Escape Quality - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2015, 11:43 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Plasticized paper on luan I think. If it was a veneer, it would absorb moisture, dirt and stains.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:02 AM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Plasticized paper on luan I think. If it was a veneer, it would absorb moisture, dirt and stains.
Lauan plywood.

But the Escape cabinet and drawer faces are all true oak veneer surrounded by real oak trim, and these are the most handled areas in the trailer. Mine are holding up well: no dirt or stains, polyurethane protects wood very well against incidental moisture. How do yours look? Btw, My boat has lots of wood veneers and the moisture there isn't just incidental.

My point isn't that the paper faced veneer material isn't suitable for the intended use. I'm saying I know wood, and being surrounded by a lot of it, I can tell the difference between the drawer and cupboards (real) and the printed pattern on the bulkheads and moulding from six feet away.

I guess I need a wider trailer

Regards,

Matt

Old 10-04-2015, 12:11 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I know it is paper-faced and I am still trying to figure out how someone had VHB tape on it and a whole bunch of heavy items hung up and the paper never came down.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #34

You obviously know more than I do about wood and can spell lauan.
I damaged a panel by removing a 3M Command hook without reading the instructions for doing so. Ended up putting the hook back in the same place.

- Bertolt Brecht
Old 10-04-2015, 01:05 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
When I lifted the dinette cushions and bed mattress I found unsealed plywood and framework. When there is condensation on the vinyl it runs onto the unprotected wood.

It will absorb moisture, dirt and stains ..... and also breed mold and mildew. Is this considered 'best' build quality?
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:06 AM   #36

Thank you Klem.

- Bertolt Brecht
Old 10-04-2015, 06:50 AM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
There is certainly no reason why one can not seal or coat any area it is felt protection is needed, if my condensation was bad enough to start mold, I'd want to find the source. As far as veneer vs real wood, I'd say weight would prohibit such. I'm sure a wood maker would want better materials but he is not a trailer manufacturer who must keep things as light as possible. There are far too many threads around where owners want to not have to tow with a diesel truck. Looking at the Airstream custom wood interiors, beautiful but heavy. It is a compromise one makes.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:09 AM   #38

Trailer: 5.0TA
As my bride and I have not yet taken delivery of our Escape 5.0TA (pick up date 11/23/15) I can not comment on the quality control of the Escape products however I have previously had two other fiberglass trailers and two stick built trails. The fiberglass trailers (Bigfoot and Casita) were far superior to the two stick built in structural integrity but all had some quality control issues discovered after delivery. I found Casita very responsive to the minor issues I encountered, Bigfoot not at all responsive as they and our dealer went bankrupt about ninety days after we purchased the trailer.
I received an email from Escape Friday stating that they were implementing a "Customer Management Program" and would be unable to respond to emails, access customer files etc. until after Oct. 2 when the new system had been implemented. It appears from that email that ETI management is addressing customer issues including communication and possible quality concerns. The ETI email was for me a positive assurance that ETI is working towards becoming more responsive to customer inquires and concerns. This is a refreshing change from the lack of communication I (we) have received from Volkswagen regarding our new TDI Jetta and it's not so clean burn diesel engine.
oilhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #39

Trailer: Escape
Zardoz
Was ETI able to resolve the 4.3 refer insufficient cooling problem ?
"my refrigerator did not meet my performance expectations, and I like many others am subject to the current frame recall. However, each time I raised these issues with ETI, they provided the parts and/or resources necessary to resolve all of my issues."
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #40

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
The trailers are better than stick builts for sure, thats wwhy we all purchased them. But if you dont speak up about deficiencies then escape can make no improvements. We did not like the construction sawdust in cupboards, room for improvement. Still acgreat trailer.
ken

KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote