Escape 19' as an office? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I see no reason why you could not make the 19 work for your needs. The dinette is plenty big.

Table and desk height are usually the same, but I know it is nice to have the keyboard a bit lower for comfort. Maybe you could mount a keyboard tray to pull out with the table top pushed to the other side side. This would not likely work for a laptop though.
We just installed the pedestal however table slides side to side in the regular dinette which we still have after installing new pedestal . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018 on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Klaus, is the table top removable? I like the idea but in our U dinette I need access to the rear seat on occasion.

I did make the table removable, although it's not something you would do daily. I wanted to have clear and unimpeded access to the inside of the storage benches, just in case. So, underneath, I mounted 4 knobs using threaded inserts. Does that make sense?

Here's the pic.

Klaus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7343729810_0ea05ef665_z.jpg (177.9 KB, 16 views)

Honda Pilot 2011
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 19' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
Hi All...

we're replacing our 17B with a 19 next year and I have a question. We'll be using the 19 for a few months during the early spring to escape Maine mud seasons. I'm not retired, but I CAN work from anywhere as long as I have internet (I'm a web application developer). So I'll be spending many many hours at the dinette working on my computer. My concern is the ergonomics of this set-up. Do any of you have any suggestions, thoughts, ideas, opinions, etc. about this?

I might have the height of the table lowered to make typing more comfortable. Thinking about not having a "fixed" table at the dinette so I could push it away if I need more space.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
We do use our 19' as a traveling office as we are on the road for up to three months at a time. The only change I made was to raise the dinette seats about 3 1/2". With that change, the table top is at a good height for both of us to be working on our laptops. Also, we both use firm pillows for additional back support while working at the table. At some point I'm sure we'll need to replace the seat cushions but what we have has been working OK for the six months that we've spent on the road.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
And here's the same pedestal in a U-shaped dinette. The ability to adjust to any height up to 28" and to rotate it might work well for you. I also use our 19 as an office (on occasion) because I'm an IT consultant, and like you, unless I'm at a customer site, I can work anywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1336.jpg (140.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1333.jpg (159.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1334.jpg (144.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Like Zardoz, I can not sit at dinette for periods of time. I will try again.

For now I at a camping chair at end of table. The adjustable table idea would help a ton.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Like Zardoz, I can not sit at dinette for periods of time. I will try again.

For now I at a camping chair at end of table. The adjustable table idea would help a ton.
Yep. My 2nd photo above shows the table slid to one side. If you rotated it toward the front, you'd have plenty of overhang to tuck under with a chair.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
I agree that the standard cushions (both firmness & back angle) leave a lot to be desired for long term sitting in the Escape (as well as most trailers that use combined dinette/beds).

I work for hours at a time on a 17" MacBookPro at the front dinette in my 17B, but I got rid of the cushions and replaced them with West Marine High Backed Chairs. Very comfortable, removable (so you can use them outside) and adjustable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASG_1929.jpg (158.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I find my desk at home ends up cluttered with "stuff". If I was using my table as a work desk I'd do a different version of the shelf unit that I did for my solar panel controller etc.

A small shelf unit to suit the misc. "stuff" that would otherwise clutter the table top can be made that attaches to the table base. No drilling of holes to attach to the wall and the shelf unit stays in a fixed position while the table is still free to slide back and forth. The shelf makes use of otherwise dead space.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-01-2015 3-19-29 PM6_resize.jpg (167.5 KB, 28 views)
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I find my desk at home ends up cluttered with "stuff". If I was using my table as a work desk I'd do a different version of the shelf unit that I did for my solar panel controller etc.

A small shelf unit to suit the misc. "stuff" that would otherwise clutter the table top can be made that attaches to the table base. No drilling of holes to attach to the wall and the shelf unit stays in a fixed position while the table is still free to slide back and forth. The shelf makes use of otherwise dead space.

Ron
Still one of my favorite mods. If I had the standard dinette, I'd be making one.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
My concerns would focus on seating rather than the placement of a computer. Know that the dinette seats are flat bottoms and backs set at 45 degree angles. We never use our dinette for traditional seating because it's so uncomfortable. We do however, set it up as a platform bed and use a number of pillows for lounging. This is no fault of ETI, just the nature of the beast.
Hi: Zardoz... We put some cut to fit sections of pool noodles down behind the dinette seat back cushions... Instant good angle for your back!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote