the work for you for the same reasons.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:45 PM   #131

It's a deal.

Now if my last post doesn't get me banned then I don't know what will.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:45 PM   #132

Quote:
Do you chose the same every time?.
Absolutely. They are a bunch of great kids that work there. Heck, they even washed my windshield and asked if I wanted my oil checked today, even as cold as it was.

Fortunately the vast majority of my refueling can be done there, and most stations do not offer this service.

$143 for fuel, and $2 at the most for the labour to fill my tank. The company is not hurting for that. Heck, they gave me a coupon for $2.50 towards groceries, and I will get another $5.00 rebate on this fill at the end of the year.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #133

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Seems these days of the interweb, there is growing hobby called "taking offense".
Told KFC the other day that I found their "Shut the fill up" campaign offensive. Not for the inferred language, but for the lack of creativity and that it made no sense.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:01 PM   #134

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp447 View Post
Grew up in NY - now live in GA, travel mostly the East and Gulf Coast
last time I was in a station that was full service had to be 30 years ago
This is a joke about Oregon - right?
Nope - since you go up the east coast, try filling in New Jersey (or the town of Huntington, NY)... apparently New Jersey is the other state which does not permit pumping your own gas.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Seems these days of the interweb, there is growing hobby called "taking offense".
Told KFC the other day that I found their "Shut the fill up" campaign offensive. Not for the inferred language, but for the lack of creativity and that it made no sense.
That really is a stupid ad, eh! I bet it turns off more folks than it attracts.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #136
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Nope - since you go up the east coast, try filling in New Jersey (or the town of Huntington, NY)... apparently New Jersey is the other state which does not permit pumping your own gas.
Oh shoot, I'm going to need to dip a bit further south on my trip, so I can fill up!
Attached Thumbnails
Mileage8_PortlandMN-To-PortlandOR.JPG  
Old 01-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #137

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
There are places where garbage collection is done from the residents yard. My brother in law in Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, is not allowed to have the garbage out in front of their house. The garbage collectors come into his back yard and bring it to the street to the truck and dump it. When they bring the cans back they also bring a broom and sweep up the area before replacing the cans.
Jim: I had a hard time believing this so had to look it up. So they describe it as “homeside” pickup. Homeside refers to any location adjacent to the garage or within six feet of your house. It looks like they also have to buy special “Mountain Lakes” garbage bags. They call it pay-as-you-throw. The bags are counted and you pay accordingly with the idea that it promotes increased recycling and reduction in waste. With townhouses listed over a half million $ I don’t think anyone able to afford living there is complaining about buying special garbage bags.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Jim: I had a hard time believing this so had to look it up.
Me too one time we were there, about 12 years ago, when I was outside playing with their dog, and I saw this go down.

The things you get when you pay $35k in taxes, eh! To be fair, there is lots included in this including one of the top primary schools. Beautiful homes. Theirs was built in 1921.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #139

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Perfect...I just got a NOCO lithium jump starter for Christmas and get to use it. Didn't work!
Just wanted to update that NOCO stood by their 1 year warranty and sent me a brand new unit. No description or indication of what may have been wrong with mine, but I might call the company. My dad has had good luck with these units so I'm pretty confident I just got a bad one.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #140

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Let me get this straight , Oregon should feel obligated to change their gas pump laws because some yahoo from a state 1500 miles away is unhappy and he or she feels the law violates their freedom to pump. Maybe the Federal Government should pass a uniform vehicle fueling law and end this form of discrimination
In my book the people of Oregon are free to govern themselves
If I was strongly opposed to Oregon's fueling laws then I would stay out of Oregon.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote