Escape Issues - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2018, 10:10 PM   #51

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 ordered
I really don't think all steps were created equally. Mine did not go straight in and out. Had to be wrestled to get in and out. Eventually removed and modified and back on. Now acceptable.

Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:24 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
The step worked fine but the distance to step in the trailer and out was too much . My knees will attest to that . Removed that step and bought a new step that has shorter distance to get in and out of trailer . Then cut down our aluminum folding step for another step . Basically have 2 step with much better distances . My knees are now happy . Absolutely love the Classic manual awning and wouldn't change . Same type awning using for 35 +years and can operate by myself . My biggest bitch are all the exterior plastic fixtures which have been changed to stainless . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:59 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We picked up our first Escape this January and like many here, chose an Escape based on opinions posted here.
The issues we have had all occurred soon after we picked it up and on our return trip to southern Calif.

The MaxxFan wouldn’t respond to either the remote or panel buttons. Worked fine when we did out walkthrough at Escape.
The exhaust fan stopped working.
The bathroom shower wouldn’t shut off when control was shut.

On the MaxxFan Reese suggested I call the factory directly since it would probably be quicker than him doing it. I did and they promptly sent me a new control board which was not difficult to replace.

On the exhaust fan Reese did complain about the quality control on that but promptly sent me a new light and fan switch harness which was also not difficult to replace.

The shower/faucet issue stumped Reese and he thought pulling the faucet might resolve the problem. Before I got to that it resolved itself so we are thinking it may have been some debris in the line during the installation.

We’ve done 5 trips and 4500 miles so far and nothing else has shaken loose since then so we are happy campers.

I will also throw my two cents in on the new awning. I was concerned about how much stress it would put on the trailer but so far it has worked great and I would say we love it. We just got back from a trip to the Southwest and had a few days of thunderstorms and it was fine. I did dump it periodically by pulling the corner down slightly as stated in the manual. It also retracted automatically during one breezy afternoon. I was impressed.

That said, my only issue is on options that Escape does. They don’t seem to do as many custom ones as the early Escapes have.

We wanted the dinette raised 4 inches and they said they only do 3 inches.
I wanted the light over the dinette controlled by a switch at the door and they said they only add one that controls the light in the kitchen area.
I wanted another switch to control an outside light on the drivers side and they said they don’t do that.
These are all options that I have read about other users getting. Oh well things change.

That said we love our Escape.
EddyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:04 AM   #54

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Glad you love your 19; we had issues too in the beginning and still always loved it and still do. As to the no more mods- that is another reason why the Classics are just that!
Old 07-12-2018, 01:33 AM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
The step on our 19 only goes up or down when it is aligned perfectly straight. If it gets pulled on while at an angle, it gets stuck. If stuck, just push it back and start again. Maybe some lube would make it slide easier.

I don't think I could open or close it with my foot, but never tried. It usually works for me first or second try by hand, sometimes I have to try another time for my co-pilot. Lining up for hitching is when any nearby kids get to learn new words. My tow has a back up camera, but can still take up to 5 shots to line it up right. Worst is shade while sunny out.

Time to repaint that step, it is now looking faded and a bit rusty around the edges after 4 years - along with some other spots on the frame. I stopped in at ETI last month to look around while in Chilliwack, and was amazed at how glossy the showroom model steps looked compared to mine.

Still love my Escape.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:14 AM   #56
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
The secret to the step is quite simple, use both hands. if you keep it level and raise and lower, it should function properly. It is when using one hand or the step becomes caught since it was not level, then it hangs up.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
The step on our 19 only goes up or down when it is aligned perfectly straight. If it gets pulled on while at an angle, it gets stuck. If stuck, just push it back and start again. Maybe some lube would make it slide easier.

I don't think I could open or close it with my foot, but never tried. It usually works for me first or second try by hand, sometimes I have to try another time for my co-pilot. Lining up for hitching is when any nearby kids get to learn new words. My tow has a back up camera, but can still take up to 5 shots to line it up right. Worst is shade while sunny out.

Time to repaint that step, it is now looking faded and a bit rusty around the edges after 4 years - along with some other spots on the frame. I stopped in at ETI last month to look around while in Chilliwack, and was amazed at how glossy the showroom model steps looked compared to mine.

Still love my Escape.
Consider adding a Bal Tongue Twister to help with lining up to your hitch. It’s well built and simplifies the hitching procedure. Well worth the cost and helps avoid arguments.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #58

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The secret to the step is quite simple, use both hands. if you keep it level and raise and lower, it should function properly. It is when using one hand or the step becomes caught since it was not level, then it hangs up.

I do and it still gets all goobered up. Very annoying.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:41 AM   #59

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
Lining up for hitching is when any nearby kids get to learn new words. My tow has a back up camera, but can still take up to 5 shots to line it up right. Worst is shade while sunny out.

When I picked up the trailer, ETI had stuck on a piece of reflective tape on top/front of the hitch ball. That really helps a lot when I back up. I've learned (pretty much) where to line it up on the back up camera and it's (pretty much) spot on.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #60

Trailer: none
On our previous trailer (a 24 ft. HiLo) we found these to be helpful:

https://www.hitchinrods.com/

And using the acronym G.O.A.L. is helpful as well (Get Out And Look)!