who uses Fog lights? / Hella 500 / OEM connector->F350 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2019, 11:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question who uses Fog lights? / Hella 500 / OEM connector->F350

who uses Fog lights? / Hella 500 / OEM connector->F350

Hi all

So I am curious to know how often do people use Fog lights?

I live in the midwest now (just moved here) and if I was camping, and the fog was really bad… I would wait it out.

I am likely going to get an aftermarket front bumper for our forthcoming new F350, so I would lose the stock Ford fog lights.

If I really should have fog lights…… (?)

For $105 Aluminess will mount a pair of Hella 500 fog lights in the bumper
“ They shoot a short, wide beam that is perfect for cutting through fog.”
and have wire coming off them. Understandably they will not hook them up to my truck.

(I want to leave the stock bumper intact, and not cannibalize the OEM Fog light wiring harness on it, so I can easily put the stock Ford bumper back down the road, if need be)

I’d need to ideally find the correct female (?) connector to connect to the bare wires coming from each Hella 500 so I could plug them in, in place of the OEM stock Ford fog lights.

Anyone know the actual connector Ford uses?

Either that or I could buy an OEM wiring harness and splice the Hella 500 wires into it.
i THINK (but not sure if) it is Ford Part # HC3Z-15K867-B (about $30-$40-ish.)
Not sure this is the correct Ford Superduty 2019 fog light harness…. I think i may have been told the wrong part #

Thoughts? Advice? thanks!

Here is the bumper I will likely get:

https://www.aluminess.com/ford/ford-...-winch-bumper/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Fog lamps are mounted low, which is why, one week after picking up my new 2008 RAV4, I had a broken fog lamp lens. I have no idea how it happened. Perhaps a thrown rock.

I replaced the lens with a piece of acrylic cut to fit and haven't turned my fog lamps on since.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:34 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've used them when it's snowing and when I need to see a wider swath, they seem to light up the sides of the road better, useful driving to fishing spots in the dark on dirt roads. Can't think of any other times. If the truck hadn't come with them I'd not miss them.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
It gets so foggy where I live that drivers can’t see the edge of the road and get lost or drive off the road, even when going very slow. Fog lights are good for us and we use them a dozen or so times a year.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:57 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would not own a vehicle without fog lights. Since I do a lot of nighttime driving/towing, I find the fog lights, particularly the newer LED models, really light up the shoulder area well. Really helps seeing animals along the road or debris. They, with the newer projector headlamps are a great improvement for night vision while driving.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:39 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Absolutely agree with CPAHarley. I would not own a vehicle without fog lights. The deer and turkey are so thick here they are almost vermin. They love to stand in the road and on the sides of the road which makes night time travel challenging. Fog lights very much help with avoiding a close encounter with a critter.

We are in a very rural wilderness area so our needs differ from many in the more congested areas - we actually are able to use our bright lights about 70% of the time!
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
they have bright lights for automobiles now
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I also agree: fog lights, with a their low, flat, wide beam are very useful.

I think, though, that the railroads have The better name for them: "Ditch Lights."
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Bright lights don’t work well in the fog, it reflects back at the driver.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #10

There is a reason they mount fog lights down low, to keep the reflection minimal....
Old 11-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Put aftermarket fog lights on my Tundra. Use them a few times each trip. A must have in my opinion.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
While I agree fog lights are very useful in foggy and snowy conditions, they are also the bane of my existence. Why?? Because where I live, lots of guys decide they need to add a lift to their truck, so it sits higher. That means their headlights are higher and aren't effective in illuminating the surface of the road. To compensate, these folks run with their fog lights on all the time, along with their headlights, and it's blinding to oncoming traffic. It's just like they're running with their brights on. Add a trailer without a weight distributing hitch or weight in the back of their truck, and it's even worse, 2 sets of lights blasting you right at eye level.

That said, I have fog lights on both my vehicles, and I use them when it's foggy or snowing hard, as they're intended to be used, and they are very helpful. I also tow my Escape with a WDH so as to avoid blinding others at night, because I know my truck squats an inch or so without it.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:29 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I have fogs on all my vehicles, reminds me, the ones on the F250 need new lenses, and yellow bulbs.

I use Optilux (Hella retail brand) Extreme Yellow XY on my euro cars
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
While I agree fog lights are very useful in foggy and snowy conditions, they are also the bane of my existence. Why?? Because where I live, lots of guys decide they need to add a lift to their truck, so it sits higher. That means their headlights are higher and aren't effective in illuminating the surface of the road. To compensate, these folks run with their fog lights on all the time, along with their headlights, and it's blinding to oncoming traffic. It's just like they're running with their brights on. Add a trailer without a weight distributing hitch or weight in the back of their truck, and it's even worse, 2 sets of lights blasting you right at eye level.

That said, I have fog lights on both my vehicles, and I use them when it's foggy or snowing hard, as they're intended to be used, and they are very helpful. I also tow my Escape with a WDH so as to avoid blinding others at night, because I know my truck squats an inch or so without it.
This tells me the Idaho state and local police are not performing their duties. If you modify a motor vehicle (as in adding a lift) you should adjust your lights accordingly. There are highway standard for headlights/foglights and if they are not within their parameter, the vehicle should be impounded or given a citation until fixed. No different than being over loaded...or unsafe.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Thanks everyone for the great info. :-)

Perhaps I will take the stock OEM fog lights out of the stock OEM bumper and somehow mount them into the Aluminess bumper. Solves a bunch of problems... except I have NO idea how I would physically mount the Ford fog lights into the Aluminess. I'm no metal fabricator, by any means. Hmmmmmm

also dont know if there would be enough wire slack to do it easily. (dont know where the new light position would be, relative to stock)

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:09 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Thanks everyone for the great info. :-)

Perhaps I will take the stock OEM fog lights out of the stock OEM bumper and somehow mount them into the Aluminess bumper. Solves a bunch of problems... except I have NO idea how I would physically mount the Ford fog lights into the Aluminess. I'm no metal fabricator, by any means. Hmmmmmm

also dont know if there would be enough wire slack to do it easily. (dont know where the new light position would be, relative to stock)

these are excellent projector fogs, very clean wide pattern with a crisp cutoff, very durable.
My Hella Lights :: Micro DE Fog

I would drill a 2.5" hole (use a hole saw) in your alum bumper in a location where there's plenty of empty space behind the bumper, take a dremel and round the edges of the hole and also secure a right angle bracket above this hole behind the bumper, spray the hardware and hole the same color as the rest of the bumper (matte black?) , then screw the lamp's bracket to that right angle bracket such that the lamp is flush with the bumper. wire length isn't a big issue, just splice some longer wire in if needed. use marine/automotive style wiring and put it in a 'loom' (plastic sleeve to protect the cable from abrasion).

I like using Optilux Extreme Yellow XY H3 bulbs in my fog lamps.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote