Passport - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2018, 07:10 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Casita SD
Passport

Hi all! Do I need a passport to visit the escape factory? If so how does one get a passport? I tried the forum search and came up blank. Thanks in advance.
Paul
Paul & Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Yes. This is per the US State Department website.

Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship.

There is also this link on how to apply for a passport.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-to-apply.html
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Passports

A full passport can be obtained in 2-6 weeks. Instructions on how to obtain one are at major post offices or on line. Initial passports are more time consuming to obtain than renewals.

In your case a passport card would be useful. These are primarily for travel from border states into either Canada or Mexico.
Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:30 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21 2018 "Gypsy Cat"
Yes, I believe you will need to present one at the border (likely Sumas, WA). You can fill out your passport application online and print it to take to your local post office. I had to schedule an appointment at the post office to submit the application and pay fees. Many drug stores are set up to take the necessary passport photo at their photography counter. Pay attention to the instructions regarding photo requirements as there are specifics your photo must meet to be acceptable. If you can work ahead of when you will need the passport that’s best. There is an expedited process that will get you the passport in a couple of weeks, but it costs more. Good luck!

— Claude
MadCAT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
My wife and I have pass cards , they were less expensive and work for entering Canada and Mexico by motor vehicle but the pass cards are limited on where you can go and which mode of transportation .
We are currently applying for a full passport so we can fly into Vancouver BC next Fall cause our pass card won’t work
If your going through the effort you might as well get a passport , the cost difference is not that significant
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:13 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21'
You can get a passport in a couple of days, but the faster you need it the more you will pay.

The normal process is relatively simple if you have the time. We printed the forms, read them carefully, filled them out, brought all the necessary documents to our post office (ours took appointments), and paid the nominal fee. I usually forgot something and had to go back so take my advice with a grain of salt......
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Passport cards worked great for us to go get the trailer and are less expensive. One caution is that they are only valid for driving into CA or Mex. can’t use them to fly in intl or cruise ships.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:15 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCAT3 View Post
Pay attention to the instructions regarding photo requirements as there are specifics your photo must meet to be acceptable.

— Claude
Yes! One photograph requirement is NO EYEWEAR. Having to retake the photograph and resubmit the application will delay the process.....

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
US Passports are good for 10 years for those age 16 or older. While some work to get it initially the renewal process is much easier. It’s well worth to effort to get it.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:23 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Passports

My daughter Teresa and Son in Law Todd had a baby in May. She’s a person who does not like to break a streak like the Niagara Wine Escape attendance streak (2018 will be 5 in a row for her) so young William will be going along, passport clutched in his tiny fingers. Gotta start them camping and traveling early. It’ll only cost you a dollar (US) to hold him. See me.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-28-2018, 08:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 sold, 21NE on order
We will be bringing a dollar Dave.

Jack and Nancy
bouterse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:50 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
You will absolutely need a Passport to enter Canada. Last month I got mine from the Post Office. There you can get the necessary forms … take them home to fill out or fill out there as its not all that involved. With completed forms and after paying your fees, then have them take your picture too … then it will be of the proper size and such and they will mail to the processing center. Your picture will get rejected if you smile. Your Passport will arrive in about a month.

I got both a Passport and a Passport card. Official Passports are a bit large and awkward to fit in most pockets but a Passport card will fit in your wallet with your other standard ID's. Got the card cause sometimes I may not want to carry my Passport with me ….such as late nights walking around ( not thinking of our northern neighbors)…. where you might need identification. I forget the actual fees but seems to me I paid about $140 - $160 for both and they arrived in roughly a month. I did not request expedited service. Ask your local Post Office what the fees are … mine was a renewal.

Now here is my recent Pass Port story:

Last February 2018, I flew from Juneau, AK my home to Seattle and then Belligham where my trailer likes to live …. gave the TSA agent my passport for ID and was welcomed aboard. Drove from Bellingham to Mexicali, Mexico and enjoyed Northern Baja. Re-entered the USA at Tijuana / San Diego - ( I'll never do that again!). The border agent was agreeable but very through and again gave my Pass Port as ID. Because I had 3 potatoes that I had bought in San Diego before Mexico …. my bad I knew better … anyway was directed to an area to be interviewed by the US Dept. of Agriculture after about a 3 hour wait. Here again presented my Pass Port for ID. Next drove back to Bellingham and put my trailer to bed. Then boarded another plane for my flight to Seattle and then back home to Juneau … yep … Passport for ID for the TSA. About a week later I was going through a day of induction to be hired for a seasonal job with the City of Juneau. After presenting my Pass Port and drivers license for identification, I was informed that I needed another form of ID as my Pass Port had expired a year and a half ago.

Oh! My God! after all those TSA checks and two border crossings (thank goodness they didn't notice at Tijuana!!) and nobody noticed … except for a clerk for the City of Juneau. Give that woman a raise!

Scratching my head …. Tom
Old 08-29-2018, 05:04 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Casita SD
Thanks for all the great information. Will be stopping at the post office to pickup the forms.
Thanks again
Paul
Paul & Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote