Disaster Prep-The Great Shakeout - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Disaster Prep-The Great Shakeout

(Alert: stand back, I have my work hat on!)

This Thursday, we have the opportunity to review and practice what to do during and after a disaster. On Oct. 16, at 1016 hrs, the Great Shakeout will occur. This is a disaster simulation that allows us to practice what we (ourselves, family, co-workers, friends) would do in case of an earthquake, or other natural or un-natural disaster.

See details, ideas, and suggestions on

ShakeOut - Select Your ShakeOut Region

There are separate sites for regions throughout N. America, the Pacific rim, and other parts of the world. Check it out.

Thanks for listening.
Don (Fire Dept. Prevention Engineer)
-on the Bailey Fault and just south of the Simi Fault
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
(Alert: stand back, I have my work hat on!)

This Thursday, we have the opportunity to review and practice what to do during and after a disaster. On Oct. 16, at 1016 hrs, the Great Shakeout will occur. This is a disaster simulation that allows us to practice what we (ourselves, family, co-workers, friends) would do in case of an earthquake, or other natural or un-natural disaster.

See details, ideas, and suggestions on

ShakeOut - Select Your ShakeOut Region

There are separate sites for regions throughout N. America, the Pacific rim, and other parts of the world. Check it out.

Thanks for listening.
Don (Fire Dept. Prevention Engineer)
-on the Bailey Fault and just south of the Simi Fault
"Drop, cover and hold on" eh?

We do that here with hurricanes.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
"Drop, cover and hold on" eh?

We do that here with hurricanes.
Best listen to this then:

Old 10-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #4

Whatever the disaster, our prep. is similar. Assume that emergency responders are overwhelmed; assume that power is out, store are closed, and it's you and your neighbors trying to make do.
Is your family secure? Water and food? Medications? Is your structure safe? Is the trailer a more secure location?

Another program is CERT.

Community Emergency Response Teams | FEMA.gov

The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. Using the training learned in the classroom and during exercises, CERT members can assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event when professional responders are not immediately available to help. CERT members also are encouraged to support emergency response agencies by taking a more active role in emergency preparedness projects in their community.

It's sort of like enhanced dry camping.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Southern Californians are sure on the same page when it comes to our semi-regular calamities! The trailer's always ready for action. I'm good for a week or two.

Don, I was a volunteer over at 35 in the 70's before my cop career (yeah I've heard it before, "he went over to the dark side") and we had a firefighter named Andrews. Any relation?

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #6

Greg,
No, he's no relation.
A good friend of mine was an engineer at 35 in the 80's, right down the hill from his house. How cool was that!
Re: Emerg. Prep.: yeah, that's our plan: When we get our 17, a lot of the emergency stuff in the garage will be in the trailer, all ready to go. Brush fire, earthquake, tsunami (well, not at home-we're 130 ft. above sea level; but at work I'm 53 ft. ASL and at the edge of the inundation zone).
Old 10-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #7

Bump: It's time again, to review what you and your family would do in an emergency.
The Great Shakeout exercise is today, Oct. 20, at 1020 hrs.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Bump: It's time again, to review what you and your family would do in an emergency.
Hi: dfandrews... Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:38 PM   #9

Nice Job, Alf.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Hi Don already lived through it 1994 . Had insurance then fought and fought ended up with 77,000 in damage to home, foundation etc. . Had RV , lived in for 6 month's in driveway refused to go somewhere else . Had cash , water , food ,now I have a clean out . My nerve's are still rattled to this day . Felt 2 quakes . When one was going to stop another started up .Cabinets opened up poured out ,and everything that could be broken was . What I learned , attach large items to studs . Have baby latches on cabinet doors . Have water, food , flashlights on hand . Know how to turn off gas . We were without electricity for days . Have a generator , ice chests .Most important when things like this happen people help each other and we were alright . It will happen again , this was my 3rd big one in my lifetime . Guess why I always have to have a RV too. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I had a friend from who lived in Northridge then. He had a bookcase in his apartment bedroom and had put a big Chinese ceramic pot on the top. During the earthquake the ceramic pot landed on the bed where his head would have been if he hadn't been in the bathroom sitting on the stool.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Don already lived through it 1994 . ......It will happen again , this was my 3rd big one in my lifetime . Guess why I always have to have a RV too. Pat
Yes, we've all learned from the previous ones. So, because the next one is coming (today, 100 years, ....?) we know what to fasten down, what to store, what to prep for, and even to have an emergency phone number out of the area to contact and check in with (mine is my brother in AZ).
Stay cool, the heat will be over in 48 hrs.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes, we've all learned from the previous ones. So, because the next one is coming (today, 100 years, ....?) we know what to fasten down, what to store, what to prep for, and even to have an emergency phone number out of the area to contact and check in with (mine is my brother in AZ).
Stay cool, the heat will be over in 48 hrs.
Would like some more rain please ! Pat
Old 10-20-2016, 03:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
I had a friend from who lived in Northridge then. He had a bookcase in his apartment bedroom and had put a big Chinese ceramic pot on the top. During the earthquake the ceramic pot landed on the bed where his head would have been if he hadn't been in the bathroom sitting on the stool.
Can relate a little had a large picture over bed , something in the dark kept hitting me in the head , wasn't until it got light saw the wire broke and it was the frame swinging at me hitting my head . We are just over the hill from Northridge . Sad about the apartment buildings . Glad your friend was ok though . Pat
Old 10-20-2016, 03:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Wow, one of those amazing stories we've heard a bunch of!!! Who'dda thunk it, at 4:31 A.M. (I can still remember the exact time)
Old 10-20-2016, 03:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Would like some more rain please ! Pat
But, Pat.. we got 18 hundredths of an inch. We're done until at least December,
Old 10-20-2016, 07:06 PM   #17

Quote:
But, Pat.. we got 18 hundredths of an inch. We're done until at least December,
No No . , Pat
Old 10-20-2016, 10:19 PM   #18

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
1989 Loma Prieta is still fresh after 27 years!
We still "prepare". People laugh...usually those are the ones who are not ready.

Makes me laugh when the news reports a hurricane will make landfall and people jam the stores for supplies! TOooooooo late!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
1989 Loma Prieta is still fresh after 27 years!
We still "prepare". People laugh...usually those are the ones who are not ready.

Makes me laugh when the news reports a hurricane will make landfall and people jam the stores for supplies! TOooooooo late!
I know it is something that never leaves you . We have a kinship . I know what you mean . Pat
Old 10-20-2016, 11:53 PM   #20

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I helped with recovery efforts after hurricane Katrina. Ended up working with an Emergency Management Coordinator for a county in south Mississippi that had taken a devastating hit. He said the biggest lesson he learned to prepare for first response to the next wide area disaster was the dire need for two things: 1) a source of fuel that doesn't require electricity to extract and 2) a system of communication that doesn't require functional relay towers.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote