Why Do You Camp? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... We don't camp...we "Escape"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
From whom?

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
For all the great reasons already enumerated;
and this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sept12-14-2014-Bishop 054.jpg (295.1 KB, 11 views)

dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by civi View Post
I retired and wanted to get away, but I have my Golden Retriever. The camper solves my dilemma, for I cannot be away from her. My wife, Me and Ginger fit into a 16` scamp just perfect. The dog is great traveler and loves all the attention she gets from the other campers who cannot resist petting her, right after they say what a cute little camper. I never had a camper before, so all is new. Carl
Looks like a wonderful dog to have with you.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I bought my trailer so I could travel and do landscape photography. I have no particular fascination with camping itself. I might learn to enjoy it, but I really don't see the appeal of being outside just to be outside. Perhaps that's from having grown up on a farm-- maybe I subconsciously equate "outside" with "work".
Old 02-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I bought my trailer so I could travel and do landscape photography. I have no particular fascination with camping itself. I might learn to enjoy it, but I really don't see the appeal of being outside just to be outside. Perhaps that's from having grown up on a farm-- maybe I subconsciously equate "outside" with "work".
I would think that for very few it is solely just the "camping", as in just using the trailer and the campsite they set up in, but it is more about the activities it allows them to partake in, and the convenience in which to do so.

This is what camping with a trailer is all about to me. It gives me the opportunity to do the things I love, like exploring, sight seeing, photography, biking, hiking, paddling, museums, fishing, shopping, and so on. It is also a great way to socialize with friends and family, as well as meet new friends.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
In the early fifties dad bought 33 acres of woods and wetlands just south of the great swamp in Morris County. Wow, dirt roads. He got an old Jeep pickup I think had 4-wheel drive. I loved our trips out of the city, discovering the great exotic smells of the forest, exploring trails, seeing ferns, lazy little streams, deer. I tried to build a tree house, we cooked with charcoal. Wasn’t real camping since we drove home 36 miles every night but the impression was made.

Trips to such places must have stuck with me. I brought my old pup tent home from the service. Every week right after school let out for the summer my buddy, a fellow teacher, and me blasted north, out of state for two weeks of decompression camping, far as Newfoundland. Oh, them steaks on the Barbie, that LaBatt 50!

Can’t claim this is a DNA thing since I’m only second generation American. No wagon trains are part of my ancestry. It must be the automobile, the freedom it brings, and that goosey, natural search for contrast, desire to explore, and for me, record, it makes so possible. Lucky us we got this amazing continent.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
New me, new life, new faces, new places, new food, new historical places, new ways of speaking, new perspectives on an old familiar place.

Did I mention new?
Old 02-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #38

Trailer: 2012 15A
Wow, Myron, you summed it up very nicely.
For me the camping experience was also defined by the experiences I had as a child, not a dictionary definition.
I used to often look at how some people "camped" and would say to myself "that is not camping".
Only by traveling and gaining experiences other than what we had as children do we truly begin to appreciate what we have around us.

Traveling the world and staying in hotels could be classified as "camping" for some.

As kids we often 'camped out’ in our back yard, small town, northern BC. No tarp, no tent, no trailer, no sleeping bags. Just some warm blankets, a pillow, some great friends and the Milky Way overhead was all we needed. Watching and counting shooting stars till we finally fell asleep.

It's not as much how you camp but rather that we can and do get out there and enjoy more than what is in our back yards.

Thanks Myron, your words struck deeply for me.

JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote