Winter is on its way - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Winter is on its way

A skein of Canadian geese just flew heading south over the house, beautiful birds and lovely sounds, soon snow....

Old 09-03-2017, 09:15 AM   #2

Trailer: None
Leaves are changing color , acorns are dropping like crazy , geese are flying, so I ordered 5 cord of oak logs yesterday and hope we make the winter . All the signs point to a cold one.

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
Site Team

Steve, do you not know the old adage about wood heating you twice, once when you split and once when you burn it?? Or are your oak logs unsplit?
Old 09-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Steve, do you not know the old adage about wood heating you twice, once when you split and once when you burn it?? Or are your oak logs unsplit?
Part of my order is 102" oak logs (not cut and split) and part is cut and split ( 16" pieces )
A lot depends on what I can get and the price
I use to cut my own but at my age ,dragging logs out of the woods is not practical.
Wood prices seem to follow propane prices .
If propane goes up wood goes up.
I've seen wood ( Hardwood ) as low as $100 a cord and as high as $300 / cord
Spring is cheaper than the fall (Supply and Demand)
We loose electric power a lot in the winter and wood heat works without power so it's more reliable.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #5

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
wood

Down here in SW Fl. we don't need wood we need boats to get us out of our streets when it rains like this last week . although nothing compares to Texas problems with water .
usually our Summer storms we can loose electrical power so no well water but that what our Escape 21 is for . We have a 2400 watt Yamaha to power up our escape 21 it powers everything A/C , water heater and fridge on propane .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:19 AM   #6
Site Team

I agree 100%, I miss my wood stove.I'm sure you are experienced in this but for others do not ever trust a 1/2 ton pick up delivering a cord of wood, after they dump and leave you will see it is not a cord, a cord weighs from 3-6000 lbs dependent on wood type!
Log Cord Weight Calculator
Old 09-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A skein of Canadian geese just flew heading south over the house, beautiful birds and lovely sounds, soon snow....
Speaking of winter, how much antifreeze does it take to winterize a 19?
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #8
Site Team

A gallon should do it if you got the e-z-winerizing option, don't forget the w/h bypass, the p traps in shower and sink and release the fresh water pressure button outside.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Part of my order is 102" oak logs (not cut and split) and part is cut and split ( 16" pieces )
A lot depends on what I can get and the price
I use to cut my own but at my age ,dragging logs out of the woods is not practical.
Wood prices seem to follow propane prices .
If propane goes up wood goes up.
I've seen wood ( Hardwood ) as low as $100 a cord and as high as $300 / cord
Spring is cheaper than the fall (Supply and Demand)
We loose electric power a lot in the winter and wood heat works without power so it's more reliable.
I heated my house with wood from the early 70's to 2011 when natural gas ended up less expensive (and a lot easier!) I don't have a wood lot, but went from "share cutting" on other lots to slab wood, delivered logs, and finally (gasp) paying for cut wood. Other than the free wood, slab was the least expensive at $16.00 for a full cord, while cut & split hardwood was going for $125 a face cord. Better than what my brother on Nantucket Island would have to pay if he didn't haul his own - last I checked hardwood was $500.00 per face cord!

I solved power outages with a 15K natural gas stand by generator & a whole house transfer switch. So far the longest run was for 5 days...
Old 09-03-2017, 01:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I heated my house with wood from the early 70's to 2011 when natural gas ended up less expensive (and a lot easier!) I don't have a wood lot, but went from "share cutting" on other lots to slab wood, delivered logs, and finally (gasp) paying for cut wood. Other than the free wood, slab was the least expensive at $16.00 for a full cord, while cut & split hardwood was going for $125 a face cord. Better than what my brother on Nantucket Island would have to pay if he didn't haul his own - last I checked hardwood was $500.00 per face cord!

I solved power outages with a 15K natural gas stand by generator & a whole house transfer switch. So far the longest run was for 5 days...
We don't have access to natural gas . There is a NG pipeline in the area but it is 2 to 3 miles away . Every one here uses propane or wood. Propane was $3 to $5 / gal a few winters back and many people in my area turned their heat down to the upper 50's and still had $1000 / month heating bills. The one redeeming thing was the lack of mosquitos.
My cost for a full cord of oak (4' x 4' x 8') is $150 cut , split , and delivered. I just stack it in the 1 1/2 cord wood racks I built.
There is a lot of dead fall on the ground from a tornado a few years back but anything within a half mile of a road has already been taken and the rest is too hard to get out without a D8.