Front trailer box—any other options? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2019, 07:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Cycle Kamp motorcycle trailer
Front trailer box—any other options?

Build list on my 19 due May 17–trying to extract as much info as I can from Forum members. If you do not get the $700 front storage box that encloses the batteries in the front does Escape supply a cover for the batteries similar to the cover for the propane tanks? I will be installing an e2 hwd/antisway bars on the trailer and I noticed that the bars can interfere with the storage box on some applications. Considering using a lightweight hitch receiver box to help load the back end of trailer if needed(up to the recommended 150 lbs. total weight on the rear receiver).
Does this make any sense? Or is it just a given that one always has the front storage box? I know it also acts as a rock guard, but are there other alternatives? Thanks!

Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 21
Get the box- it is about 24% off for you isn't it? They used to put the batteries under a dinette bench. If ordering a 19 I would ask if that is still possible to free up space in the box- yet even if not the box rocks!

Old 04-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Get the box and the batteries, in the words of a man much wiser than me, “you need plenty of weight on the front end of those 19’s. I had 420 lbs tongue weight on ours. Towed very well. I did have the standard Pro Tow hitch however, and there was no interference. 3640 lbs. was trailer weight ready to camp. YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 04-29-2019, 08:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 21
His MWV- the Gen2 19 gained more weight than any other Gen1-Gen2 trailer. About 450# more. Not really good for that Lexus 450h I saw a camper towing his Gen1 19 with despite it's 3500# tow limit. Wonder if that is why he sold it recently.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmantra View Post
Does this make any sense? Or is it just a given that one always has the front storage box? I know it also acts as a rock guard, but are there other alternatives?
You could always fabricate your own. Several of us have. My Gen1 19 came with one battery in a battery box exposed behind the propane tanks. Don't know if that's still the case.

My box maximizes the space and contains two 12 volt batteries as well as all my ground tackle. I made alcoves to accommodate the WD hooks. This gives more interior volume.

Personally, I couldn't do without a front tongue box.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-04-2014 5-19-26 PM11_resize.jpg (125.1 KB, 24 views)
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Get the box & 6 volt batteries you will never regret the purchase. Wheel chocks, fresh water hose, Jack & star tire iron, sewer hose fittings & 20’ portable solar wires all fit in there with a little more room left over for light weight what have yahs.
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:18 AM   #7
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
Quote:
Build list on my 19 due May 17–trying to extract as much info as I can from Forum members. If you do not get the $700 front storage box that encloses the batteries in the front does Escape supply a cover for the batteries similar to the cover for the propane tanks? I will be installing an e2 hwd/antisway bars on the trailer and I noticed that the bars can interfere with the storage box on some applications. Considering using a lightweight hitch receiver box to help load the back end of trailer if needed(up to the recommended 150 lbs. total weight on the rear receiver).
Does this make any sense? Or is it just a given that one always has the front storage box? I know it also acts as a rock guard, but are there other alternatives? Thanks!
I just came back from Tulalip Washington today. I was pulling my 2018 19 ft. with an E2 hitch and a front mounted storage box. The wind was very strong through the Skagit valley and in spite of the heavy truck traffic on I5 my rig was rock steady at 60-70 MPH. I could feel the cross wind but the trailer was not moving and I didn't need to correct with steering. My hitch does not interfere with the storage box. Both were installed by Escape Industries. I have the twin six volt batteries installed inside the storage box. They put the batteries in the center of the box and put a plywood cover over the top that is firmly mounted. I put an amazing amount of cables, hoses, chocks, gloves and exterior use items in that box. I can still access the batteries to hook up my portable solar panel. The box is dry sealed and lockable and easy to get at. The only downside to the storage box is that it is limited to 100 lbs and the fiber glass is too fragile to put the E2 hitch in when parked. I priced the E2 hitch at camping world as I thought the Escape price was too high. They were very similar and Escape did a great job setting it up to my tow vehicle. My rig is level front to back with good tongue weight.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:04 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Yes, get both from Escape, they are experts in setting up their equalizer hitch with the front box and the front box is indispensable and you want weight on the front, not rear.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:03 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
If you do not get the $700 front storage box that encloses the batteries in the front does Escape supply a cover for the batteries similar to the cover for the propane tanks?
If you do not get the storage box, the battery comes in a common small battery box (or two boxes for two batteries).

Quote:
I will be installing an e2 hwd/antisway bars on the trailer and I noticed that the bars can interfere with the storage box on some applications. Considering using a lightweight hitch receiver box to help load the back end of trailer if needed(up to the recommended 150 lbs. total weight on the rear receiver).
Does this make any sense? Or is it just a given that one always has the front storage box?
The optional front box didn't even exist for at least the first few years of Escape production, and most similar trailers of other brands don't even offer a similar box. Although it is a popular option, it's not required.

If you insist on carrying more stuff than fits in the trailer, and use a rear cargo box instead of one on the front, there are some potential issues.
  • Any mass hung at the extreme back of the trailer will reduce towing stability.
  • If it is low enough, a rear box or carrier can drag on the ground when driving through dips (such as driveway entrances).
  • Any rear box or carrier will likely block access to the spare tire.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I think the front storage box makes up for only one standard side storage hatch being installed by ETI from the factory...but at a price. I can see if you are living full time in your trailer that it would be a must have...but

Another option.

If you are just a weekend camper, you can get ETI to put in another side hatch way cheaper to hold more of that exterior type stuff.

Only one hatch and the price of the front storage box was not appealing to me so I installed 3 more side hatches for $45 each. I hate digging under cushions.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote