Friendly Message From Karl - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 01:09 PM   #1

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Friendly Message From Karl

This just popped up in my Inbox. "Recently, we emailed you regarding your Escape Trailer and US State Sales Taxes.

This is a reminder that we need your help. May you please fill out the survey (even if there is no State tax) and upload a picture of your registration receipt if applicable, i.e., the proof that your tax was paid when you registered your trailer at https://escapetrailer.com/tax/
This is much appreciated."

Warm regards,
Karl

Anyone have a clue why Karl needs proof that I paid my sales tax? Why it is anyone's business at Escape Trailer Industry to know this stuff?
Old 10-19-2022, 01:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
... Anyone have a clue why Karl needs proof that I paid my sales tax? Why it is anyone's business at Escape Trailer Industry to know this stuff?
If you click the link, read the text on the webpage, and watch the video on that page methinks your questions will be answered.

Participation is voluntary. ETI doesn't "need" your info, they would "like" it to make things a bit easier for them. Personally, I'm not comfortable providing the requested documentation to ETI, so haven't, but that's just me .... YMMV, no worries.
Old 10-19-2022, 02:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd reply that all applicable taxes are paid when registering the trailer and obtaining tags
Old 10-19-2022, 03:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
This is a reminder that we need your help. May you please fill out the survey Anyone have a clue why Karl needs proof that I paid my sales tax? Why it is anyone's business at Escape Trailer Industry to know this stuff?
I had this happen when I purchased my Corsair F24 Mk II sailboat from a dealer in Florida before I was a Florida resident. The dealership was being audited, they didn't charge me sales tax because I was taking the trailer out of state. I had to mail in a gas receipt from out of Florida to the some office in Florida to prove I had taken the boat and trailer out of the Florida. The tax auditor wanted proof that the boat was registered outside of Florida and that sales taxes were being paid somewhere.

I suspect that something similar is occurring at Escape. Some tax agency in BC / Canada wants to make sure the trailer is being taxed by someone.

For Ohio and likely other states the Sales Tax is recorded on the title.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Escape 19 Sales Tax.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	65444
Old 10-19-2022, 03:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
If you click the link, read the text on the webpage, and watch the video on that page methinks your questions will be answered.

Participation is voluntary.
Methinks there is nothing in it for me.
Old 10-19-2022, 03:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'd reply that all applicable taxes are paid when registering the trailer and obtaining tags
How's about, our relationship ended once I paid for the trailer, took possession, and found out that the warranty is relatively useless.
Old 10-19-2022, 03:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Methinks there is nothing in it for me.
I appreciate this is a big request, so as a token of our appreciation we will enter everyone who participates into a draw for a chance to win one of ten $300 gift cards or gifts of similar value.

Quote:
How's about, our relationship ended once I paid for the trailer, took possession, and found out that the warranty is relatively useless.
What warranty issue did you have that you feel wasn't properly resolved by Escape?
Old 10-19-2022, 05:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 E19
We too received Karl's request. I can't speak for the state of Pennsylvania, but in Arizona, we paid the applicable state sales tax during the second failed attempt (on the part of the state) to remove all human-to-human interaction from the process of registering a vehicle in the state. I speculate here, but would suggest that the state lost track of the monies paid into the coffers, and is trying to reconstruct what happened. As is par for the course here, the agency and its' parent are looking for third parties to reconstruct fee collection history, and threatening an innocent party to provide the data.
Old 10-19-2022, 06:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 E21C
It's called "karma", Karl. In this case it's bad karma having been established between ETI and the Escape ownership community by ETI's lack of customer support attitude, ETI's unfortunate handling of the Suburban cooktop affair, and most recently ETI's exorbitant price increases. Welcome to the world of customer relations by investment group as opposed to customer relations by Ma and Pa who started the business and built it up as it was supposed have been.

If Karl wants cooperation like this, he's got more to live down than his regular smiley happy-nothing's wrong-all's well video appearances will ever achieve. What comes around goes around.

John
Old 10-19-2022, 07:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
It's called "karma", Karl. In this case it's bad karma having been established between ETI and the Escape ownership community by ETI's lack of customer support attitude, ETI's unfortunate handling of the Suburban cooktop affair, and most recently ETI's exorbitant price increases. Welcome to the world of customer relations by investment group as opposed to customer relations by Ma and Pa who started the business and built it up as it was supposed have been.

If Karl wants cooperation like this, he's got more to live down than his regular smiley happy-nothing's wrong-all's well video appearances will ever achieve. What comes around goes around.

John
I don’t really understand the anger, but if that’s how you feel, cool…
If I was that upset I’d probably just sell my camper, since you’d get top dollar right now, and move on.
Have you bought groceries lately, it’s like gas, it’s so bad I don’t even do the comparison of deals anymore-a first for me.

I still don’t understand how anyone thinks this nightmare isn’t affecting Escape.

The whole send in your info so as to pass it onto the government, maybe that’s normal in Canada. Not happening here-
Old 10-19-2022, 07:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I don’t really understand the anger, but if that’s how you feel, cool…
If I was that upset I’d probably just sell my camper, since you’d get top dollar right now, and move on.
I don't see anger from the previous post, however I see a bit of cavalier attitude now with the "just sell my camper" statement.

Presumably that individual waited well over a year like most others here. And it's true- ETI has done one thing after the next as soon as Reace left the building for the last time.

If one has only been around since 2021 then they are probably unaware of the policies that have been bad for buyers and owners. The first was deleting after sale service. For many things- especially warranty items- ETI is much better equipped to resolve the issue. Of course one has to be somewhat proximate to ETI for this to make sense, however we purposely planned a trip up to B.C. just prior to our warranty expiring to have a punch list taken care of.
Old 10-19-2022, 08:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I don't see anger from the previous post, however I see a bit of cavalier attitude now with the "just sell my camper" statement.

Presumably that individual waited well over a year like most others here. And it's true- ETI has done one thing after the next as soon as Reace left the building for the last time.

If one has only been around since 2021 then they are probably unaware of the policies that have been bad for buyers and owners. The first was deleting after sale service. For many things- especially warranty items- ETI is much better equipped to resolve the issue. Of course one has to be somewhat proximate to ETI for this to make sense, however we purposely planned a trip up to B.C. just prior to our warranty expiring to have a punch list taken care of.
Huh? I definitely see anger and animosity... I agree with Ooshkaboo,
I don't remember getting the notification from Karl for my new trailer, but was out of the country for a few months. I wouldn't respond other than its registered in my home state of Florida who collect sales tax prior to registration..... Sales tax check was the hardest payment made IMHO....ya get nothing for it!
Old 10-19-2022, 08:22 PM   #13

Quote:

Anger, resentful, upset-you pick-
Life’s way too short to not just move on from what you consider a bad situation for yourself.

I’ve been around this type of change all my life, and have seen the same type of-I can’t believe this is happening from people. Offhand I can’t think of one thing that hasn’t eventually taken this course, in fact the ones that didn’t haven’t survived.

My bet is on Karl has known for quite some time this was his ultimate plan-he’s always been in business mode.

Friend of mine has 6 houses all next to each other, all are currently under contract to be sold. They will be leveled, paving paradise.
Tenants will be informed they will have X months to find somewhere else to live, and it will be on the new commercial property owners to deal with them. Some have been there 20 plus years and are accustomed to paying very reasonable rents.
Sounds like a tough deal for the residents, but as you look at both sides of the equation, the owner is paying taxes to a government that is relentless. On top of that the area is being allowed to be ruined by crime, by that same government.

Change happens, I’ve just learned to accept it.
Old 10-19-2022, 08:47 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
And I've learned

And I've learned to dismiss your missives.
Old 10-19-2022, 08:58 PM   #15

Yep- too much swagger there from the real-estate mogul who seems to live in a well insulated world.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Yep- too much swagger there from the real-estate mogul who seems to live in a well insulated world.
Madison Wisconsin, Southern California-me in Ferguson is the one living in the bubble…

————————————————————————————————————-
“Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.”
-Buddha-
Old 10-19-2022, 09:34 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
"After sale service"? In British Columbia? How about the rest of Escape owners scattered over the continent? Clearly Escape, like others in the factory-sales business, will reimburse customers for warranty service in approved facilities where customers live. From the website:

Quote:
If Escape Trailer Industries is not within reasonable proximity for service, Escape Trailer Industries will work with a reputable service center near the customer.
My impression is that Karl is making an effort to keep Escape owners and prospective buyers up-to-date with his video newsletters. The personal connection is valuable even to second-hand buyers, like me. I never saw anything like that from Casita.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:41 PM   #18

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

Participation is voluntary. ETI doesn't "need" your info, they would "like" it to make things a bit easier for them. Personally, I'm not comfortable providing the requested documentation to ETI, so haven't, but that's just me .... YMMV, no worries.
Thanks for your input, Alan. Very concise. You also contributed to the "Sales Tax" discussion in a previous post:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tax-22548.html

Cheers,
Darrell
Old 10-19-2022, 09:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
"After sale service"? In British Columbia? How about the rest of Escape owners scattered over the continent? Clearly Escape, like others in the factory-sales business, will reimburse customers for warranty service in approved facilities where customers live. From the website:

My impression is that Karl is making an effort to keep Escape owners and prospective buyers up-to-date with his video newsletters. The personal connection is valuable even to second-hand buyers, like me. I never saw anything like that from Casita.
So I addressed the proximity challenge and know it doesn't work for everyone, however if it is such a small percentage of owners why did ETI shut it down?

There is a "Honeymoon Syndrome" that is not new. Most people who have just bought their trailer are just in love with it, and understandably so. Others have problems from the get-go and some don't get the support from ETI they think they deserve. So, as with many things: different strokes.
Old 10-19-2022, 10:04 PM   #20

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Madison Wisconsin, Southern California-me in Ferguson is the one living in the bubble…

————————————————————————————————————-
“Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.”
-Buddha-
Are you not in Hazelwood, MO? The topic of radioactive contamination in Coldwater Creek associated with nuclear waste has made the national news recently. I understand that his has impacted suburban St. Louis. The news focused on a school in the Hazelwood School District/Florissant.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...6e8f01c30.html

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/17/11293...mentary-school

Heck of a mess. Per MPR news, the Army Corps of Engineers has been working for 20 years thus far to clean up the area. I suppose we will be contributing more of our federal tax dollars to the clean up in years to come.
Closed Thread