Escape new features - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
From the sound of it "High Lift" is no longer a relevant term for newer trailers, however, on our 2010 5.0 our Bill of Sale lists "High lift Axel (add 2" spacer on frame)". - N/C (no charge). In reality the spacer was 1.5". At the time of ordering Reace mentioned the various angles for the suspension arm but whether or not an alternate angle was used on our trailer - I don't know. Which leads to another question. If we are out in the middle of nowhere and an axle fails do we know which one to order? I'm assuming the worst case scenario- say we are unable to contact ETI.

GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #52
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Might want to get the part number used from ETI or the label on the actual axle and file it away if you're concerned. Dexter axles are widely available, not just from ETI.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #53

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
If we are out in the middle of nowhere and an axle fails do we know which one to order? I'm assuming the worst case scenario- say we are unable to contact ETI.
There are enough dimensions and other specifications in a Torflex axle assembly that it is not practical for anyone to stock all of them, and so they are usually built-to-order. That means it is going to take a while - long enough to contact ETI. If necessary, everything can be measured from the original axle by any competent trailer repair shop or careful and technically-minded owner; the exception would be the internal rubber if trimmed to lower than full capacity... and that should be on the label on the axle assembly (I don't think the 5.0 was ever trimmed to less than 3500 pound capacity). The start angle can be seen externally, and since it only comes in one of a few standard choices it doesn't even require precision measurement.

Even if we had a comprehensive list of Escape model variations, I think it would be prudent to measure carefully to determine the correct replacement axle assembly, if one is ever required.

Fortunately, sudden axle failure is rare, and I believe essentially non-existent with properly maintained bearings; again there's an exception, which is collision damage.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Might want to get the part number used from ETI or the label on the actual axle and file it away if you're concerned.
I don't think a single part number will do it, but there is usually a sticker or placard on the axle with everything needed - it would make sense to me to take a clear photo of this before road debris and weather make it unreadable.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Might want to get the part number used from ETI or the label on the actual axle and file it away if you're concerned. Dexter axles are widely available, not just from ETI.
Dexter makes Lift Kits for its #9 through #12 axles
Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Torflex Lift Kit
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #56

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
From the sound of it "High Lift" is no longer a relevant term for newer trailers, however, on our 2010 5.0 our Bill of Sale lists "High lift Axel (add 2" spacer on frame)". - N/C (no charge). In reality the spacer was 1.5". At the time of ordering Reace mentioned the various angles for the suspension arm but whether or not an alternate angle was used on our trailer - I don't know. Which leads to another question. If we are out in the middle of nowhere and an axle fails do we know which one to order? I'm assuming the worst case scenario- say we are unable to contact ETI.
A high lift axle option is available for the 15' and 17' at present. A number of Escape owners have wanted them, mostly boondockers.

Someone on the spot can figure out what axle you would need in the unlikely event yours fails. Or take a camera phone! Then maybe someone can figure it out long distance.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Good info, but from previous descriptions of the amount of lift, ETI has used a similar arrangement but with smaller dimensions, for a less extreme lift. Escape Torflex axles are the #10 model.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Someone on the spot can figure out what axle you would need in the unlikely event yours fails. Or take a camera phone!
... and a tape measure.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:49 PM   #59

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Since high lift is an option only for the 15' and 17', I take it that all 19's and 21's are being made higher than a 15' or 17'. I am not sure that was always the case with the 19' however.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #60

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
This is good information. In selling our trailer I have had a few inquires about replacing the lift. The Dexter Kit is simply bolt in while the Escape version was welded.
Thanks.

GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote