21' purchase? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #1

Trailer: coming
21' purchase?

We are very seriously looking at the escapes. Torn between Bigfoot quality, insulation, vs Escapes layout and better weight and price of course. Hope you can help
1] Should we be concerned about the Shell strength and hairline cracks we've read about? Anyone had issues with weight of the double pane windows on the frame?
2] Any new frame problems?
3] We camp 4 months a year general , so it will be used lots, will it stand the test of time?
4] If you were to buy another trailer would it be an Escape?
5] Anyone out there that has had a Bigfoot and gone to a escape what are your findings?

freeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #2

Trailer: TBD
I would not let weight deter you from getting the trailer you really want
Others can answer your other questions better than I can .

Old 10-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 Escape 19' (Sold)
If you camp that much, you might think about checking out the Oliver. A bit more money but, after viewing Mark and Sally's Oliver Legacy Elite at the last NOG, I have to say I was impressed. And theirs is certainly set up for some long-term camping! (That said, this is our second Escape and we are more than happy with ours.)

Also, check out some of the other forums for comparisons (Bigfoot compared to Escape - Fiberglass RV and Bigfoot 21 or Escape 19 - Fiberglass RV).

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #4

Trailer: coming
thanks, Glad your happy with yours, that is what keeps us thinking escape since everyone we talk to is happy with them. Even though we saw build issues we aren't sure about. Like stay foam for insulation, cheaper pull out drawers.
freeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Have you seen an Escape? Mine is ten years old and I have had no issues with the trailer. I have had the furnace motor replaced under warranty and finally had the fridge serviced last year.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I'm waiting for my 4th Escape, very familiar with Oliver out of Tennessee, but Escape I believe is a better buy, particularly for a Canadian. They hold their value and based upon a 6 month wait list, a lot of others agree with that assessment.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
To follow up on Glenn's report, we figure we have about 62,000 miles on our 2014 and have had no expenses for repairs. We had a few very minor things that were fixed at Chilliwack before one of the Customer Appreciation Rallies, and no worries since.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Weight was a factor for us as we didn't want to be forced to drive a large SUV or pickup. I think the frame and crack issues are few, usually resolved by ETI at the satisfaction of the owner, and likely a result of changes in design and materials when they were made. I don't think ETI is planning any more changes. We have had no problems with our trailer since new in 2013.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
The frame issue was limited to 19' trailers within a specific time period and ETI issued a recall and either did the fix themselves or paid for the fix to be done ( like if you lived in Florida ).

As best I recall, the crack issue was one trailer.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
After the second major leak in our Nash 19B trailer finished it off we went looking for the BigFoot trailers. We had seen several of the smaller ones in our neighbourhood and they seemed to be holding out well. We went to the dealer who sold us the Nash and also sold Bigfoot only to learn they stopped carrying the brand when they went bankrupt (not sure if this was true). They were waiting to see if the new Bigfoot had sufficient quality before carrying them again according to the owner.
Then a neighbor told me to look at the Escapes and we very quickly were smitten, especially after touring the factory. Many trailers come with powder coated frames/axles, but I saw them painting them with rust paint. I looked into their torsion bar suspension and learned it had superior shock absorption compared to springs. On getting our trailer we found that many of the appliances were superior to those in our Nash. The few problems and questions that we did have were dealt with promptly and often by Reace or Tammy. We are still gaga about our Escape and would definitely buy another. At the time we bought our Escape an equivalent Bigfoot was many thousands more expensive and much heavier, though better insulated for 4 season camping. We find the Escape is fine right down to freezing or a bit below. Love it!

Bob K

Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote