My build sheet: FIVE more days - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2017, 08:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Question My build sheet: FIVE more days

Down to the wire--Here's the latest. Decisions due Thursday 12/21. All suggestions welcome and appreciated. XX indicates undecided items.

17A with two dinettes

Stainless stove top and range hood, stove cover not installed
XX Winterizing T Valve (I only have fresh water tank, do I need this?)
Dual 6 v batteries
Surge Protector
Power cord
Upper rear lights
AC
Wireless camera
Extra insulation
Opening Kitchen window
High lift axle
XX Power Tongue Jack (yes, if it allows back hatch of tow vehicle to open)
XX Exterior hatches d/s f, p/s f, p/s r (number changes hourly)
Storage box
XX 12 v interior (# and placement)
XX 120 interior (# and placement)
XX Captain's lights--possible 4 in corners, undecided
Prewire for portable solar
Convert front bed to dinette
Custom formica, folkstone grafix FormicaŽ Laminate - Folkstone Grafix
Custom floor, mannington niagara waterfall https://www.mannington.com/Residenti...Niagara/130372
Custom fabric, cushions separate from valances
Full wrap on all cushions
XX trim cream or white
Graphic color : real teal
Umbra hooks
XX probably some equalizer/sway hitch--no clue which
XX cover (might hold off on this--maybe purchase shed cover)
Springfield 3 stage pedestal for back dinette (seldom used as bed but I want to be able to put down for travel)
XX Front table cut to 32 inches (will be my bed platform up against front wall)
XX 20 inch piece filler board, to be used if it's ever a full bed, and also, for a bridge across the far back of the back dinette, with cushions so it looks/functions like U shaped if desired.
h2owmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
......17A with two dinettes

XX Winterizing T Valve (I only have fresh water tank, do I need this?)
XX Exterior hatches d/s f, p/s f, p/s r (number changes hourly)
Storage box
XX 12 v interior (# and placement)
XX 120 interior (# and placement)
XX Captain's lights--possible 4 in corners, undecided
Barbara,
Some great choices there.
Comments:
--T-valve: I'm not sure you need one, either. Do you have a hot water tank? If not, then your only water lines are short ones, from the top of the tank to the pump under the driver side dinette, and from the pump through a check valve and up to the sink faucet. All lines are PEX plastic, and all are within the trailer.
--Exterior hatches: since you're having an all-dinette trailer made, I would think that access to all those areas is as easy as moving the cushion and lifting the plywood lid. No outside hatches means less openings in the shell, a little more insulation, and a little more security; and a little cheaper.
--we wished we had more 12V/5V inside. ETI provides (1) 12V-DC round cigarette lighter-type receptacle that also has a 5V-DC USB port over it. (see photo). I added some more 5V USB's, so we could charge our phones and other stuff, without a pile on the floor under the wardrobe, where the only 12V/5V was. Think about where you'll charge phones, etc., and use other 12V or 5V-USB. There is 120VAC at the rear passenger dinette; that might be a good place for 12V / 5V for phone charging. We also had a 12V DC added on the exterior next to the exterior 120VAC, for musical instrument amps. and a little air compressor for air mattresses and flotation stuff.
--120VAC: there are 3 inside, plus one at the microwave. It's enough for us.
-- We got the Captain's lights in all 4 corners, and use them a lot. Half the time we turn them to face the wall so we get great indirect lighting, esp. for reading before sleep.

Have fun; almost done!
Attached Thumbnails
Running light switch.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Decisions, decisions!

I take it that you expect to winterize (everyone in California does not) since you may order the winterizing t-valve. It is used to pump anti-freeze through your water pump (which protects the pump) and on through the lines and through the toilet valve (which can freeze and crack and cost you). It is an easy way to winterize, taking the anti-freeze up through the faucets and toilet.

We added an extra hatch as we knew what we were using it for and don't have to go into the trailer for items needed on the exterior when raining or muddy, or even in good weather, to get to them. Also, our benches are not that convenient to get into as we have counter extensions.

Can't have too many 120v and 12v outlets AFAIAC. We also have the USB ones and use them. They are very handy.

We definitely like the Captain's lights also. We have two and don't really need more, at the bed anyway.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:38 AM   #4

Does anyone have a picture of cushions and valance that are different fabrics? That was my plan and now I'm waffling. I'd love to see some photos.

Anyone know the vertical measure of the valances? Looks like about 3 or 3.5 inches?
Old 12-17-2017, 01:24 PM   #5

Thanks for the outlet picture, and for the encouragement. Can you explain the advantage, if any, for the usb/round outlet combination? In my current trailer, I just plug in a car double usb adapter into the single round outlet and charge phone/tablet from there. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Thanks for the outlet picture, and for the encouragement. Can you explain the advantage, if any, for the usb/round outlet combination? In my current trailer, I just plug in a car double usb adapter into the single round outlet and charge phone/tablet from there. Thanks.
Barbara,
Your adapter works as well. It's just convenience; I can never find the adapters when I want them, usually because they've been borrowed (by me) to use in the other vehicle, etc.
The real problem we had was, that was the only 12V outlet, so phone charging occurred right on the floor by the bed, and I've almost stepped on a phone a few times.
So, I built a shelf under one of the overhead cabinets (photo), and put USB outlets there, for phone, 2-way radios, scanner, and then also put a wifi booster there. . I had ETI stub 12V DC into all of the overhead cabinets, just in case, as part of the build.
Attached Thumbnails
JefaTech power switch.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
I love having an exterior hatch. I can reach my electrical cord, thingie for lowering the stabilizer jacks, etc. to set up camp without running in and out of the trailer and lifting the board and cushion. Mine is under the bed/dinette and I usually have it set up as a bed for travel and have items piled on top.

I put 12V receptacles in every spot where there was also 120V since I camp a lot without electrical hookups. I can't say I've needed them in every interior location though but I can plug in a lot of phone chargers for me and others.

I have captain's lights in two corners. I really like them for reading at night in bed.

So many new options since I bought my 17B in 2015! Wish I had some of them.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #8

Thanks for your help, Nindy. Do you have the front storage box? I'm getting that, so I think a lot of setup stuff will go in there. I could have three hatches, but at the moment, I'm thinking I'll only get the back passenger side one. I hadn't thought about security and insulation as Don suggests...good points.

Where are your captain's lights...at the front bed, or in the dinette made into a bed area?

I like the name of your trailer!
Old 12-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #9
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
We opted to forgo the sound system as we can bring our own system with us. As a result, we opted for a larger cabinet opening where the speakers should be and it gives us a lot more storage space over the rear bed of our 19.

My wife loves the captains lights in the dining area in particular to read and do her needlepoint. We also have two over the bed.

Phil
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I know your trailer has a completely different layout than ours, but I do like the outside hatch by the electrical outlet as I keep the removable power cord in that hatch, along with a few other things. I've not used the one that's under the bed very much, so I consider that one kind of worthless.

Get as many outlets as you can. You'll never know what the future might hold for ya in using it.

Yep on the captain's lights. I like LOTS of light when reading and I make full use of the ones over the bed, as well as the one over me when I'm reading on my dinette (u-shape). Again, you don't know how you might use it until you start using it and I imagine it's far easier to get them installed now instead of later.

Make sure the full wrap on your cushions gets on the build sheet. I speak from experience on that and I'm still peeved about it (new gal at ETI was their excuse for not putting it on the build sheet even though it was confirmed in emails; hey, we were new to all that and thought that was enough).

You mentioned a cover - I'm assuming you mean one from someone other than ETI. We have a Calmark on order and I'm really looking forward to getting it. I'm also looking forward to less washing (and waxing ??) of the trailer.

Good luck on your fabric/valence choice. If possible, I would have the two different combinations next to each other to see if you like the effect. Granted, they won't be next to each other in the trailer, but you'll get an idea of how it'll look. We didn't get their window shades/valences and installed double cell, black-out shades instead for a tidy sum (we installed them ourselves).
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Re: power jack - if the tailgate doesn't clear, you can use a Jack-E-Up which will help with that situation. Ours was really close/was hitting until Dirk dremeled off a bit of plastic over the control buttons. Buttons still work and tailgate clears it.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #12

NW Cat--what an interesting idea! I am not sure I would want to be removing that heavy electric jack every time I want to get into the back of my Highlander while on the road. Is that what is necessary?

Nindy, I don't think I could get a hatch near my electrical cord...there's a lot of "stuff" in that location (driver's side rear corner) . Am I looking in the right place?

P&L, interesting idea re the bigger door, I will check that out. Do you recall if there was an upcharge?

Lastly, am I understanding that most lights are placed in the four corners of the trailer? Or where you sleep, two on one side?

Thanks, all. Almost done!
Old 12-18-2017, 06:57 PM   #13

Jack-E-Up

My understanding is that you leave it in place. I think CPAHarley had one on a previous trailer and maybe still does.

Here's their website:

New Shop – Jack-E-Up
Old 12-18-2017, 07:18 PM   #14

The Jack-E-Up allows removal of the winding jack post to stow it in a truck or car, to allow a tailgate or hatch back to open.

I don't have any trouble opening my hatch with the jack I have now (hand powered). I couldn't open the tailgate when I briefly installed an electric jack.

Here's a video: https://youtu.be/dD1M-t2eqxM
Old 12-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #15

NW Cat, I meant the cover that ETI sells. Do you (or does anyone) have any experience with it?

I am thinking I will leave that off the list until I see what I'm going to do at home for shelter for my trailer.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:18 PM   #16

Fabrics floor Formica

Down to the two Formica, leaning toward light and then white trim.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1211.jpg  
Old 12-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
Your choices are beautiful! Looks great together!
Porterville, CA
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:36 PM   #18
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
P&L, interesting idea re the bigger door, I will check that out. Do you recall if there was an upcharge?

Lastly, am I understanding that most lights are placed in the four corners of the trailer? Or where you sleep, two on one side?

Thanks, all. Almost done!
Hi There! You bring back fond memories of when we did our build. We ordered a 36" Opening/Door at Rear Overhead Bed Area and that was $100 Canadian in 2015. We love it as it gives us more access to our clothing which we store in packing cubes.

While I'm at it other things we love: on the rear bumper it is Bike Rack Ready; under the seating got Cabinet Door at end of Bench for easy access for shoes and misc; and we rotated the stove 90 degrees (for more counter space) ---we don't even notice it is turned!

We placed two captains lights on the side we sleep (wish we don't face the fridge as the lights are bright), and on the opposite two corners over the dining area.

Happy planning!
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Down to the two Formica, leaning toward light and then white trim.
Well, personally, I like the darker formica as it looks like it matches the tan in your fabric better. But I don't have to sit inside of it like you will.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:31 PM   #20

Quote:
NW Cat, I meant the cover that ETI sells. Do you (or does anyone) have any experience with it?
Oh, didn't know they sold a cover. Granted, I've not kept up with their options since we got our trailer. Or maybe it's just with that size as opposed to the 21 we got. Assuming you mean a cover for the entire trailer, not just the spare tire.