1/2 ownership in a 5.0 TA/21 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Old 11-08-2015, 08:08 AM   #11
Hi: All... Even Steven Honest!!! I'm sure the insurance industry would have a field day with this and even the best of friends would end up fuming at times. Not for me thanks. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'10 Frontier CC. S.E. 4X4 Lng. Bed V6 '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas Ont.( Not the Virgin Islands)
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #12
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Interesting concept, heavens knows most RVs just sit in a parking lot most of the time. If you were just looking to use the trailer for one, maybe two extended trips a year, this might not be a bad idea. But for those like us, who do lots of weekend trips, it just would not work.

I don't mind lending my trailer out to family at all, if I am not using it. I did that a few times with my 19. I know that they would take care of it, leave it in clean condition, and fix anything that might break. For me, this is what family is all about, sharing, in one form or another. I own 70 acres of rec land with my brothers, and a few revenue properties, and have done so for well over 20 years without any problems. Sometimes I end up doing more work, as I am the builder guy in the family, and on the revenue properties, I just charge for it, and they are more than happy to pay.

I don't think there would be an insurance issue in the case of a shared trailer, if it is not a business deal. If renting, you would likely have to have better coverage.

2017 Escape 5.0 TA (someday soon, I hope )
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #13
Site Team
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Normally there are not too many issues owing jointly held property, either tenants in common or tenants by entirety, even as non related ownership. I have owned beach front property with 2 other couples, insurance and taxes and loans were all non issues.
As long as you have written agreements it is simple. Owning personal property in 2 names is simple.The only down side is in case of death or loan default of one of the parties, then you have heirs and estate vested interests as well as the bank trying to take over. But again a simple agreement specifying that in case of demise the unit would revert back to the other owner and they would take over the loan should handle that concern. It can be done easily.....
never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #14
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Given the OP's off seasonal useage, it seems reasonable to pursue a shared use situation.

I've heard many horror stories over the years about shared agreements not working out. Sometimes it's "you buy the place, I'll do the maintenance" kind of set-up which seems not to work out. But, on the other hand, the one time I tried sharing a boat it worked out really well. A friend had a boat in Greece that she couldn't use for a year and I had a boat here so I got to use the boat in the Med. for a year and she got to use my boat here. Worked well without any issues because we each knew that we'd deal with and be responsible for any issues.

As long as the O.P. approaches this the same way a landlord looks at a prospective tenant they should be successful in finding a partner that will be responsible and take care of the trailer.

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote